More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

If Jon is both legitimised and named as Robb's heir, then he is Robb's heir. If Robb only legitimised him but did not specifically name him as heir, then Jon would go behind Bran and Rickon (and probably Sansa and Arya, too). Though that is just a technicality, if Jon could form a large faction to support him (or if someone else formed a large faction to support Jon), then Jon could win out over the other kids.

:agree:

I think of all the kids, only Sansa[controlled by LF, or just immersed in her previous dreamy views of the world, like in Game] would object to Jon taking the Northern Throne.

Well the Vale has not joined the war so far, so i'm guessing there are some maidens there just yet.. i hear Littlefinger's bastard daughter is quite pretty ;)

Cheers. Just occurred to me how those ads are so ubiquitous I don't even register them anymore most of the time. And then my brain, seeking elightenment Westerosi style, is baffled at a scrolling selection of women off to the left. Now it's telling me how to look 10-15 years younger.

Not really any point, just struck me.

That's very interesting about counting the campfires, thanks Lummel!

I have a terrible memory and can't remember what book/scene, but there is mention somewhere about estimating a host. It had something to do with counting banners and assuming x number of banners was a fixed guestimate. I remember what Lummel mentioned earlier about Barristan teaching Dany, and I think there was another example. I used to wonder how they knew host size as well, and was glad to see it addressed.

I have a terrible memory and can't remember what book/scene, but there is mention somewhere about estimating a host. It had something to do with counting banners and assuming x number of banners was a fixed guestimate. I remember what Lummel mentioned earlier about Barristan teaching Dany, and I think there was another example. I used to wonder how they knew host size as well, and was glad to see it addressed.

Thanks :). I started wondering about it kind of recently, but will pay attention from now on...I'm rereading ACOK and there's lots of battle planning in there.

Thanks :). I started wondering about it kind of recently, but will pay attention from now on...I'm rereading ACOK and there's lots of battle planning in there.

I'm on one of my re-reads; the nice thing about crappy memory is that no matter how many times I read the series, it's still fresh. I remember main storyline, of course, but I forget smaller threads and details.

I just finished Storm, but I don't know if I read the bit about the banners this year or last! See? It's frustrating. If I catch it in Dance or Feast, I'll let you know.

Does anyone have any information whatsoever on where I can find sexy singles in my area?

No, but I just save a bunch on my Car Insurance by shopping at ....

GRRM has said, much as in real life, that it is unclear who would claim a throne in either case(women or a bastard) that it mostly came down to who had the best backers(money, power, biggest army) and had the will to see it thru.

There's this quote which I cannot for the life of me remember. It's possible that it may have been in the TV show only. Maybe Baelish, but I'm not sure. How the court is full of liars, bad liars, good liars, one or two truly great liars. Can somebody help me find this? It's been nagging me. Not when he sees that all we're all liars here, and every one of us is better than you to Sansa. Similar, but different. I'm positive he says something about there being one or two truly great liars.

Ah. In that case Mednieks you had best stick to the "still reading" sub-forum because here there are spoilers everywhere, even in the thread titles. But even by the middle of ACOK there are a couple of clues.

First Varys is officially master of whispers for King Robert. As official spymaster he must be paid by the crown, and the crown must be providing him with some funds to buy information and hire agents. In ACOK Tyrion III Varys mentions some spies that he employs. Tyrion: "I saw no signs of any of her spies skulking after me." Varys "I am pleased to hear it, my lord. Some of your sister's hirelings are mine as well, unbeknownst to her. I should hate to think they had grown so sloppy as to be seen."

In addition to this Varys seems to have another network of spies that is funded by Illyrio. We learn about this in AGOT, the Arya chapter in which she hides among the dragon skulls.

"I must have gold, and another fifty birds."..."So many?...The ones you need are hard to find...so young, to know their letters...perhaps older...not die so easy..." "No. The younger are safer...treat them gently..." "If they kept their tongues..." "The risk..."

From the descriptions of the two men that Arya sees we can work out by ACOK that the two men were Illyrio and Varys (in the same disguise as he meets Tyrion in the above quote). The 'birds' are clearly not actual birds but creatures that can read and write but have had their tongues removed...we find out more in the books after ACOK.

There's this quote which I cannot for the life of me remember. It's possible that it may have been in the TV show only. Maybe Baelish, but I'm not sure. How the court is full of liars, bad liars, good liars, one or two truly great liars. Can somebody help me find this? It's been nagging me. Not when he sees that all we're all liars here, and every one of us is better than you to Sansa. Similar, but different. I'm positive he says something about there being one or two truly great liars.

Tyrion warns Shae in S02E01: "Can't trust anyone in King's Landing; they're all liars. Good liars, bad liars - one or two great liars." They proceed to have a mocking conversation about whether Tyrion is a liar also. I don't remember that line from the books, but without a kindle (and I only got the last book on kindle) I can't say for sure that it isn't there somewhere.

I think it was from both the books and the show, but I remember it from the show for sure. It's when Sansa realizes she won't marry Joff, but Margaery will, and she is crying out of happiness, but pretends it's out of grief. Then Baelish confronts her and tells her that she isn't free as she thinks, and that Joff will keep her as a play thing, tells her to drop her act, and then he says something like, "Look around you. The court is full of liars, and every single one of them is better than you".

Basically he is setting up shipping her out.

ETA: Sorry, I misread. You were talking exactly about "not this one". I should stop rushing.

Tyrion warns Shae in S02E01: "Can't trust anyone in King's Landing; they're all liars. Good liars, bad liars - one or two great liars." They proceed to have a mocking conversation about whether Tyrion is a liar also. I don't remember that line from the books, but without a kindle (and I only got the last book on kindle) I can't say for sure that it isn't there somewhere.

Thanks a lot. I have it as an epub on my laptop and I looked it up. It isn't there.

What was the book that Lord Bolton burned in Harrenhal?

Nevermind, I found this thread:

(page 4 has the book theory) Qyburn went to the library earlier, we know he's into the "dark arts", so presumably it's about sorcery, perhaps? I don't know if we'll ever know. Bolton will probably make an off-handed comment about the library in Harrenhall in 2 books & we'll get an enigmatic answer.

Here are more links on book burning threads that were on that page, now I'm curious:

Bolton burns a book, Roose Bolton's book burning, ACoK Roose's Bolton burning book and Frey dishonor

ETA: the last link doesn't work, I'll try & search for the topic, but basically, it's not a small question :/

Archived