More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Willem Darry, the Targaryen loyalist who took care of Viserys and Dany in their exile before he died.

Thanks, this was the options I was considering, since Aerys didn't really make sense to me. Need a reread.

Why didn't Robb allow Karstark to take the black? I just thought of that. Maybe it's not a small question, but it seems odd he didn't give that option to Karstark. Might of helped avoid alienating the Karstarks.

My best guess would be that if it was treason during time of peace, the Wall would have been the best option, but during wartime, and being a new and young king who is yet to make an impression, that's what determined the death sentence. It was war and he was young and newly "elected" - he had to appear harsh, strict, and well, stark.

Has Ned traveled to KL after Lyanna's death? I don't believe so, I'd say that he went to Starfall, then straight forward to Winterfell.

I'm pretty sure he did travel to King's Landing before going to Winterfell. Ned recalls that Lyanna's death brought them together after their falling out, which implies that Ned went to visit Robert soon after her death (I doubt their reconciliation occurred at Winterfell, as Robert needed to solidify his rule and couldn't afford spending too much time away from King's Landing).

I'm pretty sure he did travel to King's Landing before going to Winterfell. Ned recalls that Lyanna's death brought them together after their falling out, which implies that Ned went to visit Robert soon after her death (I doubt their reconciliation occurred at Winterfell, as Robert needed to solidify his rule and couldn't afford spending too much time away from King's Landing).

Hum...thanks!

They are Hother "Whoresbane" Umber and Arnolf Karstark

Thanks! I love this thread. It's so useful. It's like having your own personal google search team for Westeros.

I've mentioned before in posts, I have so much trouble remembering stuff, although I spend a lot of time re-reading these books- which is a mixed blessing. Where/how does the reader figure this out? Are the descriptions given later in ADWD or did you remember the Lords from when Robb called his banners?

I think I remember Storm's details the best, since it's my fav. This last re-read I didn't like Clash as much as I thought I remembered.

Thanks! I love this thread. It's so useful. It's like having your own personal google search team for Westeros.

I've mentioned before in posts, I have so much trouble remembering stuff, although I spend a lot of time re-reading these books- which is a mixed blessing. Where/how does the reader figure this out? Are the descriptions given later in ADWD or did you remember the Lords from when Robb called his banners?

I think I remember Storm's details the best, since it's my fav. This last re-read I didn't like Clash as much as I thought I remembered.

Arnolf is described in ADwD later with one shoulder higer than the other and looked like a vulture by Asha, and Hother is described in ACoK by Bran as having a gaunt appearance with a large white beard and we later learn Hother has joined Ramsay in driving the Ironmen from Moat Cailin.

This thread is pretty awesome. Unlike Google, the posters here don't answer questions unless they KNOW. This thread and it's ancestors are very helpful.

I swear to the old gods, and the new, my overall favorite book changes with every re-read. Lol

Masterly rank is one rung lower on the social ladder:

King

Lord

Master

Landed Knight

Knight

Scummy lowlife commoners

(note authentic social prejudice added for effect)

I think authentic social prejudice leaves off at knight. S.L.C.'s aren't beneath knights, they're beneath consideration, no?

Masterly rank is one rung lower on the social ladder:

King

Lord

Master

Landed Knight

Knight

Scummy lowlife commoners

(note authentic social prejudice added for effect)

Yeah, but practically, what's the difference? No way are the likes of Glover inferior to the likes of Locke.

In the North, there are (almost) no knights. Conversely, I don't remember any house of masterly rank from the south and none is listed as such on the wiki. Could it be that houses of masterly rank are just the northern equivalent of landed knights?

Yeah, but practically, what's the difference? No way are the likes of Glover inferior to the likes of Locke.

I don't doubt that someone with a lesser title can, through valor, wealth or connections distinguish himself over someone with a higher title, though there will still be some who insist that they are better because they're true lords and the Glovers aren't. So whether there's any practical difference might depend on through whose eyes you're looking.

ETA: According to an SSM, you have to have more rights as an actual lord, e.g. the right to dispense justice, unlike landed knights (and presumably masters).

If Stannis takes Winterfell (a) with no loss of life or ( B) killing half the men under Roose Bolton, and in both cases wins the surviving enemy troops' loyalty, then how many men will he have in total in his royal army (not counting the soon to come sellswords from Essos)?

~3000+ Mountain clans

~2000+ of his own men

~5000+ at Winterfell (assuming he takes it "by guile" instead of battle)

Add to that the total number of men he'll gain from the rest of the North once he has total control. Remember that this is occurring in the dead of winter, so it's up in the air whether he can feed those troops, whip them into shape transport them, .

~3000+ Mountain clans

~2000+ of his own men

~5000+ at Winterfell (assuming he takes it "by guile" instead of battle)

Add to that the total number of men he'll gain from the rest of the North once he has total control. Remember that this is occurring in the dead of winter, so it's up in the air whether he can feed those troops, whip them into shape transport them, .

-1000 Freys

+3000 Skagossans at the least

Your Dornishman did not lie,” the Elder Brother began, “but I fear you did not understand him. You are chasing the wrong wolf, my lady.

Eddard Stark had two daughters. It was the other one that Sandor Clegane made off with, the younger one.”

“A rya Stark?” Brienne stared open-mouthed, astonished. “You know this? Lady Sansa’s sister is alive?”

How did Elder Brother know it was Arya Stark? Even the outlaws thought he was a boy and the Hound did not even move a muscle when they mentioned Arya's name?

Archived