More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Your Dornishman did not lie,” the Elder Brother began, “but I fear you did not understand him. You are chasing the wrong wolf, my lady.

Eddard Stark had two daughters. It was the other one that Sandor Clegane made off with, the younger one.”

“A rya Stark?” Brienne stared open-mouthed, astonished. “You know this? Lady Sansa’s sister is alive?”

How did Elder Brother know it was Arya Stark? Even the outlaws thought he was a boy and the Hound did not even move a muscle when they mentioned Arya's name?

Very nice catch. All this time, I didn't even think about how did the Elder Brother know that, and I think it's another proof that the Hound really is on the Quiet Isle.

hi everyone! I'm new here. I have two small questions.

1. did Pycelle ever truly give Margery the morning after tea (and if so, who was she with)? or was he just saying that per Cersei's orders? I thought it was the latter since I read the book, then I read on here that someone said he was getting close to Margery and had to give up that information under duress, so I'm confused.

2. does mel actually have any dragon eggs? So many times I hear them referring to the stone dragons and burning those with kings blood to wake them, but does she actually have any? Is there any ref to this?

I'm pretty dense where these books are concerned so thanks!

Very nice catch. All this time, I didn't even think about how did the Elder Brother know that, and I think it's another proof that the Hound really is on the Quiet Isle.

It's proof that he met the Elder Brother at some point, but it's not proof that he's still alive (though I do believe he is indeed the gravedigger).

One more Q...

"Where other men dream of love, or wealth, or glory, this man Sandor Clegane dreamed of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder just to speak of it. Yet that was the bread that nourished him, the fuel that kept his fires burning. Ignoble as it was, the hope of seeing his brother’s blood upon his blade was all this sad and angry creature lived for . . .

I don't remember reading Ser Clegane hated his brother so much.

One more Q...

"Where other men dream of love, or wealth, or glory, this man Sandor Clegane dreamed of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder just to speak of it. Yet that was the bread that nourished him, the fuel that kept his fires burning. Ignoble as it was, the hope of seeing his brother’s blood upon his blade was all this sad and angry creature lived for . . .

I don't remember reading Ser Clegane hated his brother so much.

Sandor's not a knight, and if he was it would be Ser Sandor, not Ser Clegane. And his hatred to his brother (and hatred of knighthood as a result) is a huge part of his character. Reread him telling Sansa about his burns.

1. did Pycelle ever truly give Margery the morning after tea (and if so, who was she with)? or was he just saying that per Cersei's orders? I thought it was the latter since I read the book, then I read on here that someone said he was getting close to Margery and had to give up that information under duress, so I'm confused.

2. does mel actually have any dragon eggs? So many times I hear them referring to the stone dragons and burning those with kings blood to wake them, but does she actually have any? Is there any ref to this?

Pycelle told it to Cersei first when she demanded to know why he was visiting Margaery. That doesn't mean it was true (and we also don't know who/what it was for), but Cersei didn't come up with the claim.

And Mel isn't known to have any eggs. There are literally stone dragons however on Dragonstone.

How could anyone build a 300 mile long, seven hundred foot high wall, the equivalent to about 10,000 Great Pyramids, in a pre-industrial society with no slavery? It doesn't make any sense. Unless it was created by magic?

The Wall is millennial-old, and the NW has been building on it over millenia.

It's proof that he met the Elder Brother at some point, but it's not proof that he's still alive (though I do believe he is indeed the gravedigger).

The Elder Brother knows a lot about Sandor, and if Sandor really was dying when they first met, there wouldn't be enough time for Sandor to spill his heart to the Brother.

The Elder Brother knows a lot about Sandor, and if Sandor really was dying when they first met, there wouldn't be enough time for Sandor to spill his heart to the Brother.

Sure there would. Sandor was probably dying slowly of an infection. That leaves plenty of time for him to spill the beans.

One of Margaery's cousin-companions (Ellinor IIRC) had a rather friskier-than-wise relationship with some young Knight or Squire, according to their own gossip. Its quite possible Margaery asked Pycelle for Moon tea on her behalf. Some people claim this would be foolishly risky for her politically, but seriously, she has all these cousin-companions precisely so she can prove she's not messing around. The idea that anyone would accuse them of enormous collective orgies is ridiculously fantastical. It took someone is demented as Cersei to come up with it, and it clearly isn't going to stick.

Her problem now is not that she took moon tea, or cavorted with anyone so that she needed it, but that she politically came to Tommen's marriage claiming to be a maid still, and more importantly, observed the religious rituals of Maidens day as a maid, but she has no hymen. The trouble is that she is assumed to have lied about not having relations with Renly, and thus not being a maid when observing maidens day, not that she is actually suspected of using moon tea to prevent a pregnancy with some unspecified man.

As pointed out, Dragonstone, which is Mel's and Stannis' base, has literal stone dragons carved into the structure.

Not to mention that it as the original seat of teh Targaryens, and volcanic to boot, so the single most likely place in the entire world for unknown dragon eggs to be is at Dragonstone. There could be any number of them hidden there (not that I think there are).

Is is because of the stallion and the Hound was describes as bigger than Brienne? I only want the Hound to be alive for Sansa. He can be Sansa's sworn sword.

Is is because of the stallion and the Hound was describes as bigger than Brienne? I only want the Hound to be alive for Sansa. He can be Sansa's sworn sword.

That, and also bc he is limping (and we know Sandor suffered a wound to his thigh). The gravedigger is a novice which would also fit in with the timeline.

I am a little confused that Aerys/Rhaegar and crew decided to meet Robert's forces on the Trident. I assume that the numbers were fairly equal, likely with the Royal army having an advantage, but why ride away from Kings Landing to meet Robert on even ground? Robert was notoriously hot headed and could have easily been pulled in a trap, or they could have controlled the primary roads and not allowed ample supplies to his army up north. It seems like a poor battle plan unless I am missing something.

Your Dornishman did not lie,” the Elder Brother began, “but I fear you did not understand him. You are chasing the wrong wolf, my lady.

Eddard Stark had two daughters. It was the other one that Sandor Clegane made off with, the younger one.”

“A rya Stark?” Brienne stared open-mouthed, astonished. “You know this? Lady Sansa’s sister is alive?”

How did Elder Brother know it was Arya Stark? Even the outlaws thought he was a boy and the Hound did not even move a muscle when they mentioned Arya's name?

The obvious answer is that he didn't KNOW it was Arya because...it wasn't her. I assume he heard people saying it.

The Hound is dead. Sandor Clegane (Grave Digger) didn't respond because he didn't want to be noticed, and maybe it wasn't his first time hearing the news? Or if he hears this "Arya" is coming from KL not too long after he and the real Arya parted ways, he'd know she was fake.

Yes.

“My uncle brought me here, with Tyene and Sarella.” The memory made Arianne smile. “He caught some vipers and showed Tyene the safest way to milk them for their venom. Sarella turned over rocks, brushed sand off the mosaics, and wanted to know everything there was to know about the people who had lived here.”

“And what did you do, princess?” asked Spotted Sylva.

I sat beside the well and pretended that some robber knight had brought me here to have his way with me, she thought, a tall hard man with black eyes and a widow’s peak. The memory made her uneasy. “I dreamed,” she said, “and when the sun went down I sat cross-legged at my uncle’s feet and begged him for a story.”

I am a little confused that Aerys/Rhaegar and crew decided to meet Robert's forces on the Trident. I assume that the numbers were fairly equal, likely with the Royal army having an advantage, but why ride away from Kings Landing to meet Robert on even ground? Robert was notoriously hot headed and could have easily been pulled in a trap, or they could have controlled the primary roads and not allowed ample supplies to his army up north. It seems like a poor battle plan unless I am missing something.

Robert is not noted as hot-headed as a commander. In fact he is noted for well conceived and executed lightning marches and unexpected maneouvers, and getting more out of his men than other commanders might.

There is no evidence at all that he would be easily pulled into a trap. Especially when he also has several cool heads around him in Ned and Jon Arryn, maybe even Hoster Tully and the Blackfish(?).

And it doesn't behoove a king to sit in his castle and wait for the rebels to come to him. That only encourages his enemies, and discourages his allies.

All in all, the rebellion has to be defeated one way or another in the field, once its gotten as far as it had. Taking up position on the Trident is as good as any other place.

You also have the possibility that if tied to KL Rhaegar might not have the freedom to end the rebellion with relatively few casualties. If he'd beaten Robert, then he might have had a decent chance at parlaying with Ned and Jon and reaching some sort of relatively amicable settlement with Aerys 'retired' and Lyanna and Elia as his Queens.

But not if Aerys is in the vicinity already.

Archived