More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

thanks for your answers to my questions. the thing I still don't get though, is if Stannis and Mel don't have any dragon eggs, why was everyone in such a hurry to get rid of anyone with kings blood (Aemon, Mances kid, Edric). Did they think she would just burn them for some other power or something? I thought the main point was that it would "awake the stone dragons" I forget which character said that. Did they mean eggs, or stone statues, and then what does that mean? Still somewhat confused..

thanks for your answers to my questions. the thing I still don't get though, is if Stannis and Mel don't have any dragon eggs, why was everyone in such a hurry to get rid of anyone with kings blood (Aemon, Mances kid, Edric). Did they think she would just burn them for some other power or something? I thought the main point was that it would "awake the stone dragons" I forget which character said that. Did they mean eggs, or stone statues, and then what does that mean? Still somewhat confused..

Kings blood seems to be important in the magical rituals involving dragons. And possibly in blood magic in general.

Or maybe that is dragon (Targaryen) blood, dragon being the High Valyrian word for royalty.

Mel has already indicated such by wanting to use (burn to death) Edric Storm.

So yes, thats exactly why people with Kings Blood are being kept away from Mel if possible - because it is suspected, nay, known, she will use them (kill) for blood magic rituals in an attempt to wake the stone dragons.

We don't know what the stone dragons are.

They could be the Castle walls at Dragonstone. They could be eggs (Dany's eggs were considered 'stone'), They could be Shireen's greyscale. They could be something else entirely.

Awakening them is presumably thought to mean "get live dragons" by most characters, and most readers, but we don't know that either.

Robert is not noted as hot-headed as a commander. In fact he is noted for well conceived and executed lightning marches and unexpected maneouvers, and getting more out of his men than other commanders might.

There is no evidence at all that he would be easily pulled into a trap. Especially when he also has several cool heads around him in Ned and Jon Arryn, maybe even Hoster Tully and the Blackfish(?).

And it doesn't behoove a king to sit in his castle and wait for the rebels to come to him. That only encourages his enemies, and discourages his allies.

All in all, the rebellion has to be defeated one way or another in the field, once its gotten as far as it had. Taking up position on the Trident is as good as any other place.

You also have the possibility that if tied to KL Rhaegar might not have the freedom to end the rebellion with relatively few casualties. If he'd beaten Robert, then he might have had a decent chance at parlaying with Ned and Jon and reaching some sort of relatively amicable settlement with Aerys 'retired' and Lyanna and Elia as his Queens.

But not if Aerys is in the vicinity already.

Well there are a few implications from Eddard but most specifically Stannis when discussing Robert's approach to battles as commander that imply he was a fierce warrior but may not always make the best strategic decisions.

Im not saying that Rhaegar should have stayed in the castle but if one was commanding forces and fighting folks from the Vale, North, Stormlands and Riverlands, it doesn't make a ton of sense for one to have them ride to the riverlands to do battle, nor would one have them ride to the North or the Vale. If I was going to fight in open battle also would have brought many of the forces from the Redwynes and Tyrells as well to ensure superior numbers but hey, just an observation.

I need to get some things straight, I read all the books back to back and feel as if I'm hazy on ALOT of important details.

Where and in what book does this Sandor=Gravedigger scene happen?

Where is all this evidence for R+L=J in book one?

Are there specific scenes/PoV's where the high fantasy/back-mythology really comes to the forefront? Looking around these boards many seem very well versed in what might be going on beyond the wall/age of hero's etc. I for one seem to have backlogged that info.

If anyone can point me to chapters/POV estimations on where these all occur that woud be great. Book 1 was so long ago I feel as if I've simply forgotten some major stuff. I need to re-read some things and any direction would be appreciated.

I need to get some things straight, I read all the books back to back and feel as if I'm hazy on ALOT of important details.

Where and in what book does this Sandor=Gravedigger scene happen?

A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31 Brienne VI.

Where is all this evidence for R+L=J in book one?

Here's the best compilation of most of the evidence I've seen.

Are there specific scenes/PoV's where the high fantasy/back-mythology really comes to the forefront? Looking around these boards many seem very well versed in what might be going on beyond the wall/age of hero's etc. I for one seem to have backlogged that info.

Can you be more specific?

GRRM has said many times that Tyrion is his favorite character. but there must be other characters Martin like. So, What are the other characters GRRM like?

In answer to your question, Arya: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Favorite_Character_to_Write/

I don't think he's ever said that Tyrion is his favorite character. As far as I know every time he's asked he makes a point of saying he doesn't have a favorite character, but that Tyrion is closest to him in personality (though more quick-witted than GRRM is in real life).

In answer to your question, Arya: http://www.westeros....acter_to_Write/

I don't think he's ever said that Tyrion is his favorite character. As far as I know every time he's asked he makes a point of saying he doesn't have a favorite character, but that Tyrion is closest to him in personality (though more quick-witted than GRRM is in real life).

I don´t remember if he ever said the full sentence: "Tyrion is my favorite character", but every time someone ask him this (btw what a boring question to ask him) he say that Tyrion is the character he has more fun writing, but it is safe to say that Tyrion is his favorite one.

ETA: Whats the difference of the sentence in the SSM that you linked with saying that Tyrion is his favorite character??

(I only opened the link after I posted)

ETA: Whats the difference of the sentence in the SSM that you linked with saying that Tyrion is his favorite character??

(I only opened the link after I posted)

Just that: In the SSM (as well as in the interviews you talk about), GRRM says that Tyrion is his favourite character to write about. Not necessarily his favourite character in a general sense.

The general sense could also be influenced by who he roots for, who he identifies with the most, who he finds most admirable or likable or a number of different concepts. Might be something very different than just how much fun someone is to write.

I don´t remember if he ever said the full sentence: "Tyrion is my favorite character", but every time someone ask him this (btw what a boring question to ask him) he say that Tyrion is the character he has more fun writing, but it is safe to say that Tyrion is his favorite one.

Just that: In the SSM (as well as in the interviews you talk about), GRRM says that Tyrion is his favourite character to write about. Not necessarily his favourite character in a general sense.

I think this was solved recently: http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html

Q: Which is your favorite character?

A: Tyrion.

Your Dornishman did not lie,” the Elder Brother began, “but I fear you did not understand him. You are chasing the wrong wolf, my lady.

Eddard Stark had two daughters. It was the other one that Sandor Clegane made off with, the younger one.”

“A rya Stark?” Brienne stared open-mouthed, astonished. “You know this? Lady Sansa’s sister is alive?”

How did Elder Brother know it was Arya Stark? Even the outlaws thought he was a boy and the Hound did not even move a muscle when they mentioned Arya's name?

I was just rereading the last day of Arya and Sandor together. A crow was following them. This would also explain how Elder Brother found Sandor. Or Sandor told Elder Brother after he got over his delirium. No question in my mind he is the gravedigger - big, has a limp, likes dogs, his horse is there.

So I just finished AFFC and have few questions.

So the singer in Jaime’s POV is Tom O’Seven and both Jaime and Edmure do not know that he is friends with Lord Beric. You think he is there as a spy? And Jaime still does not know that Lord Beric is dead.

And there is Sansa. Is she really stupid not to know that LF is sexually abusing her?

Maddy will scrub your back for you and wash your hair, to make you clean and lordly for your journey. Won’t that be nice?”

“No. I hate Maddy. She has a wart on her eye, and she scrubs so hard it hurts. My mommy never hurt me scrubbing.” -- Alayne's POV

Is this a typo?

So I just finished AFFC and have few questions.

So the singer in Jaime’s POV is Tom O’Seven and both Jaime and Edmure do not know that he is friends with Lord Beric. You think he is there as a spy? And Jaime still does not know that Lord Beric is dead.

And there is Sansa. Is she really stupid not to know that LF is sexually abusing her?

Maddy will scrub your back for you and wash your hair, to make you clean and lordly for your journey. Won’t that be nice?”

“No. I hate Maddy. She has a wart on her eye, and she scrubs so hard it hurts. My mommy never hurt me scrubbing.” -- Alayne's POV

Is this a typo?

Tom is a spy as he is till listed as being a member of the Brotherhood without Banners, and Edwyn Frey notes that his father, Ryman, was hanged as if the outlaws knew he was coming. Tom gave the BwB the info. Jaime doesn't know that beric is dead, as he has been reported dead many times only to be seen again.

Sansa isn't stupid, and knows that LF has designs on her.

Robert Arryn's use of the word "mommy" is meant to demonstrate his state of being psychologically stunted.

He's almost certainly there on Brotherhood business. His line "I could have played you... oh, all sorts o’ things" is a thinly veiled threat from the reader's perspective.

She knows he's creepy and that he's being improper towards her, but she's completely within his power at the moment.

Is this a typo?

What's wrong with it?

Archived