More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Dunk and Egg related:

GRRM has stated he wants to tell the life stories of both Dunk and Egg, but how can he tell a story that takes place over the course of about 40-odd years in a only a couple more books?

He doesn't have to cover every minute of their life, only their interesting adventures. Many important events that are however not that exciting when read about in detail can also be dealt with as memories or in flashbacks. And of course there's no strict limit set on the number of books the Dunk & Egg series will have.

mommy

Is this about American / British English? As far as I know, Americans usually spell it 'mommy' while on the other side of the pond we like to spell it 'mummy' even when it's not a TP-ed pharaoh.

He's almost certainly there on Brotherhood business. His line "I could have played you... oh, all sorts o’ things" is a thinly veiled threat from the reader's perspective.

She knows he's creepy and that he's being improper towards her, but she's completely within his power at the moment.

What's wrong with it?

No I mean this is the first time i read this word in the series. Everyone is saying Mother and Father.

It's a rarely used word in the books , searching for it only gives 4 results, once in Game and Clash, and twice in Feast. It does sound somewhat anachronistic, but there a few words like that in the series (e.g. I don't know why GRRM likes to use gunwale so many times).

A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31 Brienne VI.

Here's the best compilation of most of the evidence I've seen.

Can you be more specific?

Thanks much! To be more specific I have heard talk of "the great other" and the "last hero." Neither of which has rang a bell. I also scratch my head everytime GRRM writes about "the doom" and wonder if I missed something or if that is yet to be revealed in more detail. Basically, the fantastical backstory: is it only really etched out Old-Nan's stories? I may need to reread book 1 if so.

Thanks much! To be more specific I have heard talk of "the great other" and the "last hero." Neither of which has rang a bell. I also scratch my head everytime GRRM writes about "the doom" and wonder if I missed something or if that is yet to be revealed in more detail. Basically, the fantastical backstory: is it only really etched out Old-Nan's stories? I may need to reread book 1 if so.

The great other is the lord of darkness and cold, an evil figure in the faith of R'hllor wo is the lord of light. The last hero is Azor Ahai who defeated the others during the long night 8000 years before Aegons landing.

The doom refers to the cataclysmic event that destroyed the freehold of Valyria where the Targaryens originally came from. We don't really know what started it, but from descriptions in the book we know that a series of volcanic eruptions (magical or natural) ruined the landscape completely and tainted it.

The great other is the lord of darkness and cold, an evil figure in the faith of R'hllor wo is the lord of light. The last hero is Azor Ahai who defeated the others during the long night 8000 years before Aegons landing.

The doom refers to the cataclysmic event that destroyed the freehold of Valyria where the Targaryens originally came from. We don't really know what started it, but from descriptions in the book we know that a series of volcanic eruptions (magical or natural) ruined the landscape completely and tainted it.

Just to correct you, the Last Hero, as stated in the books, is not Azor Ahai. The notion that Last Hero = AA is a heretical speculation (which I am inclined to believe for that matter).

Justin Danford - I cannot precisely direct you in the books, but yes, Old Nan's stories are the richest (if not only) resource for this. There was an old Heresy thread which had a compilation of her tales. That's in the Dance with Dragons subforum, you might try to search "heresy" and look, I think it was the sixth version.

What I can do for you is to direct you to the timeline that is on the wiki:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events

I have to admit I usually only skim over the detailed food descriptions in the series. However, that now comes around to bite me, as I do not know the following:

Does the series ever make any reference to any new world food?

I.e. stuff that only came to Europe after the Americas had been discovered. tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate, tobacco, maize... Considering the flair of the books, it would make sense to construct the world without post-Columbian foods and I don't remember them actively, but perhaps someone else does.

Robert Baratheon to Ned Stark after ordering the death of Lady "Get her a dog, she'll be better for it".

All the other Stark children's No 1 protector is their Direwolves, in the absence of a direwolf one of Sansa's main protectors has been Sanda Clegance e.g. the riots in Kingslanding. When King Robert mention the above line is GRRM subtly hinting that Sandor Clegane is to be Sansa's sworn shield?

Robert Baratheon to Ned Stark after ordering the death of Lady "Get her a dog, she'll be better for it".

All the other Stark children's No 1 protector is their Direwolves, in the absence of a direwolf one of Sansa's main protectors has been Sanda Clegance e.g. the riots in Kingslanding. When King Robert mention the above line is GRRM subtly hinting that Sandor Clegane is to be Sansa's sworn shield?

No.

Robert just wants to get that situation over with.

And he is not subtle or ever imply anything, if he wants to say something he just say.

No.

Robert just wants to get that situation over with.

And he is not subtle or ever imply anything, if he wants to say something he just say.

The question doesn't have anything to do with Robert. The question is; Is GRRM subtly hinting that Sandor Clegane is to be Sansa's sworn shield?

The question doesn't have anything to do with Robert. The question is; Is GRRM subtly hinting that Sandor Clegane is to be Sansa's sworn shield?

Sworn shield or something else... yes, most probably. George has been using foreshadowing a lot, and this is likely to be one of those situations. Either way, she got "a dog" one way or the other, and I don't tend to believe in coincidences with Martin.

ETA Direwolf as a protector - being substituted by the Hound - thus Hound = protector = sworn shield - yes, this is a good line of thinking too. He might (and kind of was trying to be) her protector without the official characteristic "Sworn Shield" though. Point is - yes, I think this foreshadows something.

Hello everybody I'm a newbie. :bowdown: Have been lurking for some time and still am not sure if this is the right thread to post this question... anyways:

How old do you guess Sandor Clegane is??

I've done some math and I am guessing he is at least . From The Hound's story to Sansa of how he got burnt, it is stated Gregor Clegane was knighted very young, when he was 15 or 16 (he burnt Sandor's face when Sandor was 6 or 7, Gregor's 5 years older, was knighted 4 years after he attacked his younger brother).

Well. He was knighted by Rhaegar Targaryen. Robert Baratheon's reigned for 15 years (hope that is correct), so that makes Gregor 30 or 31 years old in Book 1, if Rhaegar knighted him just before Robert's rebellion. Of course, if he was knighted some years before Robert's rebellion then he is older.

And that makes Sandor at least 25 in Book 1.

Cheers

:cheers:

Lucianaaa

So Gendy was left at the inn. I’m sure he did not like it.

Lord Beric decided to leave him because he was a precious cargo that needed safe keeping? Or he was left because he’s still too young to be an outlaw? And the inn was not a castle for him to be safe.

How big is the Greatjon? Sandor Clegane is around 6'10' or so. Is the Greatjon bigger than him or what?

The Greatjon is described to be as tall as Hodor in AGoT who was described to be as tall as Dunk in ADwD, and both in Bran's POVs. I would therefore find the Greatjon's height to be the same as Dunk's: 6'11".

The Greatjon is bigger than Sandor Clegane.

Just to correct you, the Last Hero, as stated in the books, is not Azor Ahai. The notion that Last Hero = AA is a heretical speculation (which I am inclined to believe for that matter).

Justin Danford - I cannot precisely direct you in the books, but yes, Old Nan's stories are the richest (if not only) resource for this. There was an old Heresy thread which had a compilation of her tales. That's in the Dance with Dragons subforum, you might try to search "heresy" and look, I think it was the sixth version.

What I can do for you is to direct you to the timeline that is on the wiki:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events

Thanks, both of you!

Lord Beric decided to leave him because he was a precious cargo that needed safe keeping? Or he was left because he’s still too young to be an outlaw? And the inn was not a castle for him to be safe.

Does Beric even know he's Robert's son? In any case:

1. He's a smith, not a fighter.

2. The innocents at the inn needed protection.

Kings blood seems to be important in the magical rituals involving dragons. And possibly in blood magic in general.

Or maybe that is dragon (Targaryen) blood, dragon being the High Valyrian word for royalty.

Mel has already indicated such by wanting to use (burn to death) Edric Storm.

So yes, thats exactly why people with Kings Blood are being kept away from Mel if possible - because it is suspected, nay, known, she will use them (kill) for blood magic rituals in an attempt to wake the stone dragons.

We don't know what the stone dragons are.

They could be the Castle walls at Dragonstone. They could be eggs (Dany's eggs were considered 'stone'), They could be Shireen's greyscale. They could be something else entirely.

Awakening them is presumably thought to mean "get live dragons" by most characters, and most readers, but we don't know that either.

I agree.

What's been troubling me is Mel used three leeches full of "King's" blood to prove her powers to Stannis by killing the three usurpers. Stannis believes she burned Mance. Why doesn't Stanis expect results? Shouldn't he be pissed? If it didn't count because Jon and a couple NW killed Mance with arrows,, then wouldn't Stannis...dispense some justice?

How old do you guess Sandor Clegane is??

He was 10 or 11 when Gregor was knighted by Rhaegar Targaryen. Let's assume that the latest this happened is 282 AL, i.e. Rhaegar knights Gregor, then immediately kidnaps Lyanna. If Sandor was 10, he was born in 272 AL, which means he was 26 at the start of AGoT which took place in 298 AL. The wiki puts his birth in 271 AL, for what it's worth.

Stannis believes [Mel] burned Mance. Why doesn't Stanis expect results? Shouldn't he be pissed? If it didn't count because Jon and a couple NW killed Mance with arrows,, then wouldn't Stannis...dispense some justice?

I always assumed Mance was burned as a run-of-the-mill offering to R'hllor. I don't recall her or Stannis expecting anything magical to result from his death or even talking about his King's blood or lack thereof. I could be wrong, though. Also, do they ever talk about Mance's son, or is that just Jon's/Aemon's paranoia?

He was 10 or 11 when Gregor was knighted by Rhaegar Targaryen. Let's assume that the latest this happened is 282 AL, i.e. Rhaegar knights Gregor, then immediately kidnaps Lyanna. If Sandor was 10, he was born in 272 AL, which means he was 26 at the start of AGoT which took place in 298 AL. The wiki puts his birth in 271 AL, for what it's worth.

I always assumed Mance was burned as a run-of-the-mill offering to R'hllor. I don't recall her or Stannis expecting anything magical to result from his death or even talking about his King's blood or lack thereof. I could be wrong, though. Also, do they ever talk about Mance's son, or is that just Jon's/Aemon's paranoia?

I wanna say Jon/Aemon paranoia, but Stannis himself seemed to place a high value on the sister of Mance's baby mamma...even calling her a princess.

Archived