More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

I wanna say Jon/Aemon paranoia, but Stannis himself seemed to place a high value on the sister of Mance's baby mamma...even calling her a princess.

I'm not disputing that he considers Mance to have been the King-Beyond-the-Wall. I'm wondering if at any point he or Mel implies that position confers some power upon his blood. For what it's worth, they've never put any stock in Stannis's blood as any kind of magical catalyst. They probably think some kings are kinglier than others.

Is warging giants againts the warg code? Has there been any signs that Jon Snow has warged into anything( Wun Wun, Mormont's Raven) other then Ghost?

Warging giants isn't stated as an abomination by Haggon. We haven't been given any indication in Jon's POV that he has been warging into any other animals except Ghost.

Hello. Love the questions by the way. Here's another that I don't remember if I encountered during even my second reread of the series:

How did Stannis come to meet Mel? Is it possible she was planted by Varys? I think whenever I don't understand something I tend to assume Varys did it, but that could be just because he drives me crazy because I still don't understand his motives other than to 'protect the little birds'...

Hello. Love the questions by the way. Here's another that I don't remember if I encountered during even my second reread of the series:

How did Stannis come to meet Mel? Is it possible she was planted by Varys? I think whenever I don't understand something I tend to assume Varys did it, but that could be just because he drives me crazy because I still don't understand his motives other than to 'protect the little birds'...

IIRC Melisandre was the one who came to Stannis after seeing him in her flames, being convinced he was Azor Ahai reborn.

IIRC Melisandre was the one who came to Stannis after seeing him in her flames, being convinced he was Azor Ahai reborn.

And there is speculation that she did indeed see him, but misinterpreted (again). He was her "means of transportation" to the real Azor Ahai reborn - Jon Snow. And now that Stannis led her to Jon, in the flames she "sees only Snow".

Does the series ever make any reference to any new world food?

I.e. stuff that only came to Europe after the Americas had been discovered. tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate, tobacco, maize... Considering the flair of the books, it would make sense to construct the world without post-Columbian foods and I don't remember them actively, but perhaps someone else does.

In the scene with the honeyed locusts, the other food stuff listed are figs, dates, melons, pomegranates, pecans, and peppers.

Most of these are quite appropriate for the Middle East of our world. But pecans are native to North America and weren't introduced to the Old World until the 16th century.

Mel went searching for the place she would find Azor Ahai. Dragonstone fits many of the requirments for a place to find Azor Ahai:

Salt and Smoke -- Dragonstone is a volcanic island

Stone Dragons -- All the "gargoyles" on Dragonstone are shaped like Dragons.

When she arrived at Dragonstone Stannis was ruler; therfore, Stannis must be Azor Ahai reborn. The Azor Ahai legend is an obsesion of hers, and she was convinced that Dragonstone was the key to it.

Was this explained in the Mel chapter, or are you theorizing?

Mel went searching for the place she would find Azor Ahai. Dragonstone fits many of the requirments for a place to find Azor Ahai:

Salt and Smoke -- Dragonstone is a volcanic island

Stone Dragons -- All the "gargoyles" on Dragonstone are shaped like Dragons.

When she arrived at Dragonstone Stannis was ruler; therfore, Stannis must be Azor Ahai reborn. The Azor Ahai legend is an obsesion of hers, and she was convinced that Dragonstone was the key to it.

When exactly does Dany's story take place, in relevance to the chronology? Cersei and company seem to learn things a bit later then they should. IE Viserys' death happened about half way through AGoT, but no one in Kings Landing found out until ACoK.

Well they are half a world away. They don't have internet (well, except for Bran, but that's not untill ADWD) :D

Well they are half a world away. They don't have internet (well, except for Bran, but that's not untill ADWD) :D

Yeah, but shouldn't they know for certain that there are freaking THREE DRAGONS roaming around Essos? Shouldn't they know Daenerys has been named Queen of Mereen? Shouldn't they mention that the Slave Trade has been banned in Meereen? Of course, they could've referenced this and I didn't notice. I'm not the most observant person, after all. And I love your User name, btw.

There were mentions of three dragons in ACoK, I think it was, but Cersei just put it down as the imagination of foreigners. And she didn't care about the fall of the slave trade either, since there aren't any slaves in Westeros. She made an awful queen.

Xaro said in ADwD that when Daenerys smashed the slave trade, it's effects were felt from Quarth to Westeros. Yet we hear no mention of this in any Westeros POV's in either ADwD of AFFC. I suppose he could've been lying...

And yes, Cersei was an awful queen,

It is mentioned during a council meeting in AFFC, and Cersei didn't think it mattered:

“Do you have any news of more import?”

“The slave revolt in Astapor has spread to Meereen, it would seem. Sailors off a dozen ships speak of dragons...”

“Harpies. It is harpies in Meereen.” She remembered that from somewhere. Meereen was at the far end of the world, out east beyond Valyria. “Let the slaves revolt. Why should I care? We keep no slaves in Westeros. Is that all you have for me?”

And the threat of Dany is brought up again in the epilogue of ADWD.

Xaro said in ADwD that when Daenerys smashed the slave trade, it's effects were felt from Quarth to Westeros. Yet we hear no mention of this in any Westeros POV's in either ADwD of AFFC. I suppose he could've been lying...

And yes, Cersei was an awful queen,

Dany' dragons have been brought up twice to Cersei:

Aurane Waters, Cersei's Lord Admiral, tried to mention Dany's dragons

I hesitate to take up the council's time with trifles, but there has been queer talk heard along the docks of late. Sailors from the east, they speak of dragons . . . "

". . . and maticores, no doubt, and bearded snarks?" Cersei chuckled.

Qyburn tries to tell her as well as Foxhound quoted above.

She really drops the ball.

At the start of the War if the Five Kings, which leaders had the highest number of fighting men in their armies out of the North and the Riverlands (commanded by Robb Stark), the Westerlands and Crown Lands (commanded by Joffrey Waters), Highgarden and the Stormlands (commanded by Renly Baratheon), Dragonstone and the lords of the Narrow sea (commanded like a boss by Stannis Baratheon) and the Iron Islands (commanded like an idiot by Balon Greyjoy)?

So which King had the most men? Numbers pliss.

Archived