More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

If Varys is a secret BF fighting for the downfall of the Targs, why did he try and prevent Aerys from opening the gates to Tywin?

Regardless of where Varys true allegiances lie, his life and job was sort of on the line should Tywin enter. I think it unlikely that Varys would have had the extensive knowledge of the tunnels back then that he had by the time AGOT started so safe escape might have been less hopeful. There's also the fact that staying on as Master of Whisperers would require at least some proof of regime loyalty and also knowledge of things that others wouldn't otherwise know. He couldn't really maintain his position if it became known that he advised Aerys to let Tywin through and then claimed he didn't know that Tywin was going to attack. Of course, there is the simple explanation of 'better the devil you know'.

Regardless of where Varys true allegiances lie, his life and job was sort of on the line should Tywin enter. I think it unlikely that Varys would have had the extensive knowledge of the tunnels back then that he had by the time AGOT started so safe escape might have been less hopeful. There's also the fact that staying on as Master of Whisperers would require at least some proof of regime loyalty and also knowledge of things that others wouldn't otherwise know. He couldn't really maintain his position if it became known that he advised Aerys to let Tywin through and then claimed he didn't know that Tywin was going to attack. Of course, there is the simple explanation of 'better the devil you know'.

I think this is a lot of it. I think that Varys expected/wanted the Targaryens to win, but to still eventually destroy themselves based on Aerys' distrust of Rhaegar and his wife. The Targaryens with Aerys still in charge were somewhat malleable or at least instable. With Tywin (and Robert and so on), Varys had no guarantee that he'd have an opportunity to install a Blackfyre because he had no way to know for sure what kind of regime would replace Aerys. In a way he got lucky in that Robert himself was a weak king propped up by competent counsel.

The question doesn't have anything to do with Robert. The question is; Is GRRM subtly hinting that Sandor Clegane is to be Sansa's sworn shield?

Sworn shield or something else... yes, most probably. George has been using foreshadowing a lot, and this is likely to be one of those situations. Either way, she got "a dog" one way or the other, and I don't tend to believe in coincidences with Martin.

ETA Direwolf as a protector - being substituted by the Hound - thus Hound = protector = sworn shield - yes, this is a good line of thinking too. He might (and kind of was trying to be) her protector without the official characteristic "Sworn Shield" though. Point is - yes, I think this foreshadows something.

Lots of subtle hints connecting Sansa and the Hound. This scene is one. Another is when she daydreams about being married to Willas Tyrell. They are picnicking on the sunny lawn with their puppies - not children - around them.

After ADWD how many chapters of TWOW has GRRM released? I've read the Theon one with Stannis, but what other chapters were released? Please gimme links to them.

He offered a crowd a reading from either a Damphair chapter or a Dorne/Stormlands one, and they opted for the latter, which mostly turned out to be a Stormlands Travel & Tourism Board commercial with some info about Storm's End being taken by Jon Con and his heading off to confront and/or beat (I can't tell which) the Tyrell army sent his way.

There were CoF caves and such on the tour, and the Damphair chapter was hard-sold as being especially gross, to no avail.

I personally am with the crowd. Damphair and Patches both make me want to stop reading; can't imagine choosing them over anything, but as it turns out the chapter they did choose seems mostly inconsequential except the huge SE factoid and the impression that the Martells view Aegon with suspicion, at least up to that point.

Is it ever said how long Theon was to remain Eddard's ward/hostage? Wasn't he about 20ish by the time of AGOT? That seems a bit old to remain under Ned's care.

He was to ensure Balon's good behavior for as long as Balon lived.

Cersei's Crime. Ok she was in a plot againts the new queen but high septon blamed her for sleeping with people. She was a widow and sleeping with random people only makes her immoral.

She's accused of having the previous High Septon and Robert murdered and passing off bastards as legitimate heirs. She's already admitted to the crime against morality of sleeping with four people after Roberts death (the Kettleblacks and Lancel) for which she took the walk of shame. The other crimes are the ones she will stand trial for.

Were did the Bastard name Blackfyre come from? Was is always there like Waters, Snow, Flowers, etc. or did Daemon fashion it for himself?

Blackfyre is the name of one of the Valyrian steel swords the Targs had. Aegon IV gave it to Daemon when he acknowledged him as his son.

Were did the Bastard name Blackfyre come from? Was is always there like Waters, Snow, Flowers, etc. or did Daemon fashion it for himself?

As Foxhound stated, Blackfyre was the Valyrian steel sword of Targaryen kings since Aegon I, and Daemon took the sword's name when was knighted and was given the sword by Aegon IV.

Archived