More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Speaking of which; is it ever openly stated that Loras 'buried it' in Renly's 'secret place'? I know they were gay but does anyone ever say it beyond innuendo?

There is no real evidence and there is no implications by any of them that they were. We only have the heavy implications by other characters, like it's a known secret. GRRM is telling us something, but does not want to word it himself.

Nope. They're definitely gay. It's crystal clear in the book and George has confirmed it in Q&As.

Nope. They're definitely gay. It's crystal clear in the book and George has confirmed it in Q&As.

Yes and no. It's not confirmed on page, it's heavily implied. What George says in interviews counts, yes, but that doen't mean it's confirmed on page, that's why people asked him in the first place./

No it's not. I saw the show first so was able to see the hints, not sure I would have otherwise. In fact my friend watched the show then read the books and even then asked WTF was with Loras sucking Renlys nob?

Yes and no. It's not confirmed on page, it's heavily implied. What George says in interviews counts, yes, but that doen't mean it's confirmed on page, that's why people asked him in the first place./

Thank you. As I just said, I didn't think it was 'obvious' until at least AFFC. I got it, I was just asking has anyone actually said 'oh by the way Loras and renly bummed'. There is a ton of innuendo but no straight statement.

Again thanks for the answer.

Most of the implications I recall were actually that Renly did the burying...

Based on the statements of a number of characters (Jaime and Olenna Tyrell in particular) it appears that Loras' sexual orientation is fairly well-known in-universe, even if it's not actually openly declared.

If you know, it's completely obvious. If you don't know, you may indeed easily miss it (I did when I first read the books). But just because it doesn't jump into your face if you don't know about it doesn't mean that it's not definite or anything, just like with all the "if you see it you'll shit bricks" pictures.

Why did the whole army of the Reach pin down 500 men during the siege of Storm's End? Who made that calamitous decision - Aerys or Mace Tyrell?

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1043/

I was wondering about the siege of Storm's End during the War against the Mad King [...] Why did mighty lords of Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne's calibre waste their time and efforts in besieging an untested young lord with (apparently) only a few thousand men (and those weakened more and more of hunger to boot)? Meanwhile their overlord were losing the war?

The Targaryens had lost a number of battles (and had also won some), but they weren't really losing the war until the Trident and the Sack of King's Landing. And then it was lost. And sieges were a crucial part of medieval warfare. Storm's End was not geographically strategic, but it was the base of Robert's power, as important to House Baratheon as Winterfell was to the Starks. If it had fallen, Robert would have lost his home and his lands... and two of his brothers would have been hostages in enemy hands. All important chips. Also the fall of Storm's End might have convinced many of the storm lords supporting him that the time had come to bend the knee. So the castle was hardly unimportant.

Tyrell had a sizeable host, but some of his strength was with Rhaegar, certainly. Rhaegar actually outnumbered Robert on the Trident, although Robert's troops were more battle-tested. I haven't gone into the whole history of the fighting, but there was a good deal more to it than just two armies meeting on the Trident. There were a number of earlier battles, sieges, escapes, ambushes, duels, and forays, and fighting in places as farflung as the Vale and the Dornish Marches.

In ADWD Doran Martell informs the sandsnakes of a plan of Cersi's to attack Trystane and Myrcella. Balon Swann Is supposed to catch a glimpse of the Imp and the men are supposed to be shouting "Half Man". Is this really a plan of Cersi's?

In ADWD Doran Martell informs the sandsnakes of a plan of Cersi's to attack Trystane and Myrcella. Balon Swann Is supposed to catch a glimpse of the Imp and the men are supposed to be shouting "Half Man". Is this really a plan of Cersi's?

Here are our clues:

1. Cersei mentioned a secret role for Balon Swann in AFFC.

2. Doran's "friends at court" have warned him of the plot you described.

3. In order to determine the accuracy of this info and judge Balon's complicity, Doran suggests that he would prefer to send the party to King's Landing by ship instead of land.

4. When Balon gets unnerved by the prospect of a sea journey, Doran is convinced that the info is accurate and that Balon Swann is involved.

Whether it's true or not is up in the air as of the end of ADWD. Some readers believe it, some don't.

I know it hasn't been mentioned (to my knowledge) but I've always been curious whether Luwin came from one of the Houses or possibly just a bastard or just a smallfolk's(?) "whelp.." I know it really doesn't matter, but I've always been curious.

Is there anything about Greyjoys having prophetic dreams? I just reread a part of ACoK where Theon has his dream of the dead people at Winterfell and sees:

"Robb came walking out of the night. Grey Wind stalked beside, eyes burning, and man and wolf alike bled from half a hundred savage wounds."

Is there anything about Greyjoys having prophetic dreams? I just reread a part of ACoK where Theon has his dream of the dead people at Winterfell and sees:

"Robb came walking out of the night. Grey Wind stalked beside, eyes burning, and man and wolf alike bled from half a hundred savage wounds."

I believe this is because he was sleeping in Ned's weirwood bed. Similar to Jaime's prophetic dream while sleeping on the weirwood stump.

Has Dorne actively participated in any of the wars in Westeros, since Daeron II brought them into the fold?

There were Dornishmen fighting for the Targs in both the first Blackfyre Rebellion and Robert's Rebellion. Baelor Breakspear helped win the Battle of the Redgrass Field by bringing reinforcements of Dornishmen and Stormlanders. Prince Lewyn Martell of the Kingsguard commanded ten thousand Dornishmen at the Battle of the Trident.

Archived