More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Where does this idea of Ned having a weirwood bed come from? It's not in the books. Is it from an SSM? Just fan speculation?

I believe it's more of an inference. For example, we know that Jaime sleeps on a weirwood stump and has a prophetic dream, and that weirwoods can impart "tree dreams." It's not that big of a leap from that idea to conclude that Theon had prophetic dreams in Ned's bed because it was made of weirwood.

I believe it's more of an inference. For example, we know that Jaime sleeps on a weirwood stump and has a prophetic dream, and that weirwoods can impart "tree dreams." It's not that big of a leap from that idea to conclude that Theon had prophetic dreams in Ned's bed because it was made of weirwood.

Except there isn't one instance of weirwood being used that way in the North. We see plenty of descriptions of weirwood being used for mundane purposes in the south and even a few cases of it beyond the Wall that it seems we would see at least one outright description of it being used if it were in the North. Can always just be an accidental omission. It is interesting the chapter starts with another Theon dream and all the trees in it have faces.

I like the idea anyways, but I also like to think the Nightfort's evil reputation and all of it's horror stories come from the weirwood gate sending out psycho vibes.

Except there isn't one instance of weirwood being used that way in the North. We see plenty of descriptions of weirwood being used for mundane purposes in the south and even a few cases of it beyond the Wall that it seems we would see at least one outright description of it being used if it were in the North. Can always just be an accidental omission. It is interesting the chapter starts with another Theon dream and all the trees in it have faces.

I like the idea anyways, but I also like to think the Nightfort's evil reputation and all of it's horror stories come from the weirwood gate sending out psycho vibes.

I think I recall a recent World reading where Brandon Snow goes to meet Aegon I with three weirwood arrows. Or perhaps this was Bran's vision through the heart tree at Winterfell?

Anyway, I'm not really sure why the North wouldn't use weirwood for mundane purposes just like everyone else. Weirwood doesn't rot so it's ideal for building. If Ned's bed is made of weirwood, there's no telling how old it is. The First Men chopped down plenty of weirwoods (or parts of weirwood), before and after the Pact. The Pact happened before the wall went up, and the inclusion of a weirwood door at the Nightfort indicates chopping into weirwood (the door may have even provoked some of the characters in the horror stories by giving 'tree dreams').

I think I recall a recent World reading where Brandon Snow goes to meet Aegon I with three weirwood arrows. Or perhaps this was Bran's vision through the heart tree at Winterfell?

Anyway, I'm not really sure why the North wouldn't use weirwood for mundane purposes just like everyone else. Weirwood doesn't rot so it's ideal for building. If Ned's bed is made of weirwood, there's no telling how old it is. The First Men chopped down plenty of weirwoods (or parts of weirwood), before and after the Pact. The Pact happened before the wall went up, and the inclusion of a weirwood door at the Nightfort indicates chopping into weirwood (the door may have even provoked some of the characters in the horror stories by giving 'tree dreams').

Good point about the arrows.

It's true there doesn't seem to be any reason for it and it's omission could be entirely accidental rather than intentional. We have a lot less description of the North and especially their castles than we do the south.

I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious, but why do people think that a lot of characters are secret targs? From reading around the forum I understand the theory about Tywin's children, but that's it. I saw something about Hodor being a Targaryen? I mean... what? Am I missing something?

I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious, but why do people think that a lot of characters are secret targs? From reading around the forum I understand the theory about Tywin's children, but that's it. I saw something about Hodor being a Targaryen? I mean... what? Am I missing something?

The Hodor thing is a joke, don't worry. The joke is that there's a secret Targ hiding behind every bush — Jon! Tyrion! Darkstar! Jaime! Cersei! — that people toss up completely over-the-top and ridiculous candidates for the lulz. Hodor and Hot Pie being two popular examples.

The Hodor thing is a joke, don't worry. The joke is that there's a secret Targ hiding behind every bush — Jon! Tyrion! Darkstar! Jaime! Cersei! — that people toss up completely over-the-top and ridiculous candidates for the lulz. Hodor and Hot Pie being two popular examples.

I was aware that people have crackpot theories about secret Targs but I couldn't see why Hodor was a candidate. Haha thank you for clarifying that for me. :D

While Apple is right there are a lot of Jokes/crack pot theories, some really do think that some other characters are realy Targs.

And while Hodor is a great answer for any question, Hot pie could be a Baratheon bastard, we know there is more then 10 out there that we have not knowingly meet.

If you have not read Dunk and Egg, I suggest you do.

While Apple is right there are a lot of Jokes/crack pot theories, some really do think that some other characters are realy Targs.

And while Hodor is a great answer for any question, Hot pie could be a Baratheon bastard, we know there is more then 10 out there that we have not knowingly meet.

If you have not read Dunk and Egg, I suggest you do.

I know, but whenever I come by a thread about x=secret targ, I feel as though a majority of people claim it as just a crackpot theory so I usually disregard it. I'm just trying to figure out which characters have been truly considered and why.

And no I haven't yet, but I should probably get on that.

I know, but whenever I come by a thread about x=secret targ, I feel as though a majority of people claim it as just a crackpot theory so I usually disregard it. I'm just trying to figure out which characters have been truly considered and why.

And no I haven't yet, but I should probably get on that.

Trying to figure out the why is probably a fruitless effort. Secret Targaryen threads pop up every week and I still don't really understand why it's such a beloved topic. Obviously, there are plenty of people and families running around with Targaryen blood (the Martells and Baratheons specifically; Aegon the Unworthy's many bastard heirs, Aerion Brightflame's descendants, etc) but these secret Targ threads seem to ignore these facts and try to find secret Targaryens in the most convoluted way without actually fleshing out a theory that would add to the story. It's not like the Targaryen bloodline is truly dead. It would make more sense to devote time to seeking out secret Starks considering that is a truly dying blood line from what we know so far.

I honestly think the Cersei/Jamie=Targaryen is pretty ridiculous. The evidence is very flimsy and relies on the idea that Aerys crushed on Joanna and took liberties at the wedding and somehow...had sex with Joanna with everyone around and no one suspecting that her pregnancy could be due to him?

Dr. Pepper,

It's a speculation on the forum that Brandon Snow, son of Torrhen Stark, was the one who was making the weirwood arrows. It's never said in the text of the world book.

That said, I think the weirwood arrow-making may be considered making something less mundane than a notional weirwood bed.

Dr. Pepper,

It's a speculation on the forum that Brandon Snow, son of Torrhen Stark, was the one who was making the weirwood arrows. It's never said in the text of the world book.

That said, I think the weirwood arrow-making may be considered making something less mundane than a notional weirwood bed.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm realizing that I'm starting to have a real problem with separating speculation from book(s).

But does that mean that Northerners were not using weirwood in furniture-building? Should the idea of Ned's bed being constructed of weirwood be tossed aside?

P.S. I'm sooo dying for the world book to be out. I've even allowed myself to look at spoilers, something I usually loathe doing.

At the end of the Varamyr chapter, he fails to get into Thistle (she basically kills herself rather than be taken over), and he's forced to have his "second life" in the skin of One-eye. Then One-eye and the pack crest a hill... and all the wights in the area turn their attention to them, sensing the life in them.

That said, we later meet One-eye and the other wolves safe and sound (as far as that can be said for any living thing beyond the Wall), so I guess the wights didn't bother.

As to the alchemist-Jaqen, compare the description of the alchemist to the new face Jaqen dons in the chapter where he leaves Arya. They're an exact match.

Archived