More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Why was there such a fuss about Edmure not obeying Robb's orders (apart form ruining war plans)? After all he was protecting his lands and Riverlands are not a part of the Northern kingdom, so he wouldn't be obliged to follow orders from Robb. Was Robb his king or not? Was Robb a king of all the Riverlands if the liege lord took him as his king?

Would I be right to assume that Westeros is a fully feudal society? i.e. one in which all land and property is ultimately held from the monarch.

Or can you go out and buy the Freehold of a house? For example, Littlefinger's brothels in King's Landing?

And you know this for a fact?

He's joking.

Why was there such a fuss about Edmure not obeying Robb's orders (apart form ruining war plans)? After all he was protecting his lands and Riverlands are not a part of the Northern kingdom, so he wouldn't be obliged to follow orders from Robb. Was Robb his king or not? Was Robb a king of all the Riverlands if the liege lord took him as his king?

The lords of the Riverlands had pledged Robb fealty at the end of A Game of Thrones. I can't find the passage, but I think there's a place where Hoster (or possibly Edmure) acknowledges that Robb is his king. In any case, Edmure certainly takes his orders from Robb.

Riverlands is a part of kingdom of north. They supported him in their independence war so they will be a vassal of the new kingdom of north. What else would happen? After the war is finished would they swear to the iron throne?

And you know this for a fact?

As Lebron said I was Joking.

Just to add, I think you are mixing the north (region) that is above the neck, and the Kingdom of the north. And Robb titles said King of the North and the riverlands.

And if the Tulys swear fealty to someone, the lesser lords that are his subjects are the subjects of this someone also, unless they rebel but normally the great lord speak with the voice of all his subjects.

If Wynafred Manderly were to marry Harrion Karstark, would Wylla become heir of White Harbor or would Wynafred and Harrion rule over both Karhold and White Harbor?

Wynafed is the heiress to White Harbor, and Harrion is the Lord of Karhold so they rule over both Karhold and White Harbor.

1) Is Arnolf Karstark truly on Stannis or Bolton's side? Supposedly he has fealty towards Stannis, but Ramsay was saying something about him being on the Boltons' side?? So he's a turncloak?

Strange question. This is a major part of the Alys Karstark storyline. In her words: "Arnolf is rushing to Winterfell, 'tis true, but only so he might put his danger in your king's back. He cast his lot with Roose Bolton long ago.... for gold, the promise of a pardon, and poor Harry's head. Lord Stannis is marching to a slaughter".

Jon Snow is alarmed and sends a messenger raven to Stannis. Which remains a cliffhanger throughout "Dance" since no character confirms that the raven reached Stannis.

2) Was it Mors Umber and his crew that were banging those drums outside of Winterfell even though the Boltons thought it was Stannis' army coming for them?

Tycho Nestoris of Braavos shares this information with Asha: "We had expected to find the king at Winterfell. This same blizzard had engulfed the castle, alas. Beneath its walls we found Mors Uber with a troop of raw green boys, waiting for the king's coming".

3) Where are the three Freys Wyman Manderly had treated with at White Harbor? It was Rhaegar, jared, and some other one I forgot. He said they were to meet up at the wedding? I'm assuming Manderly meant the wedding between ramsey and fake arya, or was it the wedding between one of the freys and Manderly's granddaughters?

Rhaegar, Jared, and Symond. They depart from White Harbor and receive guest gifts. Which means that their period as honored guests has just ended. They disappear without a trace.

In the wedding, Wyman delivers three meat pies. Supposedly containing "seasoned pork". Wyman himself serves pieces first to Roose Bolton, andFat Walda Frey. Then to Aenys and Hosteen Frey. As the two male Freys are served, Wyman states to them: "The best pie you have ever tasted, my lords. Wash it down with Arbor gold and savor every bite. I know I shall."

Sometime later a thoroughly drunk Wyman mentions: "We should have a song about the Rat Cook. Singer, give us a song about the Rat Cook".

The Rat Cook supposedly served a meat pie to a king. The meat used belonged to the son of the king. Rhaegar Frey happens to be a son of Aenys. If Wyman is emulating the Rat Cook, the implication would be that Aenys consumed the meat of his own son.

I also have difficulty seeing who the Boltons have as true house allegiances. Whoresbane looks like he's only with them b/c he wants Greatjon back. Manderly is bidding his time till he gets some Frey bloodbath and/or for Davos to get Rickon back as lord of winterfell so he can declare for Stannis. What about the rest of the northern houses? Why are they with the Boltons?

Well, this is the North, not the Westerlands. The leaders of the various Houses play complex political games, they are not slavishly obedient to any leader. The best clues so far are given in the assessments of Jon Snow:

*The Ryswells and the Dustins are tied to House Bolton by marriage.

*The Hornwoods simply follow their hereditary Lord. And the current Lord is Ramsay Bolton.

*The Cerwyns are led by Jonella Cerwyn. Her motivations are uncertain, though she may be looking for ways to solidify her rule.

*The Tallharts are nominally led by Eddara Tallhart. The girl is only 10-years-old and unlikely to challenge Roose Bolton on her own. The seat of the House is held by the Iron Men. So the Tallhart troops might by seeking new leaders.

Archived