More Small Questions, Really?

Angalin

Does anybody know how glass candles work in foretelling the future?

Nope. They were described by Marwyn as being used to see and communicate over long distances, and enter people's dreams and give them visions, but not prophecy.

Yes, as the person above me said,the alchemist is Jaqen H'gar who changed his face after he parted ways with Arya at Harrenhal. Remember how he changed his face into another with black hair and curls? That's him. He was the one Pate was talking to in the prologue of ADwD, and afterwards it is implied by the end of Pate's chapter that Pate is killed by him. Then, he assumes Pate's face to get into the Citadel.

Forgive me if this is painfully obvious, alas i will ask anyway. Cersei seems to think the Younger more beautiful queen is Margaery. But is it to blatantly obvious that its Dany, or is there someone being overlooked, There is not many other nobles noted as a beauty aside from possibly Sansa.

Forgive me if this is painfully obvious, alas i will ask anyway. Cersei seems to think the Younger more beautiful queen is Margaery. But is it to blatantly obvious that its Dany, or is there someone being overlooked, There is not many other nobles noted as a beauty aside from possibly Sansa.

There are all kinds of interpretations, and in general 'it's obvious' is mostly code for 'it can't be true' around here. "Another" may or may not even indicate queen.

Why did the alchemist want the master key in the Prologue of A Feast for Crows?

A lot of people think it was to get an old book, however...

There is the theory that he did not really want the key. Offering a Pate a task which he knew was wrong was a test, which he failed. It gave him a reason to kill Pate. If he wanted the key, and the book, he could have just killed Pate and gotten it himself. He also is still hanging around the citadel, and the Maester that is into magic when Sam gets there.

Anyone know/theorise how the Night's Watch would react to a tree literally relieving someone of their position on the Wall? Would they be running to obey, refuse adamantly, freak out now that tree's be speakin'? I could imagine Bran tree-telling Jon to go south and save stuff if he needed someone to do so, and I just wondered how the NW would take that.

Anyone know/theorise how the Night's Watch would react to a tree literally relieving someone of their position on the Wall? Would they be running to obey, refuse adamantly, freak out now that tree's be speakin'? I could imagine Bran tree-telling Jon to go south and save stuff if he needed someone to do so, and I just wondered how the NW would take that.

Bran cannot speak through a tree. If he could, the reactions would be "holy shit trees speaking". But he cannot.

Is that a certainty?

In the long run, I mean.

Well, there are no certainties with fantasy series, but I'm inclined to say yes. We have never heard a tree actually speak, and there have been a number of greenseers, Bloodraven included. And it doesn't fit the abstract image of the old gods in my opinion, for example Theon thinks he hears his name in the whisper of the leaves, etc. I think it would ruin it if a tree speaks directly with words and people hear it.

Well, there are no certainties with fantasy series, but I'm inclined to say yes. We have never heard a tree actually speak, and there have been a number of greenseers, Bloodraven included. And it doesn't fit the abstract image of the old gods in my opinion, for example Theon thinks he hears his name in the whisper of the leaves, etc. I think it would ruin it if a tree speaks directly with words and people hear it.

Us not hearing the trees speak doesn't say all that much. For the time during the series there has been a single Greenseer, and it's not like we have much info on any specifics of times that aren't relatively recent. The trees may have been used as phones by the COTF for all we know. However, I can understand your point of view.

Although I still believe Bran will be ramping up his tree powers by a lot, and that tree communication in some form is going to come with it.

Us not hearing the trees speak doesn't say all that much. For the time during the series there has been a single Greenseer, and it's not like we have much info on any specifics of times that aren't relatively recent. The trees may have been used as phones by the COTF for all we know. However, I can understand your point of view.

Although I still believe Bran will be ramping up his tree powers by a lot, and that tree communication in some form is going to come with it.

I always thought that Bran's power would exceed Bloodraven's. And I thought it was Bran who spoke to Theon through the leaves. Even Ned could hear whispers in the leaves. I think this is the same scene in the past that we see:

1. First Ned says that sometimes he could hear things in the rustling of the leaves

2. In Dance, Bran literally tries to contact Ned and cause the whispers in the leaves.

Also, in Brienne's arc in Feast, there was a place called the Whispers, and it had a weirwood. She buried Nimble Dick there, didn't she?

I think that Bran could contact someone through the trees. I believe Bran contacted Theon that way. I think only a very powerful Greenseer could do that.

I always thought that Bran's power would exceed Bloodraven's. And I thought it was Bran who spoke to Theon through the leaves. Even Ned could hear whispers in the leaves. I think this is the same scene in the past that we see:

1. First Ned says that sometimes he could hear things in the rustling of the leaves

2. In Dance, Bran literally tries to contact Ned and cause the whispers in the leaves.

Also, in Brienne's arc in Feast, there was a place called the Whispers, and it had a weirwood. She buried Nimble Dick there, didn't she?

I think that Bran could contact someone through the trees. I believe Bran contacted Theon that way. I think only a very powerful Greenseer could do that.

Yes, he can make the leaves crumbling kind of sound like they're whispering one's name, but that's far from communicating. I think that his communication will be mostly through dreams, and sometimes through warging animals.

We have never heard a tree actually speak,

We have heard a gate speak, though (as larrytheimp just noted before me). I think Drunkard's question (how the NW would react to orders from a tree) goes to the heart of an impending kingdomwide hysteria -- how will everyone react to the explosion of the supernatural: the Others appear south of the Wall, dragons arrive, a powerful new Greenseer begins to act, glass candles burn, various undead types (unCat, Gregor, maybe Brienne) march, wargs of all kinds go public, various swords of myth show up, the CoTF re-emerge, people assume different identities via glamors and new faces, and maybe even (I fervently hope) a severely peeved WolfHead RobbWind rises for a glorious moment of vengeance. Amid all this, a talking tree will seem like old home week.

The rise of the Faith Militant is probably the vanguard of the reaction of the various religions and zealots.

Archived