Something regarding Theon's WOW sample chapter

houseHB

In Theon's sample chapter from WInds he hears Mors umber's voice sound pleased when he hears Winterfell's gates are opening readying for battle. Does this reference indicate that Mors Umber knows that there are Northern lords inside the castle who are patiently waiting for revenge on the Boltons and Freys? Why would Mors Umber be happy that there is a battle that is about to begin when Stannis's forces are greatly outnumbered and in treacherous conditions. This is why I think the Northern lords wrote the letter to Jon because they know that Jon has been named Robb's heir.

It may be more than that. Mors only had a small force that was mostly untrained. I don't see why he would be happy at fighting with that kind of disadvantage. And even if they wanted Jon to come help how would that stop his forces from getting pulverized then and there? I think he has a plan we don't know about.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I think the Northern lords wrote the letter to Jon because they know that Jon has been named Robb's heir.

If Jon was Robb's heir why would Mors pretend to be Ramsey if he wanted Jon's help? I don't think the northern lords wrote the letter to Jon. Anyways how would they know that Abel was Mance?

I think Mors is happy because Stannis and him have plotted together a means of taking back Winterfell. In the chapter Stannis seems quite level headed even with the news of the Karstarks betrayal. Not the tone of someone without a plan who has lost hope. Mors and Stannis have something up thei sleeves planned to defeat the Boltons.

If Jon was Robb's heir why would Mors pretend to be Ramsey if he wanted Jon's help? I don't think the northern lords wrote the letter to Jon. Anyways how would they know that Abel was Mance?

I think Mors is happy because Stannis and him have plotted together a means of taking back Winterfell. In the chapter Stannis seems quite level headed even with the news of the Karstarks betrayal. Not the tone of someone without a plan who has lost hope. Mors and Stannis have something up thei sleeves planned to defeat the Boltons.

The 2 things I can think of lie with 1) Not wanting Stannis to intercept the letter. His way of Justice might be "just" but its usually on the painful side of things. Stannis doesnt come across as someone who would allow letters from Lords that basically amounts to mutiny (against him!) to be gotten away with. The 2nd is that if the Lords of the North wanted Jon to be their overlord, they would almost certainly just ask him to be in plain writing making it known they wrote it. Why rile him up into coming south and marching straight to Winterfell to attack Ramsey. They dont know he wanted men to come with him (the Free Folk) and for all they know he'd come alone and straight into trouble.

I think Jon would potentially find himself in a pretty hostile situation if he received a letter asking him to be leader in the North when WF is occupied by an iron throne backed Bolton rule and Stannis' forces are at the wall trying to make everyone bend the knee to him. In my opinion it would make more sense to lure Jon down to a weakened Stannis army with a freshly liberated North at WF and then have the northern leaders say 'lead us, please, k thanks.' If Jon wasn't around the unit he was to control what is stopping someone from any faction from kidnapping him and using him as a pawn for Northern control if him being Robb's heir was common knowledge? It behooves them to keep it a secret until the timing is right.

Also while the Bolton's are iron throne backed there is a massive storm making the south useless in aid and we know that the southern part of the IT has a couple other pending invasions / challenging armies to deal with anyways. It makes sense that the North is conspiring to regain their independence and with the current political environment in the North it is completely possible for them to do it with 'guerilla' tactics.

In Theon's sample chapter from WInds he hears Mors umber's voice sound pleased when he hears Winterfell's gates are opening readying for battle. Does this reference indicate that Mors Umber knows that there are Northern lords inside the castle who are patiently waiting for revenge on the Boltons and Freys? Why would Mors Umber be happy that there is a battle that is about to begin when Stannis's forces are greatly outnumbered and in treacherous conditions. This is why I think the Northern lords wrote the letter to Jon because they know that Jon has been named Robb's heir.

Huh?

Stannis says exactly why he is happy they are riding out to meet him. All they had to do was wait Stannis' army out - instead they are riding out to meet him. Mors Crowfood has dug traps in the ice and is currently fortifying his position. He feels confident that they will win because the Frey general is a moron and Manderly is considered fat and incompetent.

I don't think either of them know Manderly is anti-Frey. In fact, Stannis lectures about how Manderly is an asshole for killing Davos and declaring for Roose instead of him. I don't think anything in the sample chapter suggests what you are saying

Remember when Stannis says to someone (do not remember who) "you may hear that I am dead, It may even be true" do you think there is going to be another Davos like situation where someone else is killed while perhaps this time Stannis is off doing something else? If it is what will Stannis be up too?

Remember when Stannis says to someone (do not remember who) "you may hear that I am dead, It may even be true" do you think there is going to be another Davos like situation where someone else is killed while perhaps this time Stannis is off doing something else? If it is what will Stannis be up too?

He says it to Justin Massey, who is going to Braavos. It's possible, but I just figured he said that to him because he's going to be on another continent and untrue rumors can spread through the Free Cities. It's also possible Stannis faked his own death if you subscribe to the "Tojan Horse" theory regarding the battle between the Frey/Manderly group and Stannis' men

Umber is pleased because he thinks his side has a strategic advantage. The pits level the numbers (not completely) and rather than the definite death of being starved outside Winterfell he gets to fight his foes face to face. I would be pleased if it were me. A small chance of victory is better than no chance at all.

I don't think the northern lords wrote the letter to Jon. For once I don't see any reason why they would write a letter like this. Second of all the letter clearly sounds like a pissed of Ramsay lying to get Jon to come down to Wintefell after he found out that Jon send Mance to steal Ramsays bride. Also him writing that he wants his Reek back and calling Jon bastard all the time clearly indicates that it's Ramsay to me. He probably got Mance or the spearwives that survivied to tell him all the things that had been going on at the Wall and that's why he knew all those things he wrote in the letter. I'm sure Ramsay can be pretty convincing.

I think it is pretty clear that the letter was written by roose bolton i just read that chapter in adwd where in it is mentioned roose holding a parchment in his hands and reek seeing it then ramsey goes to roose and they have a heated discussion over it.

I think it is pretty clear that the letter was written by roose bolton i just read that chapter in adwd where in it is mentioned roose holding a parchment in his hands and reek seeing it then ramsey goes to roose and they have a heated discussion over it.

That happened before fake Arya was taken by Theon and the Spearwives. Most likely, that letter was from the Karstarks giving Roose Stannis' position. Ramsey probably wanted to lead the attack on Stannis, but Roose would want to send someone else instead.

Archived