Mance Rayder, Melisandre and Ramsay Snow

alienarea

why wouldn't Mance use his powers to glamor himself into Ser Allister and command the NW to open the gates to all the wildlings?

Because in my understanding that isn't how glamour works - its an enhanced illusion but not an actual change, i.e. because Mance wears Rattleshirt's bones he is perceived as Rattleshirt.

(also it doesn't fit the story ;-) at that point)

He figures out how to use the glamour while on his way to Winterfell with the spearwives, maybe when putting on his Abel disguise.

Because in my understanding that isn't how glamour works - its an enhanced illusion but not an actual change, i.e. because Mance wears Rattleshirt's bones he is perceived as Rattleshirt.

(also it doesn't fit the story ;-) at that point)

He figures out how to use the glamour while on his way to Winterfell with the spearwives, maybe when putting on his Abel disguise.

I think the only thing Mance doesn't know is the "some whispered words" part of the spell.Perhaps she told him them.Like Q does with James Bond when he's going on a dangerous mission....

Don't use this unless absolutely necessary....,

I think the only thing Mance doesn't know is the "some whispered words" part of the spell.Perhaps she told him them.Like Q does with James Bond when he's going on a dangerous mission....

Don't use this unless absolutely necessary....,

So Mance is now glamoured as

- Roose Bolton

- Wyman Manderly

- Jaqen H'Gar

• 3 weeks later...

1) Arya has escaped - that would rather please than shock Jon, wouldn't it?

2) Stannis is dead - things like this happen in war. And Jon didn't take action after the Red Wedding, for example.

3) Mance Rayder was captured at Winterfell - things like this happen and Mance isn't a friend.

4) Ramsay knows about the wildlings - sooner or later everone will, at least in the north. What is the shock value?

5) Ramsay openly threatens him - so what? Others (no pun) did so as well.

Now Jon could write back:

Bastard

Glad my sister escaped. If you want her back, come to the wall and get her. We burned Mance Rayder, don't know which imposter you are dealing with. Too bad about Stannis, but he wasn't of the Night Watch so it's none of my business. By the way, we have let a host of wildlings through the wall and since Winterfell is empty I thought it a could idea to settle them there. They'll be coming next spring.

Jon Snow

Lord Commander of the Night Watch

Now how would Ramsay act on this? And would Roose allow it?

This was more characteristic of the DwD Jon than what actually happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't anyone think Mance might be mindful of Dalla's warning ?

"... The Homed Lord once said that sorcery is a sword without a hilt. There is no safe way to grasp it.”

( especially for someone who's not an experienced practitioner )

I like the idea of Theon drawing a bow one last time. It makes sense to me that he would.

I always thought Melisandre only seeing snow meant Jon Snow, but it seems a bit silly that she wouldn't realize it with him standing right there.

It means Ramsay Snow and she does see Azhor Ahai. She doesn't recognise the glamours though.

Archived