Greatest Warrior Tournament

Top12Gun

Hotah kiled Arys Oakheart easily enough. Arys isnt Trant or Blount, he seems to be a good and skillful knight. Vardis Egans tactics were awful against Bronn. I would think that if both were equally atired Vardis would have won. Not taking it away from Bronn, it was skillfully done. But against a man who has been born and bred to be a warrior, face to face i dont think Bronn has much of a chance. Hotah also seems to have supreme confidence in his own abilities, noting that he will kill Oakheart

It wasn't as if it was a fair fight between Oakheart and Hotah. Arys charged him and his men and I believe too arrows before reaching them, I can't remember for sure, I'll have to re-read that part but it certainly wasn't a fair fight.

I honestly don't see Hotah having much of a chance against Bronn. He is way too fast and to skilled for that axe and one mistake means death for Hotah. I honestly thought this one was one of the easier ones to call. To each his own though.

Looks like I was a minute late that sucks. Anyway are all of these people in their primes?

At their peak in the series, not in the peak in their life.

I honestly don't see Hotah having much of a chance against Bronn. He is way too fast and to skilled for that axe and one mistake means death for Hotah. I honestly thought this one was one of the easier ones to call. To each his own though.

I did too, but this is meant to see where the majority rank them.

It wasn't as if it was a fair fight between Oakheart and Hotah. Arys charged him and his men and I believe too arrows before reaching them, I can't remember for sure, I'll have to re-read that part but it certainly wasn't a fair fight.

Perhaps it wasnt but Hotah is still unbelievably confident that he will have no problem killing Arys. Hotah doesnt seem like the type to make boasts lightly so i tend to believe that he would have. Hotah seems to scare people around the courts of Sunspear. IIRC he uses a long handled axe also he should have the reach on Bronn if im not mistaken.Bronns good but hes not in the top tier IMO. People talk about how fast he is, but he never wears armour. Hes compared mostly to knights who wear heavy mail so hes always going to look fast. Bronns a great dirty fighter and a brawler. I may have been wrong to dismiss him so quickly but i still put Hotah above him

1# Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

10# Strong Belwas

That one doesn't really need an explanation.

5# Brienne of Tarth

3# Ser Garlan Tyrell

Tough. Brienne did beat Loras, but it was close and Garlan is more of a warrior than his brother.

2# Syrio Forel

8# Mance Rayder

Also tough. However, Syrio's strength lies in speed and agility, and Mance has those too, so he wins.

4# Ser Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane

11# Ser Loras Tyrell

I think that Tarly should've won against Loras, but even if he did, I'd still choose the Mountain.

REGION 2

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

Tough fight, but Areo wins (longer reach, plus - he did cut down ser Arys Oakheart pretty quickly).

#5 Qhorin Halfhand

#3 Ser Barristan Selmy

Qhorin is tough, but Barristan is better.

#2 Prince Oberyn Martell

#8 Lord Yohn Royce

Oberyn is faster and has a longer reach with his spear.

#4 Victarion Greyjoy

#6 Khal Drogo

Hands down, Drogo wins. As pointed out, he would be hard-pressed against a knight in full-body armor. However, Victarion fights from a ship, so he only has light armor. Also - Drogo is faster.

Hands down, Drogo wins. As pointed out, he would be hard-pressed against a knight in full-body armor. However, Victarion fights from a ship, so he only has light armor. Also - Drogo is faster.

Victarion wears heavy plate armour IIRC

Perhaps it wasnt but Hotah is still unbelievably confident that he will have no problem killing Arys. Hotah doesnt seem like the type to make boasts lightly so i tend to believe that he would have. Hotah seems to scare people around the courts of Sunspear. IIRC he uses a long handled axe also he should have the reach on Bronn if im not mistaken.Bronns good but hes not in the top tier IMO. People talk about how fast he is, but he never wears armour. Hes compared mostly to knights who wear heavy mail so hes always going to look fast. Bronns a great dirty fighter and a brawler. I may have been wrong to dismiss him so quickly but i still put Hotah above him

I'm sure he did think that he could kill Arys, I don't expect a warrior to think that another will beat them. I actually do think Bronn is top tier at this point in time, the only people that we've seen with his kind of speed and skill is Jaime, Mance and Garlan. I just think that Hotah is the type of warrior that Bronn would do well against. Once again we will likely never know for sure but it's fun to guess lol.

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

Tough fight, but Areo wins (longer reach, plus - he did cut down ser Arys Oakheart pretty quickly).

I'm sorry but there is simply no chance that Areo beats Jaime. No way in hell. Areo cut down Arys when he charged at him and his men, it isn't as if it was a fair fight. You can't use this one moment to claim him as good enough to beat The Kingslayer. That is like saying Varys is a great warrior for shooting Kevan.

10# Strong Belwas

That one doesn't really need an explanation.

5# Brienne of Tarth

3# Ser Garlan Tyrell

Tough. Brienne did beat Loras, but it was close and Garlan is more of a warrior than his brother.

2# Syrio Forel

8# Mance Rayder

Also tough. However, Syrio's strength lies in speed and agility, and Mance has those too, so he wins.

11# Ser Loras Tyrell

I think that Tarly should've won against Loras, but even if he did, I'd still choose the Mountain.

REGION 2

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

#5 Qhorin Halfhand

#3 Ser Barristan Selmy

Qhorin is tough, but Barristan is better.

#2 Prince Oberyn Martell

#8 Lord Yohn Royce

Oberyn is faster and has a longer reach with his spear.

#4 Victarion Greyjoy

#6 Khal Drogo

Victarion actually fights with heavy plate on, because he has no fear of drowning.

Syrio I have winning almost all the fights mainly because his fighting style is completely unorthodox to the Westerosi. Mance Rayder has guaranteed never fought against a water dancer, nor even seen one fight.

And why no explanation for Sandor beating Belwas? I think Belwas is very underrated, considering he is one of the best pit fighters, like ever, he also has all those scars/

I'm sure he did think that he could kill Arys, I don't expect a warrior to think that another will beat them. I actually do think Bronn is top tier at this point in time, the only people that we've seen with his kind of speed and skill is Jaime, Mance and Garlan. I just think that Hotah is the type of warrior that Bronn would do well against. Once again we will likely never know for sure but it's fun to guess lol.

OK then were just going to have to agree to disagree. I think Bronns good, but dont think theres much there to cause most top tier warriors any trouble.

Id love to know how good Jaime is now with his left hand

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

I'm sorry but there is simply no chance that Areo beats Jaime. No way in hell. Areo cut down Arys when he charged at him and his men, it isn't as if it was a fair fight. You can't use this one moment to claim him as good enough to beat The Kingslayer. That is like saying Varys is a great warrior for shooting Kevan.

:cheers:

OK then were just going to have to agree to disagree. I think Bronns good, but dont think theres much there to cause most top tier warriors any trouble.

Id love to know how good Jaime is now with his left hand

This contest is based on the character's peek in the books. So it is Jaime as soon as we see him in Game of Thrones.

And why no explanation for Sandor beating Belwas? I think Belwas is very underrated, considering he is one of the best pit fighters, like ever, he also has all those scars/

Exactly. He has all those scars. So any half decent fighter he face, lets say Sandor, Jaime or Garlan, will make that cut count and it wont just be a scratch like he usually gets. He also wears no armour

This contest is based on the character's peek in the books. So it is Jaime as soon as we see him in Game of Thrones.

I know thats why i have Jaime down to win. I was mentioning him with his left hand as an aside.

Exactly. He has all those scars. So any half decent fighter he face, lets say Sandor, Jaime or Garlan, will make that cut count and it wont just be a scratch like he usually gets. He also wears no armour

I think people underrate Belwas because he is a humorous character. Based on the pit fighters of Meereen we have seen, you need to be pretty good to have never lost one fight, while still not wearing armour, and letting your opponent cut you.

Victarion actually fights with heavy plate on, because he has no fear of drowning.

That does sound like him. Still, I think that Victarion is a great fighter at sea, but on dry land Drogo still has the advantage (dry land being pretty much his home turf).

Jaime is one of the best fighters in the Kingdoms, but Areo was raised to be a warrior. So, IMHO, it will be a tough fight, but in the end Areo will be the one left standing.

:agree:

2# Syrio Forel

8# Mance Rayder

REGION 2

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

Hope to god you're not serious. What are you basing Mance's prowess on?? The fact that he beat a 16/17 year old Jon Snow?? Cause I don't recall any other fights he's been in, and Jon's not a terribly good fighter. Remember, he fights/trains with another kid from the NW and gets beat too. Jon is average to above average, but no way in hell that he is top tier, or even B tier. And that's what I assume you're basing this off of.

Ditto the above on this too. Your only example of him fighting is one in which frickin HODOR could have won. Not a whole lot of skill required. Whereas Jaime Lannister was perhaps 3rd best all time.

RESULTS ARE IN. Apologies for having them out late, something came up. Matchups are:

REGION 1

10# Strong Belwas

5# Brienne of Tarth

3# Ser Garlan Tyrell

2# Syrio Forel

8# Mance Rayder

11# Ser Loras Tyrell

REGION 2

1# Ser Jaime Lannister

10# Areo Hotah

#5 Qhorin Halfhand

#3 Ser Barristan Selmy

#2 Prince Oberyn Martell

#8 Lord Yohn Royce

#4 Victarion Greyjoy

#6 Khal Drogo

Fighters not listed have been eliminated. Second round deadline is 12:00 PM tomorrow.

I'd have to lean towards Jamie or Selmy. I'm actually surprised with how many people are picking Kahl Drogo to do well. He is a great fighter, but against plate armor he isn't going to make it out of the first fight. Dothraki weapons are not meant for armor, if this was just weapons, no armor, he would be a favorite but since he doesn't wear armor and he is fighting those who do, he has to get in close, exposing himself. He is very strong and fast but has a larger hit area because he is exposed. Knights are slower but you have to place your strikes carefully to ensure you do damage. I honestly think an average knight with armor would beat Drogo in this type of match up.

Whereas Jaime Lannister was perhaps 3rd best all time.

I respectfully disagree. There were Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy, The Dragonknight and many others. He may be the 3rd best in his own time, but not of all time.

Also, don't forget that Mance won his crown by proving his skills. The Wildlings didn't just decide to follow him because he had a nice cloak. And exactly what do you base your high esteem of Syrio on? The only time we saw him fight in the books, he (most probably) died.

Archived