Do I stop feeling this? [Spoilers]

Nathan Snow

It may sound a bit silly, but I started reading game of thrones a few weeks ago, and have read it nearly constantly since. This morning at around 1 am I hit the Red Wedding. Up until this point I was extremely optimistic about the northern rebellion, and picked up NONE of the foreshadowing leading up to it.

Anyways, after reading the chapters about the red wedding, I feel like crap and don't want to continue on with the story. Without giving any spoilers, does it get better? or will I continue to feel this way.

You're experiencing a feeling that almost every single reader goes through, I'm surprised there isn't a medical term for it. With the books popularity growing and everything being overdiagnosed, I can almost see a "Red Weddingitis" epidemic hitting the country after the episode airs on HBO in March. But reading about it, experiencing that chapter, the overwhelmingly loud music, the sense of foreboding over the entire proceedings, the way everyone seems preoccupied, and Catelyn's urges that something is wrong before everything goes to hell, I don't know how they're going to capture all of that as perfectly as it is in the novel.

If you haven't started reading more already, I really hope you do. There is so much more, and even though this is a horrible tragedy and we lost Robb and Catelyn Stark, there are still a ton of other characters who want you to read about them. Especially the Stark children. Arya was right outside and she got hit in the head with an ax. Don't you want to see if she's okay? :) I know it's hard, but I would definitely advise you to keep going, the third book is considered to be the best because the fourth book slows it down a little, but it is still one of my favorites.

If you can, buy the fourth and fifth book at the same time and use the guide on this website to read them both at the same time. It's like a meganovel this way and it's the way George intended to tell the story before it got too big to publish as one novel. It's much much better this way, I've read it twice this way so far.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

I hope you keep at it. Valar morghulis.

i read the whole series as a binge and whe i got to the red wedding i was quite shocked and quite gutted, i piut the book down for a minute and informed my girlfriend and my parents of the tragedy (neither cared becayse they dont read or watch the series) had a cup of tea theb thougt

right, so what incredibly ironic/twisted/awesome revenge is coming to them all, so i kept going just purely out for vengeance.

having all the books at once really helped ith this since i knew there was still so much left to happen considering i had thousands of pages left to, cant imagine what it was like for people who read it when it actually first came out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I inadvertently spoiled the Red Weddingfor myslef literally one chapter before I got to it. It was heartbreaking. I didn't start reading the books until S2 of the show began. I bought the four book set w/ the Eddard/Daeny slipcase off Amazon for a ridiculously cheap price, and in order to make the reading experience last as long as possible I try (emphasis on try) to read no more than one chapter a night.

So, a few weeks ago I'm all wrapped up in SoS and from the GOT ComiCon panel I know there's this epic scene coming up in S3 called The Red Wedding. The whole time I'm thinking TRW is gonna be Joff's wedding. Then the Frey offer comes and I start to get worried for Robb, and now I'm REALLY involved in the book. So I pick up my copy of SoS and as I aften do, I flip tot he index of houses at the back of the book. Only it wasn't SoS that I grabbed--it was book four, AFFC. I turn to the index about the Stark and in the first line I'm crushed. Noooo!!!

I was crushed. I couldn't read the actual chapter w/ TRW for a few days after spoiling it for myself. I didn't really care for Robb in the TV show, but I'd really come to like him and the Stark's chances for winning the war in SoS. It gets better though, especially the last page of the epilogue for SoS. Epic.

I posted a nearly identical thread, and am honestly not even at the rw yet lol. Though I am reading sos, I am right after the tyrion/sansa wedding. I peeked ahead months ago and foubnd out about the rw. Reading more about it recently made me pretty angry (what they did to both wolf and man). But as I get closer to the rw chapter, I see both Rob and his mother Cat as failing rulers. The foreshadowing is the "release" of Jamie Lannister by Cat, Robs breaking his oath to the Freys and marrying a non-politicaly advantageous wife, and his execution of Lord Karstark. Karstarks last words were a curse on Rob, a curse that would come true. I like Rob less the more I see how he fails the people under his protection (his subjects as King) and how he shuns Grey Wind. I know whats coming and how horrible it will be, and still I want to read, have to read. Gotta see what happens.

Archived