Mafia Shorthand

Gertrude

I’m bored with the current game, so I’m going to start a mafia slang thread so that new players and spectators can easily follow our shorthand that we take for granted.

Anti-finder:

Halo’s incredible knack for uncovering the good guy roles and forcing them to reveal. To be fair, his anti-finder power has not been evident in the later games.

Ben’s Curse:

When Ben participates in a game, it has a 75% chance of self imploding before the end is reached. Perhaps it's his icy cold touch that spooks us so.

Counter-claim:

When a person claims to have a role, then another comes out and claims the same role, calling the first a liar. Fun times.

Evil Mod:

A variant of the game where there are no FM. There has been one evil mod game played here (modded by Goatlord and Kastor) and the biggest victims were JaimeLannister and Gertrude (who no longer harbor any ill feelings, promise :P)

False finder:

When a counter-claim is made against a finder, one of them is a false finder. We like to vote out the true finder and follow the false finder. It's just what we do.

First finder

The first finder to come out is ALWAYS the true finder. True, we usually vote them out right away, but it's a fact all the same. (see 'Halotower' for the one exception)

FM:

This one is tricky. It usually is shorthand for the mafia. The original game chose to name the mafia as Faceless Men (FM) in the Westeros setting and it has stuck, no matter if the current killers are alchemists, red priests, Brothers, or Targ supporters. It also refers to Faceless Man, the player. You have to watch for it in context to be certain of the meaning, for instance, ‘Well, it’s just FM – he always looks guilty.’ That refers to the player.

Gut feeling

An emotional feeling as to someone’s guilt or innocence made famous by Gertrude in which she almost single handedly lost the game for the good guys. The game was refered to in some circles as ‘Gertrude’s Gut’ :blush:

Halotower, Halogate:

Halo Bender claimed to be a finder when he was, in fact, a roleless innocent. This move threw the whole game into a tailspin and chaos ruled the day (see also: pulling a Halo)

NAFM:

Another name for Faceless Man (the player) When FM was calling himself Not A Faceless Man, he usually ended up being a FM.

Lany Cassandra:

I thought she needed special mention as the player who has never missed a game. The most loyal of mafia players.

Low profile:

a preferred tactic of the FM to lie low and be agreeable in the hope that people forget about them. Red Sun made this move famous.

Plan W:

Whiskeyjack’s plan of voting off a person a day, innocent or not, to narrow down the pool of suspects, and perhaps nail a FM or two along the way. There’s lots of numbers and probabilities built in, but I won’t bore you with that here.

Plan W2:

Whiskeyjack’s modified plan to have the finder claimant’s reveal their partners, and then we kill them all. Hmm, it seemed to make sense at the time.

Pulling a Halo:

Making a seemingly random, chaotic move to get the game moving. Some people say it with love, while others curse and pull their hair out at the thought of it.

Sophie's board

A satellite board created by Sophelia, our most devoted follower, in order to discuss the current mafia games in private. You should check it out here.

Feel free to add on…

I was actually thinking about doing this. Yes, I'm a little bored too. :lol:

Apparently there's a Halo/WJ curse going around right now about dying the first day/night, I have no idea who either of them are in the current game but I'm better a quarter that they'll survive past day 1. I hope I win. :P

Reed

In the first day of role play, Reed is compelled to offer everyone frog legs and other questionable snacks. It is compulsory.

RP

Role Play. It is often engaged in with vigor in the first day, and then later we use it to hang people. Very logical.

RP Clues

When sympathizers are included in the game, we always look for clues in the RP to see who might be trying to signal to who. We find lots and lots of evidence, but rarely the right evidence. :(

Witch hunt

Traditionally on the third day we finally get serious and vote someone out after going with 'no vote' the first few days. The witch hunts are rarely right (in fact, have we ever got it right?). The witch hunts have gotten earlier and earlier in the last few games, but tradition has it at Day 3.

8 - Santagar - GoatLord, Bolton - Lany Cass

9 - Santagar - Lady Isabel - Finder

10 - Thorne - Halo Bender - Friend

11 - Santagar - Evil Mod

12 - Westerling - Whiskeyjack / Hightower - Halo Bender

13 - Baelish - Whiskeyjack (Martyr)

µ1 - Karstark - Whiskeyjack (Vigilante

µ2 - No alts - Halo Bender

14 - ??

Game 8 was the first game with alts. Santagar (innocent) was killed by a vigilante (Connington) in night one. Whiskeyjack was not yet cursed.

During the first day of Game 9, someone joked that Santagar would once again be killed by Connington that night. The assassins did end up killing Santagar, who was actually a finder - and Connington was her teammate, and also a vigilante (finder vigilante). Whiskeyjack was not playing.

Game 10 featured much screaming and crying from Santagar about his impending death. He ended up surviving until near the end of the game, but was a bad guy. This is both the only time the Santagar alt has survived day one, and the only time Santagar has been evil. Whiskeyjack was not playing.

Game 11 featured a fake Santagar, played by the mods, that died on night one. Whiskeyjack managed to survive the whole game.

Game 12 featured the infamous Halogate incident, which resulted in Halo being voted off in Day One. Whiskeyjack is killed by the FM for being scary, in Night One.

Game 13 also resulted in Whiskeyjack's immediate death in Night One, due to a (IIRC) completely random choice by the FM. It was controversial because the FM actually changed their target to him. Santagar was present in this game, played by Halo Bender. The synergy created by the convergence of two cursed beings caused extra weirdness - Halo was forced to leave the game after accidentally discovering the identity of the assassins through means outside the game. The strange situation resulted in an unprecedented Santagar survival, but the original player did have to stop playing, continuing the tradition.

Whiskeyjack pushed for mini-games to be played while Game 13 went on, so that he could get some play in. A group got together for the first minigame. Whiskeyjack was Karstark and died on Night One - his third night one death in a row.

The second minigame featured Whiskeyjack as an assassin. Halo Bender died on Night One.

All this evidence is proof positive of a curse on first-night deaths. These are the laws of the first night. They apply to every single game since Santagar was created.

- If Whiskeyjack or Halo Bender is Santagar, unpredictable weirdness happens. Otherwise:

- If there is a Santagar, and he is not guilty, Santagar dies.

- If there is not a Santagar, or Santagar is guilty, but Whiskeyjack is playing and not guilty, Whiskeyjack dies.

- If both Santagar and Whiskeyjack are guilty or absent, Halo Bender dies.

Circular logic

1. The logic by which you prove your own innocence beyond any and all reasonable doubt.

2. A good reason to vote somebody else off.

Death Scenes

The posts with which the mods end the day or night. Originally fairly short and to the point, these are now often pages long and worryingly graphic (see also 'FM'). This is based on the principle that if you have to be killed, better a lovingly detalied description of your intestines being pulled through your nostrils than a simple blow to the head.

Non-role claim

The act of claiming not to have a role. Performed by almost everyone at the start of the game, though repeated uses are likely to be met with suspicion. This is just as well, as people claiming this invariably turn out to be FM ... except when they don't.

Number crunching

1. The only way to determine the truth without the aid of the Finders you just voted off.

2. A good way to pass the time between the more important acts of RP and violent death.

3. A worse crime than the murders you're supposed to be investigating.

Rock solid evidence

See 'Gut feeling'.

Sheep

The people voting against you because of your original accuser's laughably poor argument (see 'Witch Hunt'). Not to be confused with the people who see sense and listen to your own insightful contributions.

Typical symp behaviour

Posting on the game thread.

Ok, so what is Oakdoor? is that like Halogate?

Oak Door

In game X, one of the Finders found that House Oakheart was guilty, and so tried to get people to vote him off. However, rather than coming out and saying she was a Finder, she first tried to base her argument on the fact that the morning's death scene mentioned an "oak door". Thus, a reference to an "oak door" may mean either an reference to clues in the death scene, or any attempt to have some voted off for spurious reasons.

Clues in the Death Scenes

Rarer than games where Santagar, Halo and Whiskeyjack all survive into day 2.

The oak door refers to the idea that there might be clues to the identity of the killers hidden in the death scenes.

It is a reference to Day 4 of Game X where the death scene contained a reference to an oak door. The Finder found Oakheart guilty that evening and tried to push an accusation of him based on the "clue" of the oak door refence, rather than immediately coming out.

Oak Door

In game X, one of the Finders found that House Oakheart was guilty, and so tried to get people to vote him off. However, rather than coming out and saying she was a Finder, she first tried to base her argument on the fact that the morning's death scene mentioned an "oak door". Thus, a reference to an "oak door" may mean either an reference to clues in the death scene, or any attempt to have some voted off for spurious reasons.

:rofl:

It was me, yes. I needed a very long time to learn that there are no clues in these scenes.

Doppelganging:

The act of mimicking a different players writing style to hide your own identity. This invariably fails because it if usually WhiskeyJack hiding his identity so usual effect is that both players die quickly.

Naming Dead Partners

A trick usually pulled by the false finder of naming a dead person as his partner.

RL

Real life or the reason that you weren’t able to post much and are now a target of a lynch mob.

Logic

A rare commodity in the game, mostly because using it ensures your death from either the FM or a lynch mob.

I'd like to amend an entry --

Rock Solid Evidence

See Gut Feeling, RP Clues, Circular Logic, Oakdoor, Typical Symp Behaviour and RL. DO NOT - under any circumstance - see 'Logic'.

Language Barrier

There are a few players for whom English is not a native language. This can be used in their favor to cut them some slack, or as evidence against them - take your pick.

I'd like to amend an entry --

Rock Solid Evidence

See Gut Feeling, RP Clues, Circular Logic, Oakdoor, Typical Symp Behaviour and RL. DO NOT - under any circumstance - see 'Logic'.

:rofl:

this is awesome.

I'm working on a 2) to the evil mod definition, but words seem to be failing me.

Sausages

What you DON'T want to eat.

:drool:

Painter of the Night

Has only appeared in one mini-game. Painted several people different colors every night.

WJ

Short for Whiskeyjack. He is an infamous player in this game. He lies as a finder. He lies as a FM. He lies as a roleless innocent. And yet he normally wins. His winning streaks started to decline when people noticed what a threat he was. WJ is now normally the only person that the FM and innocents combine forces to kill. Once his identity is known, he is either lynched or killed at night.

Gender Bender

A name given to Halo Bender after he spent an entire game claiming to be female.

Archived