Is Benjen Stark Coldhands?

jessica293

If he was a descendant of the Night King, why would he wear the clothes of a Sworn Brother of the Nights Watch?

It could be the clothes of his father, The Night's King.

I like the theory that The Night's King is Coldhands.

Welcome to the Forum ErikDane :cheers:

has anyone ever thoght that benjen may just be a red herring to get everbody to expect something huge for him then he turns up and is like "oh hey guys wat did i miss ive just been sleeping" well maybe not that but just nothing huge happens lol

Well, since the specter of the "long ago" statement by the CotF Leaf has reared it's head again in this thread I feel compelled to post my usual point about it:

While I do believe Coldhands is Benjen - regardless of that, it's become a bit of a personal crusade of mine to remind people that it's not nearly the "smoking gun" that it's sometimes made out to be. I simply try to point out that the idea that because Leaf happens to be long-lived it absolutely must mean she meant tens or hundreds or thousands of years when she said "they killed him [Coldhands] long ago" requires just as big of an assumption as anything else.

i understand what youre saying and agree that leaf doesnt mean thousands of years ago but i just don think a year or so constitues as long ago tbh

It's actually been a couple of years between Benjen's disappearance and Leaf's statement but I understand your point. In the end, Leaf's "long ago" statement will mean exactly how long Martin meant it to ;)

But really my point remains that the belief that Leaf describing Coldhands as being killed "long ago" is some kind of slam-dunk proof that he can't be Benjen requires just a big of an assumption as anything else at this point - that's all.

But really my point remains that the belief that Leaf describing Coldhands as being killed "long ago" is some kind of slam-dunk proof that he can't be Benjen requires just a big of an assumption as anything else at this point - that's all.

oh i couldnt agree more i think its more how the reader perceives it than an actual time frame if u see what i mean :) anyway hopefully we dont need to wait too long to find out lol

Why would the King Beyond The Wall and the King in the North have allowed the Night's King to live? If the Night's King had escaped wouldn't that be part of the tale? He didn't escape did he?

If Coldhands isn't Benjen, and I don't think he is, does it matter who Coldhands really is?

I got the impression that Coldhands might have been one of the obscure Night's Watchmen that either Bran or Sam recounted when they were discussing the old Night's Watch stories. I think it was back in GoT or CoK, so I would have to do a re-read, but I recall reading a story about one of the Night's Watchmen (a rather obscure member) who was lost behind the wall for one reason or another. It was said to be during the Kings of Winter era.

CH doesn't necessarily have to be someone famous. From a storytelling perspective it might be better if he wasn't.

Why would the King Beyond The Wall and the King in the North have allowed the Night's King to live? If the Night's King had escaped wouldn't that be part of the tale? He didn't escape did he?

CH is clearly a wight so the knights king didnt live at all

Ben Stark being Daario is awesome...ly crazy. I don't know which part is more out there - the fact that he, the First Ranger, abandoned his men beyond the wall, and ends up in the exact opposite corner of the world, or the fact that part of the premise is a Stark dying his hair and getting piercings, picking up an entirely different double bladed fighting style, becoming part of and evenatually a leader in a sellsword company, and then obtain the necessary suaveness and f-you attitude to hit on the queen in front of everyone and actually go through with it. Also, he ends up having sex with a young teenager. But I digress...

I don't think he's CH for the reason of the CotF saying CH has been dead a long time. I think there is a possibility that CH is the NK, and that the NK had 1st men blood, or was actually a Stark, and that if a Stark is killed by an other then he still cant become completely wight-like as other humans and animals do. That is possibly why the wildings were so keen to trade Bran to Mance Rayder back in AGOT. (he also could have been looking for some leverage from WF to get through the Wall). My best guess is that Benjen is stuck way up North as a captive of the Others.

Archived