Is Benjen Stark Coldhands?

jessica293

in one of the SSM GRRM said that colehand's reveal would be anti-climatic, so i doubt that it is benjen...my bet that it is one of the NW LC most likely the nights king

NK would hardly be anti-climactic. That would be huge.

CH identity mystery is what makes him interesting....

How can HBO show CH and keep his identity a secret?

In the book it requires only Bran not recognizing him... and vague descriptions

On HBO, he would be a credited actor... or CGI... everything about him would tell exactly who and what he is.

Well as long as the guy is credited as playing "Coldhands" they could maintain the mystery just fine. I don't see how CGI would make his identity easy to guess.

Two years is not long ago to someone who lives for hundreds of years though. Context is important.

which context?

No, they killed him long ago. Is in response to "they'll kill him."

It is not part of I wandered the worlds of men for 200 years... I was born in the time of the dragon---That was part of Leaf saying she is no child.... and ends "Men they are the children"

NK would hardly be anti-climactic. That would be huge.

Well as long as the guy is credited as playing "Coldhands" they could maintain the mystery just fine. I don't see how CGI would make his identity easy to guess.

from the book we only have: Black hands, Faded blacks, Thin, Black eyes, Voice rattles. Covered face

The cgi CH would have a body build, wear clothing, carry equipment.. he would have facial features.. he would be at a specific degree of rot. He would have a voice.

CGI would confirm or eliminate the recently dead. If the actor listed as CH is not one listed as another character, it eliminates the recently dead.

Benjen being CH is pretty anticlimactic....he is not some great historical figure.. Benjen he was not on some great mission in the far north to save the realms of men.. He did not survive the attack of the wights and was not even gone all that long. One could hardly call it a surprise,

That is possible... but leaf said... "they"-- wights-- killed CH.

We don't really get a who on the "they." We assume it's the wights (or the Others themselves) but the text doesn't make it clear.

Good points on the CGI. You're right that it can narrow down the list of candidates.

We don't really get a who on the "they." We assume it's the wights (or the Others themselves) but the text doesn't make it clear.

Good points on the CGI. You're right that it can narrow down the list of candidates.

Well the guy that gets his throat cut.. not really absolutely related to CHs thing...

but it was a weaker point on my part...

• 5 weeks later...

CH identity mystery is what makes him interesting....

How can HBO show CH and keep his identity a secret?

In the book it requires only Bran not recognizing him... and vague descriptions

On HBO, he would be a credited actor... or CGI... everything about him would tell exactly who and what he is.

That logic should put the Benjen Stark is Daario theories to rest. Since we have seen both the Bnejn and Daario actors on the show, and they are not the same, obviously.

That logic should put the Benjen Stark is Daario theories to rest. Since we have seen both the Bnejn and Daario actors on the show, and they are not the same, obviously.

Well since we've seen two Daarios it just proves we can't use the show for squat :)

• 2 months later...

I also am on the boat with the idea that it's the Night's King, but I'm a little confused on why he would have a change of "heart" and begin helping Bran.

From what I gathered, he wasn't too "nice." haha

Well we don't really know whos good or bad. I dont know whether this is plausable or not but if Coldhands is the Nights King, its possible that he is working with the bloodraven as he basically brought them to the great weirwood tree. Its pretty plausable that the old gods are connected to Greenseers and they also could have a strong connection to the Others, just like Danys dragons and R'hollor could very well be connected( R'hollors The lord of light and Dragons are fire made flesh, so theres a pretty good chance theyre connected). And just because the bloodraven is helping Bran with all the Weirwood stuff right now doesnt mean that he has ultimately good intentions.

• 1 month later...

One of the knocks against Benjen being Coldhands is that Coldhsnds apparently said some words in a strange tongue as he slaughtered the great elk. The language was likely the Old Tongue. But that shouldn't disqualify Benjen since he'd been on the Wall several years and beyond it many times. Lesthers spoke the Old Tongue. Benjen not only could have learned it--he probably did.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One clue is Benjen stated he would stop off at Crasters and...we all know, he never made it. I believe Benjen never was going there nor any "mission" he set out to for the Night Watch. Benjen set out on his own mission-I do like the theory he's further up North-prisoner-so just maybe Jon will encounter him. The theory of him as Daario is believable but it just seems "out-of-character" of Benjen to have sex with some teenager and be so reckless...

That being said, I find it frustrating how long we have to wait till or IF we ever get an answer. I cannot believe Benjen's character is dead in a ditch (or a White Walker) no way, it just feels and I HOPE his story continues soon...the actor portraying him is listed but that list is all lies...I just hate how long it's taken..

Archived