Is Benjen Stark Coldhands?

jessica293

It could be the clothes of his father, The Night's King.

I like the theory that The Night's King is Coldhands.

The reason I say he isn't the NK is because they apprently managed to wipe the guy out of history,why would they leave his body they would have cremated him.

Benjen, Benjen, Benjen, oh brother where art thou?

The realist in me thinks he's probably dead north of the wall somewhere. However, I would have liked to have seen more of him, so If I had to go all Syrio on him I wouldn't be guessing ColdHands (when we first met ColdHands I thought it might have been, but I've been convinced otherwise as the story progressed) but perhaps the Hooded Man in Winterfell. *shrug* I won't even put that forward as a theory, there's too little evidence to go that far, but as a 'If I had to choose... that's what i'd hope for'.

Well the thing is tha Ned ight not be dead, but there is gotta be a reason for him to lie and claim Joff as legitimate, That is not Ned Stark even at the cost of his family, this one is coming back, he may not be alive, but there is gonna be a deeper meaning to this.

I think he's the Night's King as well, the Night's King slept with an Other, and turned cold, but could still speak etc.

The hand found was from one of the men who were with Benjen when he left, but not Benjen himself.

Well at least we know that Benjen still kept his vows...

I just have to wonder how someone could sleep with an Other when they seem so intent on killing everything and capable of no human emotions.

You just have to use extra bed-warmers and palm a blade during the love-making.

I couldn't venture to guess who CH is. I don't believe it is Benjen and I am not totally convinced it is the Night King.

Ned is dead. When Varys told him he was a dead man, Ned was still refusing to comply with Cersei's demands. If it was believed that he would be allowed to live if he confessed to treason and claim Joffrey as the rightful king, they wouldn't require a doppleganger. If Ned was still refusing to falsely confess and they used a Ned-stand-in for the execution, it would have been more believable if he still publicly refused Joffrey's claim before losing his head.

Unfortunately, I have been to many funerals and the person in the casket didn't seem to be the person I was mourning either. Add lack of preservatives, a dip in hot tar, and the ravages of bug and bird, I'd imagine a severed head could become unrecognizable also.

• 3 months later...

Coldhands is just a meat suit that Bloodraven wears. Perhaps that is regarded as an abomination in Haggon's standards. BR/CotF are not saying any words about it just like Bran does not say any word about wearing Hodor's skin. I have no doubt that BR and the CotF are aware of Bran's skinchanging into Hodor.

I think we will see if - as I hope - Coldhands is of any further importance in the story or not - when the TV series is continued.

Will Coldhands show up there at all?

Or is it just some sidekick for GRRM book insiders, a short appearance of the Nightking or Brynden Rivers or or...who are known by bookreaders but not so important for the story itself and can be neglected by the TV show.

I hope Coldhands will show up!

• 7 months later...

The reason I say he isn't the NK is because they apprently managed to wipe the guy out of history,why would they leave his body they would have cremated him.

You're assuming that he was killed. What if he escaped? What if they didn't know to burn the bodies? What if the wighting only came up later? Cremation isn't a custom in Westeros unless you're a Targaryen.

The night's king was the 13th lord commander of the night's watch and is thousands of years old

Coldhands is dead and "they killed him long ago." Several thousand years could easily fall under "long ago." I don't think he's NK but it is possible. This is a series with magic, mystical ice creatures, ice zombies, dragons, unicorns, direwolves...need I go on?

They cremate everyone. Whomever it it escaped that fate, obviously.

No they don't. The only Westerosi who are customarily cremated are Targaryens. It's only with the emergence of wights showing up all of a sudden that they are starting to burn their dead. We haven't heard that they burned them in the past.

No they don't. The only Westerosi who are customarily cremated are Targaryens. It's only with the emergence of wights showing up all of a sudden that they are starting to burn their dead. We haven't heard that they burned them in the past.

I guess maybe that was a recent adaptation. I wonder what, the, they did with the bodies prior to the issues with White Walkers.

I think we will see if - as I hope - Coldhands is of any further importance in the story or not - when the TV series is continued.

Will Coldhands show up there at all?

Or is it just some sidekick for GRRM book insiders, a short appearance of the Nightking or Brynden Rivers or or...who are known by bookreaders but not so important for the story itself and can be neglected by the TV show.

I hope Coldhands will show up!

CH identity mystery is what makes him interesting....

How can HBO show CH and keep his identity a secret?

In the book it requires only Bran not recognizing him... and vague descriptions

On HBO, he would be a credited actor... or CGI... everything about him would tell exactly who and what he is.

Archived