New stuff in Essos

Gurkhal

Considering that there will be alot of new places added to Essos in Lands of Ice and Fire, will there be a material concerning these new places in the World of Ice and Fire book?

I hope so even while I look forward most to having some stuff with the backstory and history of Westeros cleared up.

Damn, I really hope so. What's the point of having dozens of new places without nothing a single thing about them? If they are not mentioned in WOIAF there should be some info on them in LOIAF on a special page or something. I want to know what the hell is the Bleeding Sea and those Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron.

Are you expecting background info on geographical stuff like the Bleeding Sea? Red lakes exist on Earth, the colour is caused by algae if I recall correctly.

I would dig some intel on things like the Five Forts from the same snippet as the Bleeding Sea. I'm intrigued by the Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron as well.

We'll have a little new info explaining some of these places, I expect, since George was kind enough to provide brief explanations of most of the notable new locations when sending us his originals of the new maps.

We'll have a little new info explaining some of these places, I expect, since George was kind enough to provide brief explanations of most of the notable new locations when sending us his originals of the new maps.

Great news.

I have a question before receiving the maps though. Is the presence of Valyrian roads a good indicator that the area was once under Valyrian dominance? Of did they build roads to places outside the Freehold?

How about the rest of 'Martin-World'.

It is obviously a sort of quasi-alternate-Earth.

It seems to have an ocean that covers it, tho we have no idea what the way way way distant lands are , if there are any.

It has a moon, similar to the Moon!

It seems to spin on it's axis similar to the Earth.

It seems to orbit a sun similar to Sol.

It has screwball seasons , supposedly not the product of a eccentric orbit and way out of norm obliquity.(An explanation I vehemently dislike , I mean even with dragons and red god magic one could still fix up the seasons with some beautiful exotic orbital mechanics.)

Has George even thought of what name Westeros and Essos give Martin-world?

I know man, dangling the Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron infront of you without so much as a description would be gutting, its always exciting reading about different cultures and way of life in the various cities etc. so a look at another kingdom would be schweeeeeeet!

I preordered Lands, and I hope to have some information on the new locations, new printed information, in either Lands or the World book. I'm not assuming GRRM is going to detail those lands as much as he detailed Slavers Bay or Braavos, but some basics would be good.

When is lands actually due out? and have u any updated info on the release date for WOIAF because the thread for its quite long to filter through for my liking?

Is it LandsOIAF or WorldOIAF, my head hurts :D im not sure but i think what im talking about comes with information of the lands and the families that govern/rule them???

The World of Ice and Fire is one thing: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_World_of_Ice_and_Fire

The Lands of Ice and Fire is another: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Lands_of_Ice_and_Fire

The maps start shipping out this month.

Well, the names Leng and K'dath point into a certain direction, but this does not really say what those places are supposed to be in Martinworld. But I'm really looking forward to all this stuff.

• 1 month later...

I think people from Leng look like Asian dudes with slanting eyes, white skin and dark hair etc.

I want to know more about Sothoryos and Ulthos :bawl: :crying:

Why is there no civilization in Sothoryos :dunce:

and what the hell is ''bloodless man'' and ''winged man'' ?

Lets Discuss !

I would say that "bloodlees man" means either "pale" or "coward" for the dothraki, probably both.

Sothoyros has a lot of ruins along it coast, so there must have been a civilization there at some point in the past. I think the depredations of valyrian slavers, the tsunami provoked by the Doom and finally four centuries of slave raids from the Basilisk Isle's corsairs and Ghiscarian slavers have destroyed their old civilization and prevented it from rising again.

Archived