New stuff in Essos

Gurkhal

The cities of the bloodless men are surrounded by natural protection. Interesting...

It says "cities" but there are no actual cities labeled. Why ? Underground cities ?

The far eastern side of the Bone Mountains is 'here be dragons' territory with descriptive names, rumours and possibly flat-out imaginary lands (the city called 'Carcasa' is a nod to that, Carcosa being a mythical city that was adopted into the Cthulu mythos), not hard info and reliable data.

The far eastern side of the Bone Mountains is 'here be dragons' territory with descriptive names, rumours and possibly flat-out imaginary lands (the city called 'Carcasa' is a nod to that, Carcosa being a mythical city that was adopted into the Cthulu mythos), not hard info and reliable data.

Most of essos is partially based off the mythos/indoeuropean gods

The Goat GOd of Qohor

The faceless god

Shade of the Evening-possibly related to the "enchanted wood"

City of the winged men-sounds like dreamlands

Bloodless men. Cannibal Sands, Land of the Shrykes

Ulthos -ulthar

The lands of always winter and the Sorrows all have visible resemblences to the "plateu of Leng"-there is even the spiders too. IN facet you see anisland named Leng tooo.

I've wondered if George actually wanted the continent to go on forever as a ploy to show there is no acccurate picture of the world. THe maps in the 1400s were absolutely innacurate.

For those wondering, there's going to be a good deal of new information concerning the Free Cities, the Summer Isles, Sothoryos, and other regions... more than we had originally planned, I think. :)

For those wondering, there's going to be a good deal of new information concerning the Free Cities, the Summer Isles, Sothoryos, and other regions... more than we had originally planned, I think. :)

Ran, regarding Slaver's Bay, did I imagine it or did you confirm on a recent thread that the Slaver's Cities are actually smaller than most people initially thought? I.E, that Yunkai and Astapor have populations only in the tens of thousands, with Meereen at about the combined size of the other two?

If so, that would put Meereen probably at around 150k people. Equal to Lannisport, in other words.

And Yunkai and Astapor not much bigger than Gulltown or White Harbor, which are also described as having populations in the "tens of thousands."

Is my recollection correct?

I remember that as well, in the Top 5 biggest cities thread. Which surprised me, I always felt that Astapor was like KL sized, Yunkai a bit bigger and Meereen over twice the size of both, putting it in the top 5.

ETA: Also, I'm very happy we'll be getting more information on Essos. I've always been more interested in the cultures of Essos and hopefully "other regions" will include some of the locations in the far east beyond the Bone Mountains like Yi Ti and the Jhogos Nai.

Omg, thank you ! :bowdown:

I remember that as well, in the Top 5 biggest cities thread. Which surprised me, I always felt that Astapor was like KL sized, Yunkai a bit bigger and Meereen over twice the size of both, putting it in the top 5.

ETA: Also, I'm very happy we'll be getting more information on Essos. I've always been more interested in the cultures of Essos and hopefully "other regions" will include some of the locations in the far east beyond the Bone Mountains like Yi Ti and the Jhogos Nai.

I mentioned it in the Top 5 cities thread. I just want to make sure I wasn't attributing comments to Ran which he did not in fact make. I can't remember in which thread Ran made the relevant post, but I'm convinced I read it recently. Hence my request for confirmation here.

I believe this was related to a discussion concerning Martin's depiction of Essos, here. I cited remarks from the novels about the Slaver's Bay cities being less populous than they were at their heights, and speculated that their populations may in fact be quite small.

Regarding the brand new locations introduced in the Lands of Ice and Fire, do we know if Martin always had those lands envisioned, or if he made a lot of locations up? I suppose it would be a mix.

Archived