Direwolves in King’s Landing

evita mgfs

Everyone likes to speculate, so I propose that Martinm MAY have strategically separated Sansa and Arya from their direwolves for plot reasons, as well as for very symbolic and literary reasons.

Let us speculate here what problems Martin as an author may have encountered IF he had decided to work in Lady and Nymeria into the King’s Landing network. OR just speculate what would have happened if the direwolves had come to King’s Landing.

For instance, Arya even thinks that if Nym had “been in the city, she wouldn’t have let them cut off Father’s head” (ACoF 144).

Let the speculation begin, and have fun! What would Nymeria have done?

Everyone likes to speculate, so I propose that Martinm MAY have strategically separated Sansa and Arya from their direwolves for plot reasons, as well as for very symbolic and literary reasons.

Let us speculate here what problems Martin as an author may have encountered IF he had decided to work in Lady and Nymeria into the King’s Landing network. OR just speculate what would have happened if the direwolves had come to King’s Landing.

For instance, Arya even thinks that if Nym had “been in the city, she wouldn’t have let them cut off Father’s head” (ACoF 144).

Let the speculation begin, and have fun! What would Nymeria have done?

I think if the wolves were in KL then none of what happened would have been the same. Say Ned took one or both wolves with him while the girls were busy (they would not have been allowed to roam the keep) Then Jaime would not have challenged him, he would not have been injured... Baric Dondarion would not have been sent to fetch back the Mountain (Ned ordered this in rage to the Lannisters) and he would have had more of his household guard with him.

He surely would have taken them with him to arrest the Lannisters, and if he did, his men would not have been overwhelmed... at the same age Grey Wind was taking down a lot of men in battle... in fact, there would be no need for the Gold cloaks, as he would have had (50 I think) more men and the help of Dondarion. everything that happened after this would have been different.

They would not all the beasts in the red keep. They would have been put in a stable, you think Cersei would let them in the castle? Ned would have went with it because of the biting incident on the road.

I agree with this, though whenever Ned went with his guards, he would have taken the wolves too. More so when he went to arrest the queen and whenever he had business in the city (LF whore house, blacksmith etc)

I agree with this, though whenever Ned went with his guards, he would have taken the wolves too. More so when he went to arrest the queen and whenever he had business in the city (LF whore house, blacksmith etc)

I don't think Ned would take a direwolf through Kings landing, he was trying to keep a low profile during his travels in to the city, the wolf would have been a large neon sign saying, " hey everyone look at me".

Secondly the Wolves belong to the kids, Ned does not really interact with them, not that we see. He also would not have felt the need to bring that much muscle with him. He was the hand of the king, who would dare attack him? Even if they did he had a few good swords with him and he can fight as well.

As for when he was arresting the queen and co. He would not have brought the wolves as he thought he had it in the bag, he had the gold cloaks or so he thought.

I don't think Ned would take a direwolf through Kings landing, he was trying to keep a low profile during his travels in to the city, the wolf would have been a large neon sign saying, " hey everyone look at me".

Secondly the Wolves belong to the kids, Ned does not really interact with them, not that we see. He also would not have felt the need to bring that much muscle with him. He was the hand of the king, who would dare attack him? Even if they did he had a few good swords with him and he can fight as well.

If he went anywhere with his guards then he would surely have taken the wolves, if he had not they would only have been locked away. After his son being thrown from a tower and his wife telling him it was the Lannisters he would have used all the protection he could, without taking his entire household guard.

He certainly would have used them to arrest the queen, he was expecting trouble then, this is why he requested LF get the gold cloaks...

The wolves did belong to the kids, but they would serve no use to them being locked in the kennels, and we do not know if he had much contact with them, as they were only with the Starks for roughly a month if memory serves me right...

Ned would have seen the uses a Direwolf could provide should he need the muscle, just before he was attacked he had a number of his household guard with him, rather then the one or two men he would normally have.

I see Nymeria even ravaging Syrio Forrel during the water dancing lessons, at least the first day of lessons, if Arya took her, which I think Arya would not have parted with her direwolf. My goldens try to get between my husband and I when we kiss good-bye, and they grab his hand or arm and try to pull him away. Goldens have a soft bite. They are not wolves, or direwolves!

When Syrio flicks his wooden sword, I see Nym impolitely taking the wooden stick out of his hand, and maybe a few fingers as well, and I am being nice. I imagine Nym could take his arm off from the shoulder.

However, saying that, the direwolves do relate to the feelings of their Masters, so maybe Arya's immediate acceptance of Syrio would save him. On the other hand, Arya is a bit suspicious and wary the first day she meets him. Oh well, just thoughts.

Good ideas, all.

I see Nymeria even ravaging Syrio Forrel during the water dancing lessons, at least the first day of lessons, if Arya took her, which I think Arya would not have parted with her direwolf. My goldens try to get between my husband and I when we kiss good-bye, and they grab his hand or arm and try to pull him away. Goldens have a soft bite. They are not wolves, or direwolves!

When Syrio flicks his wooden sword, I see Nym impolitely taking the wooden stick out of his hand, and maybe a few fingers as well, and I am being nice. I imagine Nym could take his arm off from the shoulder.

However, saying that, the direwolves do relate to the feelings of their Masters, so maybe Arya's immediate acceptance of Syrio would save him. On the other hand, Arya is a bit suspicious and wary the first day she meets him. Oh well, just thoughts.

Good ideas, all.

No The wolfs sense ill will, and Syrio had none towards Arya. I think the wofles would bought them some time before the entire downfall of Starks, eventually they would have grown and would have killed Joffery.

No The wolfs sense ill will, and Syrio had none towards Arya. I think the wofles would bought them some time before the entire downfall of Starks, eventually they would have grown and would have killed Joffery.

:agree: Yes, you are correct. This would have been helpful for Ned, if the direwolves went with him duriing a counsel meeting, although I am sure it would not have been allowed! :dunno:

:agree: Yes, you are correct. This would have been helpful for Ned, if the direwolves went with him duriing a counsel meeting, although I am sure it would not have been allowed! :dunno:

Why he is the Hand of the King, so he is number 2 in command Cercei would have no say.

Why he is the Hand of the King, so he is number 2 in command Cercei would have no say.

Not officially, but as the wife of the king she has kingsguards with her, she also has the power of the Lannister house guards (more then the starks) and the hound. If she did not want the wolves there, they would not be there.

Archived