Direwolves in King’s Landing

evita mgfs

No, the wolves attack the harmless as well-Ghost attacked Tyrion, Grey Wind attacked Umber and most worrying of all, Summer and Shaggy Dog attacked the Reeds and would not be called off.

:bowdown: :bowdown: Thanks, Winter's Knight. I think this is a very good point - especially the references to Summer and Shaggydog chasing Meera and Jojen up the heart tree. Hodor had to be called to call off the direwolves.

The children are married to their wolves, and we have even been discussing how they are mirror images of the other. So they subconsciously send their emotions to the wolves and vice versa, if you can follow my poor wording here. :dunce:

But super good observation.

While the wolves do share emotions and mirror actions of their owners, we have to remember, wolves are territorial animals, if somebody or something comes close to anything they think of as theirs, they will have a stare down and growl, at the very least. If they, or their owners are in immediate danger, they will strike. This is what happened with the Great John Umber... he threatened Robb and drew a weapon, the wolf struck.

When Bran was the target of a would be assassin, Summer struck. At the time of both of these incidents, the wolves were only a few months old, and still pups... can you imagine the damage Nymeria and Lady would have caused as full grown Direwolves in KL? Even inside RK?

Sorry to nitpick, but I wouldn't call Greatjon harmless, he threatened Robb and Robb had Grey Wind attack the Greatjon.

Aye, I misremembered-the Greatjon was being more of an oaf than usual.

And when Lord Umber, who was called the Greatjon by his men and stood as tall as Hodor and twice as wide, threatened to take his forces home if he was placed behind the Hornwoods or the Cerwyns in the order of march, Robb told him he was welcome to do so. “And when we are done with the Lannisters,” he promised, scratching Grey Wind behind the ear, “we will march back north, root you out of your keep, and hang you for an oathbreaker.” Cursing, the Greatjon flung a flagon of ale into the fire and bellowed that Robb was so green he must piss grass. When Hallis Mollen moved to restrain him, he knocked him to the floor, kicked over a table, and unsheathed the biggest, ugliest greatsword that Bran had ever seen. All along the benches, his sons and brothers and sworn swords leapt to their feet, grabbing for their steel.

Yet Robb only said a quiet word, and in a snarl and the blink of an eye Lord Umber was on his back, his sword spinning on the floor three feet away and his hand dripping blood where Grey Wind had bitten off two fingers.

But I did find another example of them attacked innocent folks.

Rickon had slashed at them with a rusted iron sword he’d snatched from a dead king’s hand, and Shaggydog had come slavering out of the darkness like a green-eyed demon. The wolf was near as wild as Rickon; he’d bitten Gage on the arm and torn a chunk of flesh from Mikken’s thigh. It had taken Robb himself and Grey Wind to bring him to bay.

Hm, I think that is safe to say that DW attack when they feel danger / protect kids and when kid's emotions make them attack.

All times Shaggydog attack can be seen as toddler (Rickon) throwing a tantrum.

If every badly socialized kid had a strong animal that attacks every time kids feels like it; all world would full of bitten people.

Hm, I think that is safe to say that DW attack when they feel danger / protect kids and when kid's emotions make them attack.

All times Shaggydog attack can be seen as toddler (Rickon) throwing a tantrum.

If every badly socialized kid had a strong animal that attacks every time kids feels like it; all world would full of bitten people.

Lol and if every emo kid had a wolf?

Can you imagine the never-ending howling at night? good luck trying to sleep... :bang:

I feel like the whole thing about the DW potentially protecting Ned in throne room when he confronts Cersei and the gold cloaks betray him is sort of moot. The wolves wouldn't have been following Ned and if they did, there is no way the Lannister guards would have permitted them into the throne room no?

Another thing; if they (DW) survived the fight that took most North men they would still have ended dead.

Lady defending Sansa or later Queen and Joff would have had her killed.

Nym if she escaped with Arya would be a liability.

Arya as a dirty boy/girl kid hiding in the Flee Bottom was easily overlooked.

A kid with a DW?

Instant target.

Archived