The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron

AncalagonTheBlack

Indeed. I think I will hold or the US edition though, as the UK publisher has decided to change formats and no longer offer the new books in hardcover, as they did with The Red Knight ( and which I bought in hardcover accordingly). My main issue with that is that the UK trade paperbacks all have such bad quality, they crease very badly if you open them even a couple of times. The US trade paperbacks feel better and are much more flexible. Sadly that one has now been last-minute delayed to March, very strange.

• 3 months later...

I'm about halfway through it right now and liking it a lot, the quality's pretty consistent with the first one IMO.

Read the second book a few weeks ago. I liked the first one more. Some of the political shenanigans bored me a bit.

Does the seond book add more new POVs? Cause I don't think I could handle that.

If that's the case, don't bother. There are quite a bit actually. The series expands into several new locations and so forth, and there is a lot of of point-of-view switching.

I will say this, the Red Knight's mother is wonderfully entertaining.

I have _The Fell Sword_ on my coffeetable right now. Just waiting to finish some others first. Hoping it'll live up to it's predecessor. The spoilerish bit about the Red Knight's mother has me excited already. /fanboy

Hope it's good enough to carry the same level of plain old entertainment as _The Red Knight_, even though reactions seem 'careful', to say the least.

Re-reading TRK before starting Fell Sword. This was probably my favorite debut in 2013, so I am looking forward to it.

Very good idea. I regret not at least perusing the first book before starting the second. I'd forgotten just how many characters are involved in the story and there is a whole load of new ones added to the mix in the second book.

The few issues I had with the book are as follows:

• The Red Knight's story, while entertaining, seemed to be the equivalent of a nice little jaunt to kill time before the more momentous events set to occur in the next book. Perhaps I'm wrong about this but I really got the sense that this storyline in particular was rather self-contained.

• The other storylines on the other hand, while, again, mostly entertaining, were very clearly all set-up for the next book when the Red Knight re-enters the greater narrative.

• I was never that into the storyline involving the Jacks; for whatever reason, the characters featured in it never really grabbed my attention.

• I think the princess should have had a much bigger role. She was turning into a reasonably fascinating character early in the book only to largely disappear as the narrative moved forward.

I would have also liked more scenes with the Red Knight's mother since she is such a scene stealer but maybe it was prudent of the author to use her sparingly for now.

All in all, only a slight step down from the first book which I thought one of the better debuts from the past couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

why were names changed in this book? gawin was now gavin.....skadai? i think that was the sossag chief, he was referenced as tadaio or something...even the last name murien became muriens... fecking was fewking too...kind of odd. Not a bad book but the next is set up very well.

Archived