The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron

AncalagonTheBlack

Dread Wyrm was very good,stronger than #2 with some great moments.

More on The Master (Masters & Mages #1) :

I know what the blurb says, but that's more what they'd like me to write than what I will write... it's not a coming of age book.  All people are coming of age all the time.

What it is is a multi-cultural look at violence, public order, and concepts of good and evil.  So I'll draw on renaissance Venice, the Ottomans and the Italians for one culture; on Mamluk Egypt for a second, and on Ming China for a third.  None of them will be 'good' or 'bad.'  They'll just be themselves, in a fantasy setting. This isn't historical fantasy... these are originals cultures and I'm merely mentioning my inspirations.

It will be magic heavy and philosophy heavy, with tantric, Taoist, Confucianism, elements of Pythagorean idealism, and lots of Hellenistic religious practice put together in a stew of gloriously irrational human attempts to understand gods.
The 'bad guy' will be very bad indeed.  And yet, utterly idealistic.

Some of the protagonists will use violence ot accomplish their ends.  Some will believe that all violence contributes only to the spread and triumph of evil.

See?  Simple. 

On 7/29/2015 at 8:50 PM, WrathOfTinyKittens said:

I never posted again after reading the second book, but one thing the series needs is some consistency. Names and relationships change from book to book and sometimes chapter to chapter. It's *really* distracting.

So this hasn't changed in the latter books? I get a feeling Cameron pops the books out a bit too fast and the publisher saved the costs for a good editor. Being an editor myself, this can really take the fun out of a story because I keep noticing these things.

Second, does he still have those choppy POV shifts with scenes that are only a few paragraphs? That was another reason I couldn't warm up to The Red Knight. I remember you were pretty critical about the book in 2013 and now like the series. What changed on the reread? 

On 2/27/2016 at 9:59 AM, Claustrophobic Jurble said:

If anyone read Dread Wyrm, how was it?

This is what I wrote in the thread before the board ate it during the upgrade (courtesy of AncalagonTheBlack)

"Finished reading the Dead Wyrm, loved it. I really liked the Red knight, but felt a bit let down by the Fell Sword. But this one was fantastic. I hope more people discovers this series. I was pretty disappointed by book 2; especially after the high of Red Knight which was so good that I put Cameron on my must read fantasy author list. This one is a fantastic return to form. I am really looking forward to the next book. "

You can read the rest of the discussion here  (courtesy of AncalagonTheBlack)

http://forum.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76104-the-traitor-son-cycle-miles-cameron/page-7

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kinda amused by the fact that the author himself apparently refers to the series as 'Red Knight' even though its official name is 'Traitor Son'.

I'm kind of intrigued by the information that book 5 will be the last, given he's previously in interviews said that we'll be visiting many parts of the world, and possibly other times. Is Masters and Mages in this world? If not interesting to see where he goes if/when he returns to it. Since he'll presumably no longer be doing Arthurian legend.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished The Red Knight and loved it...really impressive worldbuilding that combines fantasy cliches and Arthuriana in new and interesting ways.  It took a while to get pulled in, but once I was...wow!  

That said, it was easily the worst edited book I've ever read...so many simple errors.  Not sure what the heck Orbit was doing but between that and the UK covers being so much better, they really come off looking bad.  Cameron's book is good enough to overcome, fortunately...

• 3 months later...

I've read the first two which, as others have said, were pretty hard to get into initially, but once I had were enjoyable. I didn't realise that the third was out, let alone a fourth on the way. I do much prefer his historical fiction though, where he is one of my favourite authors for his Tyrant and Long War series. A little bit of a shame for me that he is more intent on writing fantasy at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Plague of Swords.

Good fun, though not as good as The Dread Wyrm.

It's a bit odd how he essentially introduced the Odine as a threat in this book, and then dealt with them by the end of it- it made them feel rather filler, just something for the characters to do while he set up the final conflict with Ash.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:03 PM, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

really enjoy Ablemont , more than Gabriel and his Bros at this point.

Me too,although i enjoyed the Kronmir story arc more.I'm surprised that Gabriel only comes into the picture a good 30% into the book.I'm halfway through and really enjoying this.

I'm an Ice and Fire fan but I actually joined the forum to post in this thread. 

I read the Red Knight a while ago and thought it was pretty good but not great.  As the series progressed it really started to grow on me. The stuff that seemed like filler in book two proved to be setup and foreshadowing for book four.  I just finished "A Plague of Swords" and loved it. 

Miles Cameron's wiki puts his take on the genre into perspective. He had a degree in Medieval history (which is probably not surprising). But he also served as a Navel intelligence officer which I spouse sheds some light on the Jules Kronmier story arc. I was also intrigued by his insight into the physicality of living and working in armor day in and day out. Most authors don't really get into it much deeper than saying a mail shirt is heavy. So it makes sense to find out he's an active reenactor 

Anyway if anyone still wants to chat about this series I'm game.

Archived