Why do many people find Brans chapters boring?

The Great Walrus

I always found Brans chapters to be among my favorite in the series, especially in aDwD. But around the forum, especially the confession threads, many users have found Brans chapters to be extremely boring, to the point that many people skip them. Could any of you give me some good reasons why people dont like Brans chapters?

- Not political or action-awesome enough (on the most part).

- Getting too deep into magic territory.

- Don't like reading from the perspective of a little kid.

- Passionate hatred of all things Stark.

- Too detached from the 'main' current events.

- etc.

I think there's quite a few reasons not to like them. Personally, I've always liked Bran's chapters, but I can see why people wouldn't.

- etc.

I think there's quite a few reasons not to like them. Personally, I've always liked Bran's chapters, but I can see why people wouldn't.

You make some good points, but i've never understood why people don't enjoy the magical elements in the series. For me at least, they really help to keep me reading after i start getting sick of politics and intrigue.

I liked them up until ADWD (although I had never read A Game of Thrones), but then I just found them a bit slow and detached from the main plot. Sure I was interested in Coldhands, but it just wasn't what I expected. I sort of had high hopes for what the three eyed crow would be, and how Bran's character could potentially change. Instead he just sort of hangs around in a stoner cave, observing things from afar. It's good in it's own way, but I just don't think he's in contact with that many interesting characters (and as someone mentioned, it is a bit magic-y for me).

Edit: Great Walrus, the politics and intrigue is what makes this series of books better than others. Give me politics and intrigue and petty human conflict over Azor Ahai Reborn.

i dont see how anyone can skip chapters. It makes no sense to me. i can see if you are doing a character re read or something but to skip chapters because someone thinks they are boring seems to take away from GRRM vision. At least in my opinion. There is important info in ever pov so even tho Damphair is a weirdo is chapters obviously mean alot or George wouldnt have them

As to the OP i love brans chapters and i love them even more now that he is chillen with bloodraven

I prefer the politics that we get to see with the older characters, both Arya's and Bran's pov are amongst my least favorite in no small parts because they are children and as yet plays no part in the struggle for the Iron Throne etc. Then there is the magic part, a part of the story that I could do without (the same goes for the Dragons etc). So its not that I dont like Bran, its just that I could do without his pov.

Edit: Oh and I have never skipped a chapter, and never will.

I love Bran's chapters, if you skipped a Bran chapter you are going to miss some of the best parts of ASOIAF. Remember that we got the story of The Laughing Knight and the Tourney of Harrenhal in one of Bran's chapter. He gets to meet Bloodraven in ADWD and then sees Ned praying to the Heart tree hoping Jon and Robb grow up as close as brothers, all interesting stuff to me.

Mostly these three reasons for me.

Anyway there is no objective reason to find Bran's (or any character's) chapters boring. Each character's chapters has some different elements, different people will find different elements attractive to read/boring

- etc.

They are not detached from the main current events, his chapters are main story so they are main events, and politics are just filler in this story, and magic is what makes this book fantasy

- etc.

I think there's quite a few reasons not to like them. Personally, I've always liked Bran's chapters,but I can see why people wouldn't.

Pretty much all of this - were I not so intensely interested in The North and a fan of House Stark I probably wouldn't think much of them, and I wouldn't call them my favorites, but I'd gladly take Bran over your average Dany chapter any day. Actually one of my favorite chapters in ASOIAF was a Bran chapter ("The Wolves Will Come Again" and the Knight of the Laughing Tree story), and obviously his chapters in ADWD were a step up.

I don't know - they're my favourite! :dunno: I guess people want more action or what not, but I absolutely love Bran, Summer, Hodor and the Reeds so that's a big yes for me and also the connection with the Children and the atmosphere of mystery. I loved Bran from page one and still do. But it's no wonder, people also found the Ents boring, but I simply adore them!

GRRM is a brilliant writer about children and teenagers. I taught children for forty years and reading the books I found myself recognising Arya, Sansa, Joffrey, Tommen, Sweetrobin, Rickon, and others as real children I had known over the years. The same applied to the early Bran, even after his accident. But when he started going all mystical, I ceased to find him convincing, and I began to lose interest in his motivation. Yes, I have to confess I have been skimming his chapters lately.

Archived