Why do many people find Brans chapters boring?

The Great Walrus

I always look forward to Bran chapters. I like the little glimpses of Old Nan's stories, the future, and the past. I like that GRRM doesn't give it all away. I like that Bran doesn't focus on his powers for a long time, which I find utterly frustrating, cause I want to know more.. I want him to remember all his dreams, and figure it out quicker, but that IS the strength of the chapter. GRRM makes you smell the honey, and then takes it away leaving you wondering. I just genuinely love it, and I know there's much and more to come :D

I understand that others might not like it. Bran's story is a lot slower than others, but it fits him. I had a hard time reading the Greyjoy chapters (except Theon/Reek), and especially Victarion, because he's so utterly stupid IMHO.. I actually think all the Greyjoys are pretty dumb (no offence to the Greyjoys or anyone who does like them). My favourite reads are Arya and Bran, because their stories are so different than anyone else's. I love Sam too. I would love to see a LF POV too, or Varys, they're just so mysterious (in a wicked way)!! On the other hand; I like that I have no idea of their intentions...

I love Brans chapters and I love watching the world through his eyes. I don't think his story is secondary. I always thought that amongst all the adults who were playing a game in kings landing it was Bran and his friends who were truly working to save the realm. He was their only hope even if they didn't know it. And that's why sometimes politics really pisses me off and I think if this series was only a medieval political drama I wouldn't like it as much.

I know Bran's part in the endgame is going to be a significant one but I'll admit I don't love his chapters. I'm a Stark at heart so I will read his chapters 5 times over to learn whatever I can about the family and relevant context but I can't say I see a Bran chapter coming and have the anticipation that I get from a Jon or Tyrion chapter. Can't really put my finger on it, maybe its the lack of violence/battle/conflict with the major Westerosi houses.

I was kind of surprised that so many people found Bran POV's boring, but I guess it's just a case of to each his/her own. I love Bran POV's because they are like little vacations from the all war and political intrigue all the time that most of the other POV's offer us. Even though I appreciate the politics and battle action parts of ASOIAF, I do occasionally need a respite, particularly after we've just been served up a heaping helping of the death/torture/starvation of the most recent losing faction or the latest group of innocent bystander smallfolk.

I like the magical parts as much as I like the non-magical parts of the story, and feel that the whole, overall, would be weaker without them.

- Getting too deep into magic territory.

Thats actually the main reason i dig Bran's chapters. The way GRRM writes magic is interesting to me and a bit unconventional when compared to other fantasy stories. The magic is a bit more subtle and mysterious and i like that. Plus i love Bran's journey both physical and spiritual. Theres something about it i can kinda relate to.

I have mixed feelings about Bran's chapters. I love the info we get on Notrthern politics in his chapters in the first two books, and his character development (trying to deal with his disability and the absence of his parents) is quite interesting then. The greenseer and the warging stuff mostly bores me though. I don't like most of his chapters after he left WF. Too much warging and too little else of interest. Plus Jojen is an total bore and Meera isn't all that interesting either

Thats actually the main reason i dig Bran's chapters. The way GRRM writes magic is interesting to me and a bit unconventional when compared to other fantasy stories. The magic is a bit more subtle and mysterious and i like that. Plus i love Bran's journey both physical and spiritual. Theres something about it i can kinda relate to.

This exactly. Also, I'm a sucker for magical kids. I thought Bran's chapter with Bloodraven where three months pass was beautiful. The only thing I don't like is I'm worried that BR and CotF have nefarious plans for Bran.

This exactly. Also, I'm a sucker for magical kids. I thought Bran's chapter with Bloodraven where three months pass was beautiful. The only thing I don't like is I'm worried that BR and CotF have nefarious plans for Bran.

No man is more dangerous than a deserter of the Night's Watch, Bran..

Archived