Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Deaths already in Toronto and we haven't even seen the brunt yet. The complication here is that Sandy's running headlong into an artic strorm coming down that was itself worthy of an issued warning...so this could get complicated. Anyways, one woman was killed when a road sign was torn free by the wind and struck her down. Apparently it was pretty gruesome.

The hospital evac in NYC sounds really terrible.

I know this isn't exactly news, but there's been some photos circling the web on social media that can easily be fake. (There's one with giant waves hitting the Statue of Liberty which is from the Day After Tomorrow, or ones involving soldiers which were taken in September).

I found this great site that posted a bunch speculating which ones are real, which are fake and so on. I found the FDR Drive photo insane:

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/instasnopes-sorting-the-real-sandy-photos-from-the-fakes/264243/

Well my unit never got called up (fingers are crossed) but I know other Guardsmen were on Cape Cod Monday, making barriers against the waves. Luckily, it seems like Massachusetts was left comparably unscathed.

I hope everyone is staying safe!

I too hope everyone is still safe and sound.

As for how far-reaching this storm actually is DTE, the southeast Michigan power company, is reporting 34,000 out of power. In Detroit.

As a New Yorker with a bunch of facebook friends, I will say that there are definitely a ton of fake pictures being spread around, that absurd Statue of Liberty picture being the most common. Which is pretty damn depressing to those who are actually in emergency areas.

I missed the worst of it (I'm up in Queens), but I have a bunch of friends out of power on Manhattan and south Brooklyn. Tomorrow will be a telling day, as damage tolls become clearer.

Best wishes to anyone else in the path of this monster. Stay safe and be well. And for our sake, let's hope this thing gets worked out soon. This city needs to get back to work.

Also waking up with my home (apparently) no worse for wear after this and power still on. I'm thankful and sending all my good thoughts and well wishes to those not as lucky in the aftermath and those still in this.

We've still got a high wind alert through today, but the extent of our storm damage seems to be mums blown off the front porch. Sandy didn't want to play with us, which is just fine with me. Hope all other boarders are doing well.

Power, internet still on...baby still sleeping. Still dark out so no idea how much has come down, but I didn't hear any big thumps through the night so it hopefully is going to be just more fall clean up.

Saw some images from RI & the CT coast that look pretty scary from the surge and high tide.

Power went out before 10pm last night, returned before 4am. So far seems rainy with a little wind from time to time. Despite the hurricane's strange wind field, my area (Maryland, to the NW of DC) seems to be pretty fine so far (especially in comparison to a lot of the Northeast).

Power went out at 11pm, came back on some point over night. Storm seems to be over here too. Gonna say DC definitely lucked out compared to most of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.

I had power through the night in upper Manhattan, although it did blink on and off a few times around 9.00pm. Apparently my office on 29th and 5th also had power through the night, although everything is blacked out across the street from them. I'm staying home for now but am hoping to go into work this afternoon.

Archived