Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

So, from the news reports this morning, it looks like NYC might have the most damage with all the flooding in lower Manhatten and the fires in Queens. And they are saying 80 to 100 houses have burned.

Amazing that a hospital would have both the main power and the back up generator go out. Not what you would expect in a big city.

On the blizzard end of Frankenstorm, we have about 6" here with the higher elevations well over a foot. Around 30k people without power in the surrounding areas of southwest VA/southeast KY (thankfully we are not among them).

My father-in-law who works for AEP is headed up north to the areas hit hardest to help with restoring the power. Continued well wishes for all those affected.

No problems here in western SJ, (well 1 problem ran out of dog food) well away from rivers and the shore, I heard another part of my development lost power, not even a flicker here. Hearing lots of familiar town and area names (I work across the state) and hope all is well with everyone.

Yeah the Sci got lucky. Power is down in much of Sci-ville but I escaped unscathed.

Wow. Hadn't heard that. (Just got up. :P) Our power is still on, but winds are still blowing - not as intensely as last night, though.

I'm not sure whether the weather conditions we're having are due to Sandy, though. Wasn't it just the cold front?

It's due to Sandy. At least according to the weather people in Chicago who have announced that (the western edge of) Sandy has arrived in Chicago. We started getting the high winds last night and its supposed to continue through tomorrow with potential for flooding from Lake Michigan. The waves are looking pretty fierce this morning. Lots of flights being cancelled here due to the winds.

I'm glad to see that everyone who has checked in is doing okay.

If anyone is old enough to have owned and listened extensively to the Grease movie soundtrack over and over again...I've had that stupid "Sandy" song going through my head for the past 24 hours. Its driving me batty!

We came in very early this morning to recheck all of our rigging and equipment, and it was crazy. Anemometer read gusts of 110 km/h+.

Had to help other contractors secure their suspended platforms at other projects, which were on the verge of falling to the street. Fucking insane.

It was pretty dicey for a while, but thankfully, no one was hurt.

If anyone is old enough to have owned and listened extensively to the Grease movie soundtrack over and over again...I've had that stupid "Sandy" song going through my head for the past 24 hours. Its driving me batty!

Oh good, I thought it was just me!!!

Why ayay ay

We came in very early this morning to recheck all of our rigging and equipment, and it was crazy. Anemometer read gusts of 110 km/h+.

Had to help other contractors secure their suspended platforms at other projects, which were on the verge of falling to the street. Fucking insane.

Wow. Be careful! - which I know you will, but I just had to say it. :P

Yes. And I have a college friend named Sandi. She's getting quite a ribbing on Facebook.

Thanks Balefont! I was coming back to edit - just heard back from him. He said he doesn't know if there was flooding downtown but the base and his house were both fine and he has power. He said it's sunny right now, though I find that hard to believe.

Apparently his future base in CT was hit badly though. Good thing he hadn't already been moved.

There was someone who was staying on Staten Island, Arch-Maester...? Anyone heard from him? I heard Staten Island was badly hit.

Glad to see everyone else checking in safe. I've been thinking about all of you.

Archived