Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Has anyone heard anything from Bayonne? I read that parts were ordered evacuated, but nothing since then.

Friends of mine in Bayonne are in relatively good shape. They have power and don't have any flooding. I don't know if that's indicative of ALL of Bayonne, though. But I haven't heard any mention of Bayonne in the news, which I assume is a good thing.

Thanks Balefont! I was coming back to edit - just heard back from him. He said he doesn't know if there was flooding downtown but the base and his house were both fine and he has power. He said it's sunny right now, though I find that hard to believe.

Apparently his future base in CT was hit badly though. Good thing he hadn't already been moved.

The last thing you need to worry about are Sailors on shore during a storm. Not trying to be a smart ass here. They have a pretty good idea of what to do and more importantly will not hesitate.

My heart and sympathies go out to everyone affected in NYC and NJ (and everywhere else ofcourse)!!!

Glad to see so many from those areas checking in and are doing ok!!!

Our neighbor's gutter is halfway off and our other neighbor's house skirting had come off a little. Not too far from here a big tree fell on a house. I walked around our house and don't see any real damage from the storm.

My friend who works at IHOP in Salisbury said they opened at 10am and they were quickly packed. He wasn't scheduled to work today but got called in. Lots of people with no power in the area looking for a hot meal and they got power and BACON!

The salt water means it's probably worse than simple flooding.

The true horror of this will become apparent in the coming months.

Some insurance companies will /total a car if it's flooded by storm surge - even if it's brand new on a dealer's lot.

I'm glad to see so many made it through safely and I'm sorry for the losses some have suffered.

The North isn't as prepared for such things as we are here - and as terrible as it is, it could have been much much worse.

Thanks Balefont! I was coming back to edit - just heard back from him. He said he doesn't know if there was flooding downtown but the base and his house were both fine and he has power. He said it's sunny right now, though I find that hard to believe.

Apparently his future base in CT was hit badly though. Good thing he hadn't already been moved.

Glad to hear he's fine. It's gorgeous out here. Sunny and very warm for this time of year.

We just took the dogs for a two mile walk around the neighborhood and there's just a bunch of dead limbs and tons of leaves (I know what we'll all be doing this weekend!).

I think Irene did a good job clearing out most of the weak trees and branches last year. Otherwise I'm sure it would have been much worse here.

Well apparently my street got really lucky. We never really lost power for more than a few minutes at most, and even that was infrequent. I got up this morning, looked around the property, saw nothing particularly out of order, then drove down the road and turned a corner to see a detour with the entire shopping plaza near us shut down. Only one other person I know has power right now. Fortunately no one I know was hurt or anything.

Hope everyone else is making it through okay.

500 error. What was it?

Some asshat who published false info on Twitter about the storm conditions in New York. It only goes to prove that people who get their news solely from Twitter are idiots. Seriously Inigima if I could like that I would.

Heard from my Jersey side. Everyone made it through alright although a few had their cars wrecked. Power is out for most of them and they have no idea when it will come back on.

Archived