Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Still no update from any East/West Villagers?

I've spoken to friends who live in both villages and they're still without power but all are fine. No real problems except lack of power. I know a few people who have just hit the bar to drink.

A guy who tweeted a bunch of false, horrible reports last night. (it was compared to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater)

Additional fun fact: he is the campaign manager for a NY-12 US House nominee. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to guess which party.

Additional fun fact: he is the campaign manager for a NY-12 US House nominee. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to guess which party.

As much as I dislike the GOP, both parties get nutcases as nominees in districts where they stand no chance in he** of actually winning. The Republican nominee in the NY 12th Congressional has as much chance as the Satanists Against Puppies nominee, were there one.

ETA: The only reason one signs on as a nominal campaign manager for a campaign that does no campaigning is if one is an attention whore of the first order.

As much as I dislike the GOP, both parties get nutcases as nominees in districts where they stand no chance in he** of actually winning. The Republican nominee in the NY 12th Congressional has as much chance as the Satanists Against Puppies nominee, were there one.

ETA: The only reason one signs on as a nominal campaign manager for a campaign that does no campaigning is if one is an attention whore of the first order.

Yeah, I can't see political gain in it, the guy's just an asshole.

Any idea how I'd get from Newark to times square tomorrow? Or do you guys think I'm totally screwed? I have a business meeting Thursday morning and at this point am debating cancelling.

The Hudson River bridges and tunnels should be open by then. I think they're open now, even. So you could take a taxi or shuttle service. Mass transit is still highly unlikely. A taxi from Newark to Manhattan should cost around $60-$75. Shuttles will be less. The good news is that there will hardly be any traffic.

Once you're in Manhattan, getting from Times Square to your meeting via subway could be hairy if your meeting is downtown. Bloomberg is saying roads should be clear of water by tomorrow, but subways will likely not be. So, again, you could take a taxi to your meeting.

Your best bet would be to contact the people you're meeting with and see what they say. If the office is in the financial district, the office itself may be closed. They may either cancel the meeting or have it somewhere else. My brother works in 7 World Trade and he just got a call saying the basement is full of water and likely will stay that way for days.

Just heard from my inlaws in Central NJ. They are fine but no power. Estimated restoration 7-10 days (!!!!!) Have not heard from SIL who is also in NJ. Both her land and cell went straight to voice mail. I think it's due to lack of power.

The utility companies seem to be telling everyone 7-10 days. But some people have power restored already. What they mean is MAX 7-10 days, so that if it happens sooner, you don't get upset at them.

I guess it depends on whether the outage is due to flooding or downed wires. And if it's downed wires, it depends on whether a branch fell or a whole tree fell.

In our case, it was a whole tree, which also uprooted half of the person's front lawn. So, it might actually be 7 days for us.

It could've been worse, but still looks plenty bad and more reports are coming in. Anyone looking for advice on making themselves unpleasant to the power company, I'm a veteran.

Hurricane Isabel 2003: 10 days without power

Hurricane Irene 2011: 8 days

"derecho" 2012: 5 days

After Isabel, Dominion started putting up "no trespassing" signs on the block that surrounds their headquarters. When a man wakes up in the morning, works the French press for a morning cup of coffee, walks out to pick up the paper and sees Dominion's skyscaper lit up like the Fourth of July over the tree tops while he's sweating it out with the windows open, it'll make him do things.

Surviving the aftermath tip: get a French press.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nytint/projects/storm-sandy/resources.html

A current list of NYC resources and their statuses. Airports are still closed, but JFK and EWR might open tomorrow (Wed). Cuellar, you should check whether your flight is cancelled or not.

Bridges are open, but all tunnels except the Lincoln are closed.

No subways, no buses, no light rail, no commuter rail until further notice.

I've spoken to friends who live in both villages and they're still without power but all are fine. No real problems except lack of power. I know a few people who have just hit the bar to drink.

Thanks Mexal. I still haven't heard from the people I have over there, I know there was a collapse of a facade somewhere in the West Vill, I heard from them last about 24 hours ago. Just kinda waiting for them to pop up at some point.

Archived