Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Woken up by the lights turning back on at 4am. Power was out for ~31 hours. No damage to any of my people, although my aunt's basement flooded and she is rather upset about it. Other than that, this segment of the Baltimore area is in the clear, and hopefully back to normal as soon as the heat kicks in so it's not 55 degrees in the house.

Finally got a text from SIL last night. The neighbor's tree took down power lines and the family next block over had a tree fall on their car, but they suffered no damage. They may not get power back this week. I've invited all of my family to come stay with us, but so far they want to stay where they are.

eta: I wonder if NJ/NY trains will run at all this week.

Path trains won't. no subways either it looks like. I just saw that Port Authority was open with limited bus service, but Amtrak is running trains only into Newark and points south but not into penn station.

I've had family staying with me (in Brooklyn) who are trying to get back home, so we're happy to see that JFK is opening today. we'll see if their flights run tomorrow (I had switched them Sunday from a Monday flight so their lucky to have seats on a flight. but if that flight doesn't run tomorrow, it'll probably be a while before they can get on another one.

While I do realise that the well-being of people comes first, and I am very relieved that all of our US boarders made it through unscathed, has anyone in NY seen the USS Intrepid? Their website and webcams are out. Saw some pics that the tent around the Enterprise collapsed, and the shuttle possibly was damaged. I wonder what happened to their other exhibits, out in the open...

I'm an aviation geek, sorry ;)

While I do realise that the well-being of people comes first, and I am very relieved that all of our US boarders made it through unscathed, has anyone in NY seen the USS Intrepid? Their website and webcams are out. Saw some pics that the tent around the Enterprise collapsed, and the shuttle possibly was damaged. I wonder what happened to their other exhibits, out in the open...

I'm an aviation geek, sorry ;)

I haven't heard anything about the Intrepid, which is probably a good sign bc that is the kind of thing that would merit a feature in NY blogs and websites etc :). (I'm here in NY).

The US Navy is sending three helicopter carrier ships to be offshore of NYC and NJ to aid in rescue and recovery operations. As far as I know, it'll be the first time there will be carriers in the area since the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

The USS Wasp, USS Carter Hall, and USS Mesa Verde will provide landing platforms for Coast Guard, National Guard and civilian agency helicopters if needed, the officials said, adding that the Atlantic Fleet command made the decision in the name of "prudent planning."

That sucks, draw. :( Sounds like your neighbor needs a POA appointed if she can't go live with the daughter. There's no way her daughter can handle this from several states (or any states) away.

If the daughter doesn't step up, your only recourse is to call the authorities. This woman sounds like a threat to herself being left alone like this and you and your mom could be held liable to some extent for not escalating things.

Sucks draw. I think you're well within your rights to make a new thread. It's far more relevant than most of the threads I've created, after all. :-)

You're right, after posting I started feeling guilty for a heavy post in this thread when it didn't have much to do with the hurricane.

Has anyone been in contact with Quoth? He's living (or was) in New Jersey. I've sent him an e-mail but so far no response I may have an old account or he may just be without power/internet access.

Not yet. He lives in an evacuation zone, so if he didn't he might have gotten flooded and is likely without power. My father in law lives about 15 miles away and still doesn't have power. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Greetings good people. My house is destroyed. I'm not sure if we can go back there. My car was underwater but my sister can't even find hers. We were lucky to get out alive. We had to run to my neighbors who have a second story. My father and I stayed until we got our dogs and four out of our five cats out. We went back around 4:30 am to salvage dry clothes since the water was waste deep when we left and we found the remaing cat alive under a bed and hustled her out. I'm currently staying with a friend and his gf and their baby. They have no power but it is dry. Another friend of mine has power so I may move on soon and crash with them. I really appreciate the concern expressed. It warms my heart. I'll keep you updated.

Philip - I am so sorry for everything you and your family have been through, but so glad you are all okay.

Thanks for posting and letting us know. Please keep us updated. :grouphug:

There are people in my general area who got it a lot worse than I did. It happened so fast but I'm almost glad it did. I appreciate things way more now. I feel terrible for some of my neighbors who got hit harder.

Archived