Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Greetings good people. My house is destroyed. I'm not sure if we can go back there. My car was underwater but my sister can't even find hers. We were lucky to get out alive. We had to run to my neighbors who have a second story. My father and I stayed until we got our dogs and four out of our five cats out. We went back around 4:30 am to salvage dry clothes since the water was waste deep when we left and we found the remaing cat alive under a bed and hustled her out. I'm currently staying with a friend and his gf and their baby. They have no power but it is dry. Another friend of mine has power so I may move on soon and crash with them. I really appreciate the concern expressed. It warms my heart. I'll keep you updated.

I am just getting back online for a little while as my power is still out at my house but we now have a generator to run our internet, phone, tv, fridge and heater, but we don't leave it on all the time. Anyway, just saw your post. So sorry about your house! It sounds like no one was hurt though and I give you high praise for rescuing your pets as well.

Arch- Maester Phillip - sorry for all your losses... Hope things improve for you and your family

This was a wild hurricane. Not much rain but high winds here on Long Island. Lost 2 huge locusts trees1 across the driveway 1 on a car and nearly on me. Then lost 5 tree sized branches from 2 ancient maples in the backyard. How they did not land on the house or garage was pure luck. Hope all you people are ok.

Just checking out this thread after a few days. Wow, Phillip, so sorry to hear about your house - but very glad to know you and yours are safe.

All we keep hearing is about how access to gas is such a problem - in New York, in particular? or is that just because NYC is such a hub of commerce?

Thankfully the Marathon was just cancelled. The NBA game tonight should be as well, but since my company sponsors the marathon I was embarassed/disturbed that - for a time at least - they were supporting the idea of having the marathon.

Just checking out this thread after a few days. Wow, Phillip, so sorry to hear about your house - but very glad to know you and yours are safe.

All we keep hearing is about how access to gas is such a problem - in New York, in particular? or is that just because NYC is such a hub of commerce?

Northern New Jersey is having the same problem as far as gasoline is concerned. Lots of stations are without power so they're unable to pump and the others with gas were running out quickly. Getting the gas into port was/is a problem. The conoco refinery in Linden, New Jersey was damaged or so I've heard.

No to derail this thread in any way from the hurricane and it's aftermath, but about the marathon:

Yes it does make huge sense to cancel it if you should use all your resources for rebuild. I never understood why it was given the go ahead at all, that seemed insane.

But now thousands from across the world have flown to New York because he said it would go through, and it's cancelled after all. That is a very shitty movie because those tickets do not come cheap. Just from a small country like The Netherlands alone, 2000 people flew in yesterday and today.

No to derail this thread in any way from the hurricane and it's aftermath, but about the marathon:

Yes it does make huge sense to cancel it if you should use all your resources for rebuild. I never understood why it was given the go ahead at all, that seemed insane.

But now thousands from across the world have flown to New York because he said it would go through, and it's cancelled after all. That is a very shitty movie because those tickets do not come cheap. Just from a small country like The Netherlands alone, 2000 people flew in yesterday and today.

A lot of locals aren't concerned with outsiders being out some money when people are dead in the street and resources are being diverted to hold a marathon. Local hotels were actually putting people out of their rooms in order to honor reservations.

They were going to run the marathon because it's a huge annual income source for the city, and the city can use the help right now. That said, if they're behind forecast in infrastructure recovery, then it's the right move; if they don't have public transport in decent shape, the weekend could be a mess.

They were going to run the marathon because it's a huge annual income source for the city, and the city can use the help right now. That said, if they're behind forecast in infrastructure recovery, then it's the right move; if they don't have public transport in decent shape, the weekend could be a mess.

Public transport is a mess and many people don't like the idea of bottled water being distributed to runners when victims don't have clean water to drink. It will require police, emt and sanitation workers being pulled off of what they're doing now which is absurd. They are using generators the size of small homes at the staging area for the start.

Just checking to see how people are doing - hope things are as good as they can be.

I am thankfully with power and food.

My sister, her husband, two of their friends with a baby are crashed at my parents' place as Hoboken is still a bit of a mess.

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on the marathon. But I see it as a missed opportunity. They could've proceeded with the marathon and turned it into a fundraising event for dislocated families. They could've asked for phone-in or online sponsors for individual runners, or they could've asked a few mega-corporations to sponsor groups of runners or the whole event, even. Or whatever; I'm sure they could've figured out some way to make money out of it and have it go to relief efforts.

I'm sure a good deal of runners were doing it for individual charities anyway. They could've just added to that.

eta: I'm still without power and heat, but managed to see two movies in the last two days - Argo and Flight. So, yeah... time well spent. Also, we have enough food, water and hot water for bathing. And a generator when we need it, but we're really not using it very much.

I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on the marathon. But I see it as a missed opportunity. They could've proceeded with the marathon and turned it into a fundraising event for dislocated families. They could've asked for phone-in or online sponsors for individual runners, or they could've asked a few mega-corporations to sponsor groups of runners or the whole event, even. Or whatever; I'm sure they could've figured out some way to make money out of it and have it go to relief efforts.

I'm sure a good deal of runners were doing it for individual charities anyway. They could've just added to that.

eta: I'm still without power and heat, but managed to see two movies in the last two days - Argo and Flight. So, yeah... time well spent. Also, we have enough food, water and hot water for bathing. And a generator when we need it, but we're really not using it very much.

A friend of mine was running for Juvenile Diabetes. I'm not sure if it canceled or it just postponed. If that's the case then it can be turned into a massive fundraiser.

They're doing the telethon on NBC right now for huricane relief asking for donations to the red cross. Hastily put together but made up for the amount of talent and positive force emanating forth.

I tried going on redcross.org to donate $50 and I couldn't get through due to traffic on the site. I'll go back and make my donation when the telethon is over.

Archived