Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

I just don't know what to say. My heart goes out to all of those devastated by Sandy. The images and reports have been heartwrenching.

Our power was restored earlier today. We were fortunate. Loss of power, a few trees and some water in the basement. Nothing to complain about. Especially compared to so many others.

Where the dock used to be

Where the dock is now

Also a covered porch which got a couple supports knocked out, that'll have to be fixed, but other than that, no real problems. No water got in the house, which was the real worry. We're having someone check underneath just to make sure gas lines etc. are okay, but overall we were pretty lucky. The place in NY is good, too. Could've been a lot worse.

No to derail this thread in any way from the hurricane and it's aftermath, but about the marathon:

Yes it does make huge sense to cancel it if you should use all your resources for rebuild. I never understood why it was given the go ahead at all, that seemed insane.

But now thousands from across the world have flown to New York because he said it would go through, and it's cancelled after all. That is a very shitty movie because those tickets do not come cheap. Just from a small country like The Netherlands alone, 2000 people flew in yesterday and today.

How many from the Netherlands though were coming in on ING's dime? I agree with you for private individuals but the company should have given input earlier to cancel.

A lot of locals aren't concerned with outsiders being out some money when people are dead in the street and resources are being diverted to hold a marathon. Local hotels were actually putting people out of their rooms in order to honor reservations.

Most of them probably just turns it into a NY vacation anyway, I'm more concerned about the strain on hotel capacity for evacuees. If they had cancelled this earlier in the week, this wouldn't have been a problem.

Most of them probably just turns it into a NY vacation anyway, I'm more concerned about the strain on hotel capacity for evacuees. If they had cancelled this earlier in the week, this wouldn't have been a problem.

Luckily one hotel owner here on Staten Island refused to evict people who were victims of the storm in order to honor reservations for runners.

Happy to report my family in Old Bridge, East Brunswick, Livingston, Nutley and Fair Lawn all have power as of today. Most of my friends at the shore do not, though. Things are coming back online slowly but surely.

Hope the rest of your family and friends are faring well.

It feels like in the last couple of hours, a ton of people in northern NJ all got power back on line. At least, judging by my FB feed, it seems that way. Whatever... I just got power too, so I ain't complainin', no sir.

All we need now is more gasoline coming in and our particular neck of the woods should be fine.

Thanks for checking in, guys. Glad to hear power is coming back. The gasoline thing is a giant PITA -- at the donation center where I dropped off a bunch of stuff, the big discussion was how to disburse the 3 cans of gas they had: who was taking which donations where and how much they were gonna need to get there. One woman's mom was driving down from CT with full gas cans just to (literally) fuel the volunteer effort.

Bale: I know. MIL told me that their Target was open the by Wed. after the storm and had turned the cafe into a free wifi and electronics charging station so people could 1) charge cell phones and 2) use available laptops to check in with lived ones. It was a small gesture but nice nevertheless.

Bale: I know. MIL told me that their Target was open the by Wed. after the storm and had turned the cafe into a free wifi and electronics charging station so people could 1) charge cell phones and 2) use available laptops to check in with lived ones. It was a small gesture but nice nevertheless.

Almost every mall around here (northern NJ) has been doing that. Up and down the concourses, they've set up tables and chairs to plug in and hang out. There's no pressure to leave or buy anything; I know people who stayed there all day. Of course... if you're staying there all day, you're bound to at least buy some food. Maybe a sweater or two. A personalized picture frame. A combination umbrella/flashlight/espresso maker. You know... the essentials. :)

Archived