Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

Almost every mall around here (northern NJ) has been doing that. Up and down the concourses, they've set up tables and chairs to plug in and hang out. There's no pressure to leave or buy anything; I know people who stayed there all day. Of course... if you're staying there all day, you're bound to at least buy some food. Maybe a sweater or two. A personalized picture frame. A combination umbrella/flashlight/espresso maker. You know... the essentials. :)

It's strange to me to see 'buy sweaters' in conjunction with hurricane storm damage - normally we're all scrambling for tank tops and mosquito spray.

I'm glad people are getting on their feet so quickly - it is amazing how people can come together to rise above tragedy.

Not in all parts. My inlaws are still without. It's getting colder so they are splitting their time between my SIL (45 minutes away) and their church. (both of which have power) FIL has gone back to teaching (he's a math professor) but not at his usual branch of campus.

Not in all parts. My inlaws are still without. It's getting colder so they are splitting their time between my SIL (45 minutes away) and their church. (both of which have power) FIL has gone back to teaching (he's a math professor) but not at his usual branch of campus.

We've still got a good number of co-workers that have been moved out of their houses and are living with friends. Unfortunately they are also working from friends houses which gets a little touchy since some of them are working on confidential type projects.

Aaaaaand it's snowing across NYC and NJ. Not funny, Mother Nature...

My parents' town still only has power in half of it. They have friends staying with them - could be another week. Sigh.

Hope everyone is safe, warm and dry tonight. :grouphug:

Yikes. Maid, sending good thoughts and well wishes to your parents and the people staying with them.

Hope this snow doesn't severely affect people.

Yikes. Maid, sending good thoughts and well wishes to your parents and the people staying with them.

Hope this snow doesn't severely affect people.

Thanks, Sci. :grouphug:

Most of my family is OK and has power. I have some friends at the shore who lost everything, and others who suffered minimal damage. Everyone is in remarkably good spirits. As corny as it sounds, we're all really identifying with this "Jersey Strong" thing. \m/

Thanks, on their behalf, for all the well-wishes and good vibes. :)

Thanks, Sci. :grouphug:

Most of my family is OK and has power. I have some friends at the shore who lost everything, and others who suffered minimal damage. Everyone is in remarkably good spirits. As corny as it sounds, we're all really identifying with this "Jersey Strong" thing. \m/

Thanks, on their behalf, for all the well-wishes and good vibes. :)

Jersey Strong is almost as corny as Staten Island Proud. It's true though.

So get this....

My aunt lives in Western Jersey. She lives alone; her husband died last year. Her married daughter lives in Albany. She's a very sweet and unassuming person; her greatest worry is that she'll "bother" someone, so she doesn't often ask for help. Lucky for her (as you'll see) she has very kind and compassionate neighbors who help her out a lot.

Anyway, during Sandy, some branches fell on power lines in front of her next-door neighbor's house and power was lost to the block. Tree-cutting crews got out there soon enough, but while removing the branches, they yanked the power line that goes from the pole to my aunt's house. So everyone else on the block has power, but my aunt doesn't. When JCPL (the utility company) got out to repair the main line, my aunt asked them what they were going to do about the yanked line to her house. They said that since it was on her property, she was responsible for it and had to call her own electrician. My unassuming aunt didn't escalate the issue, although she did tell them that she felt it was JCPL's responsibility since it was the tree-cutters that they hired who actually caused the damage.

She calls an electrician who tells her that it will cost $2000. My aunt (widowed and unemployed for the last 8 months due to being laid off) tells them that it's too high, she can't afford it, whatever. Ultimately (after coming back the next day) they agree to do the work for $800. They do it, she pays them. But here's the problem: JCPL has to come and turn the power back on, but only after the town comes in and inspects the electrician's work. The work was done on Saturday, so the town can't come til Monday, which they do. My aunt then calls JCPL to come and turn the power back on, which should take all of 5 minutes. JCPL tells her that they will come when they can, and that she actually has to be there when they come, but they won't give her a time. She has to essentially stay indefinitely at a house will no power and no heat until JCPL decides to come out and fix it, without actually committing to calling her beforehand to give her some notice.

Fortunately, my aunt has been rotating at a one or another neighbor's house, where she can see when JCPL arrives. I live an hour away, and have offered to have my aunt come here and stay with me, but she can't because she has to be there when JCPL comes. Also fortunately, I coincidentally have a HS friend who lives down the street (and also has no power) who has been checking in on her from time to time.

So as of this morning - 11 days after the storm - my aunt still has no power, with no word from JCPL about when they're coming. I'm sure JCPL's standpoint is that their priority is to work on repairs that will affect the most number of houses first, and a single house without power is low on their list. But considering the problem was (indirectly) caused by them in the first place (and that my aunt is recently widowed, unemployed, and doesn't complain about things in general) makes the whole thing frustrating.

My cousin in Albany is fuming. She's a lawyer and has been on the phone with the town, with JCPL, with everyone who will listen. She's filed a complaint with the BPU and posted complaints on JCPL's Facebook page, the Mayor's Facebook page, etc.

Anyway... I just wanted to vent and provide another dimension to this whole Sandy affair. My aunt is insisting to stay with her neighbors and won't come to stay with me, which I can understand, but it's very frustrating for me and my cousin who are watching from afar. Luckily, I've met her neighbors and they are awesome people, so I'm not overly worried about her, but I wish JCPL would get their goddamn act together about this.

naz, thats just insane. the very least they should be able to do is tell her "it won't be for X amount of days. Please ring back then"

Ok so they can't tell her when they can get to her, but surely they can look at the jobs they know they have on their higher prioity lists, obviously these have to be done first , so while they have loads of these outstanding they know its not going to be in the next few days.

Also they should totally pay for the damage, but its only by kicking up a stink will they offer any money. I'm glad your Nan has such wonderful neighbours. maybe you could phone these guys up. and say if they could give you some kind of timeline as to when its not going to be, stress the age and infirmness of your Nan. you can provide safe warm shelter until the expected day. Say you understand this means there is no chance your Nan's place will not be fixed sooner because they have a job very local to it and where in the area. Your Nan's health is suffering because they are forcing her to stay in a house with no power and no heating..... Lay it on thick. and keep pestering them.

Archived