Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

So far, so good. I still have power, the cellar is dry and the house is intact. Wind advisory until 4pm today and then we're in the clear. My street is littered with branches but appears to be passable.

No word yet on whether or not the Cooper River crested its banks and flooded the main road by my house. I may walk over there later to take a look if the wind isn't bad.

Very thankful to be safe and dry, and that my house is in one piece. Sending much love and many prayers for everyone dealing with this mess - I hope you all continue to stay safe. :grouphug:

Hi all. I lost power around 6:30 last night. Still not on. Posting from my phone. I m in suburb of Philly. Still waiting to see what damage is around here but so far everything looks good at my house. We hav gas stove and water heater so that's a plus. I'm mostly worried about Jersey Shore near Atlantic City where Sandy made landfall.

Do we have any boarders in Bergen County NJ? There are reports of a levee breaking.

As if the storm weren't bad enough, there are also stories about a fire in southern Queens burning 50 or more homes. The FDNY had to rescue people out of burning homes in boats - apparently there were 25 people crowded into one of the houses.

Any New Yorkers who have contact with in the either of the Villages: Is Power Back Up? I haven't been able to communicate with anyone over there. I'm assuming they probably exhausted the phone battery.

Any news of the Subway System?

My relatives from the Bronx report everything is fine on their side.

The subway is fucked. Seven tunnels flooded and who knows how much damage on the above-ground lines.

Power still out to most of lower Manhattan -- that includes the East and West Village, Chelsea, SOHO, NOHO. Tribeca, LES, Chinatown, Financial District and Midtown East. ConEd reporting more than 200,000 without power just in the lower half of Manhattan.

Areas of South Bronx have power again, but the Voltage is erratic. Power is slowly being re-established around those parts. I'd advise anyone who is getting power re-established to avoid using sensible electronics for a while until the systems are stable.

Baltimore AM update: Still alive, still have power. It flickered out for 1-2 seconds a few times (and the lights flickered more than that) but that's all; fortunately my desktop was already shut down to protect it. I still have power and all is well for me. My parents are out of power unfortunately but are otherwise fine.

Oh my God my mother was just talking to her friend who lives in Bay Ridge, in the southern part of Brooklyn. A woman in her building (who we sort of know) had friends in Staten Island. She wanted the Staten Island people to come stay with her but told they couldn't smoke bc she (the apt owner) has asthma. So they decided to stay in Staten Island and their house collapsed and one of them DIED.

We were watching the news and apparently like 100 houses in Breezy Point (in Queens) were destroyed...we know people out there :eek: . There have been fires too...

The last I had heard was that there were about 50 homes destroyed - did the fire get that much larger?

Saw your other post...that is such a horrible story. Sorry for their loss.

We had winds up to 90 km during the night. I sat here last night listening to my house creak and hearing strange sounds, and thinking about drawkcabi and the maid of woodlynne.

As it happens, the wind ripped off about a 10 foot piece of aluminum flashing on the house next door, which is hanging on one end still to his roof edge and resting on the other end on the electric wires going into my house. The Hydro Electric authority is not answering the phone - the neighbourhood next to mine to the east is without power, (45,000 people without power in the city) traffic lights are out in various areas, trees are down across the city. The piece is being held up at one end by still being attached to the neighbour's house, so we are assuming our houses won't catch fire before Hydro can get here.

And we're 350 miles from NYC.

ETA: And as I said last night, some poor woman had a large Staples sign fall off a 30 ft high post and hit her and kill her. The winds were gusting pretty fiercely.

The last I had heard was that there were about 50 homes destroyed - did the fire get that much larger?

Saw your other post...that is such a horrible story. Sorry for their loss.

I just heard the 100 number on the news...but that may have been a combination of damage from fire and from flooding and winds. I'm not sure.

:( Thank you...ugh so awful.

I'm in Bergen County, NJ. The towns that are pretty much completely flooded and evacuated are Moonachie and Little Ferry. A good portion of Hackensack are flooded. These are all towns right next to the Hackensack River and have extensive low-lying areas. We live a couple of miles away and also border the river, but luckily our house is a mile from the river and uphill, so we're high and dry.

We're still without power, though. But we have a generator and plenty of fuel and supplies, so we're ok. PSE&G, the local utility, is understandably being pretty vague about when the power will come back on, but there are hundreds of downed trees and blown transformers and each will have to be fixed one-by-one. I'm fully expecting to be without power for a few days, and maybe even a week.

A couple of downed trees on our block, but only fallen branches near our house. All in all, we're pretty lucky, considering the havoc wrought in other places. The Jersey shore is severely hit, as is the Breezy Point area of Queens where the fires are. Lower Manhattan is fucked... not structurally, but without power and with flooded streets and subways. The Hoboken PATH station is flooded too, so no commuting into downtown for days, I'm thinking.

I work/study in Newark, which has some flooding, but is mostly without power. My campus is closed today; no word yet on tomorrow.

All in all, we got through undamaged - electricity is our only issue. We have gas for heating, bathing, and cooking. We have a generator and plenty of food and drinking water. All our cars are gassed up. Just have to sit tight. Others haven't been as fortunate, so my thoughts are with them.

Any news of the Subway System?

The salt water means it's probably worse than simple flooding.

The subway system is "in jeopardy," MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said Monday. "Our subway system and salt water do not mix."

Salt can eat at motors, metal fasteners and the electronic parts, some many decades old, that keep the system running. Salt water, and the deposits it leaves behind, degrades the relays that run the signal system, preventing train collisions.

Salt water also conducts electricity, which can exacerbate damage to signals if the system isn't powered down before a flood.

No problems here in western SJ, (well 1 problem ran out of dog food) well away from rivers and the shore, I heard another part of my development lost power, not even a flicker here. Hearing lots of familiar town and area names (I work across the state) and hope all is well with everyone.

I too hope everyone is still safe and sound.

As for how far-reaching this storm actually is DTE, the southeast Michigan power company, is reporting 34,000 out of power. In Detroit.

Wow. Hadn't heard that. (Just got up. :P) Our power is still on, but winds are still blowing - not as intensely as last night, though.

I'm not sure whether the weather conditions we're having are due to Sandy, though. Wasn't it just the cold front?

Archived