Sandy - Update Reports from Boarders and News Developments

Stubby

While I do realise that the well-being of people comes first, and I am very relieved that all of our US boarders made it through unscathed, has anyone in NY seen the USS Intrepid? Their website and webcams are out. Saw some pics that the tent around the Enterprise collapsed, and the shuttle possibly was damaged. I wonder what happened to their other exhibits, out in the open...

I'm an aviation geek, sorry ;)

I live a few blocks/avenues away so I might take a walk out to the Hudson and have a look later today. I'll report back if I see anything interesting.

Thank you very much. I don't care about possessions just my family and animals. We can either fix up out house or get a new one.

I'm very relieved to hear you are alright, but so sorry to hear about your home.

Thank you very much. I don't care about possessions just my family and animals. We can either fix up out house or get a new one.

We were all worried. Thank goodness you and your family and your animals are safe, so much more important than possessions. But still. Wiped out. That is so very aweful. Best wishes to you during what are going to be very trying times for you over the next few months

Philip, I'm relieved to know you and your family are safe and I hope that you recover from your losses without too much difficulty.

ETA (after some thought): You know, I wasn't going to say this, because it might be taken as inappropriate at the moment, but if it's said at a later, perhaps more appropriate time, no one will pay attention. So I'll risk censure or banning or whatever happens with the hope that people understand that I'm truly not trying to be dickish and only begging that people be aware of the following:

Please, for the sake of your life and the lives of your loved ones, when the authorities tell you to leave, please, please leave.

I'm truly sorry for whatever losses people have suffered from this storm. Truly, I am. But I really feel this needs to be said, here and now.

Not to alarm anyone, and if it happens it won't be anything like this, but there's a nontrivial chance that we may be getting another significant storm around Tuesday or Wednesday (yes, Election Day), particularly Jersey.

Well, just got back from my girlfriend's part of CT, where it seems like every road has downed trees, downed power lines, fallen trees draped over power lines, or some combination of the above. Fortunately her family invested in renting a generator, so they're not about to freeze or sweat to death like they were with some of the storms that rolled through last year.

In my own neck of the woods damage seems pretty minimal, I've heard that power here only went down for a few hours before coming back, and the wind tore up the roof of my place a bit but aside from that it seems we rode out the storm pretty well. Judging by a few emails and facebook statuses, it also seems like my relatives either got through this pretty well, or were out of harm's way entirely. (For example, an aunt of mine who had a mild stroke last year was visiting her brother in Florida.)

Cancelled my trip. Decided to fly out on Monday instead since I have to go to Paramus. Seemed a little stupid for me to be running around NYC post-disaster, especially when the folks I'm meeting with may not have power and may have lost homes.

My dad's in long island, and we haven't heard from him unfortunately. We're assuming he doesn't have power and may have evacuated... :frown5:

Cuellar, if you need any help in Paramus (getting around, etc.), let me know via PM. I live 5 minutes from there. Why Paramus, though? Is your meeting in a mall? (I say that only half-jokingly.)

I'm adding my voice to the chorus.

What a relief it is to know you and your family and pets are safe. That whole area got wiped out - we were all worried about you. I hope you guys get your power back soon. Please keep us posted. And best of luck as you sort out your living situation.

Cuellar - I hope you hear from your dad soon!

And Quoth - I know you're out there somewhere - hopefully safe and dry. Please send a raven as soon as you're able.

Archived