What if Renly hadn't died?

OberynBlackfyre

This pretty much. 100k is to much to even bother.

The irony is that if Renly had just supported Stannis, he would probably have been allowed to do more or less whatever he wanted other than sit on the throne. He would even have been heir...

The irony is that if Renly had just supported Stannis, he would probably have been allowed to do more or less whatever he wanted other than sit on the throne. He would even have been heir...

Yup, thinking about this gets me soooo angry.

Renly was a vain selfish little basterd that got what was coming to him.

Renly's death, last minute alliance with Tyrells, miracle at the Blackwater, Starks betrayed, Ironborn rejecting raiding opportunities, all these are plot gifts given to the Lannisters.

If Renly had not died he'd have taken Stannis captive though I believe he would not have killed him if it came to that. He would take King's Landing easily. I see it in character for him to then recognize the North as an independant kingdom.

Renly and Stannis probably would've used up their resources fighting each other, and the Lannisters would've swept up the leftovers. I don't see how Renly could've lived once Stannis allied himself with Melisandre, though, because Stannis is too competent a strategist to give up such a substantial tactical advantage as shadow baby assassins.

If Renly had not died he'd have taken Stannis captive though I believe he would not have killed him if it came to that. He would take King's Landing easily. I see it in character for him to then recognize the North as an independant kingdom.

Renly certainly seems determined to kill Stannis and keep the North as part of his realm. He threatens Robb, and intends to send Cat back with a "message."

Renly and Stannis probably would've used up their resources fighting each other, and the Lannisters would've swept up the leftovers. I don't see how Renly could've lived once Stannis allied himself with Melisandre, though, because Stannis is too competent a strategist to give up such a substantial tactical advantage as shadow baby assassins.

Renly could have lived by bending the knee.

See this is the thing. Renly fans would say the same but vice versa. Yet Renly has no lawful claim, other then being more popular he has no claim at all. Stannis will name him heir. Renlys a good few years younger, healthy and strong. Stannis doesnt seem to be the most fertile of men. Renly would have eventually sat on the throne. This was a great option for Renly

The other end of the deal does nothing for Stannis

And the opposite is also true: if Stannis bent his knee to Renly, he'd be the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and Lord of Storm's End, instead of a squatter at the Wall. Also, if not for Melisandre conjuring a magical assassin, it would be the best he could hope for. But both brothers' egos were too big for that.

And the opposite is also true: if Stannis bent his knee to Renly, he'd be the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and Lord of Storm's End, instead of a squatter at the Wall. Also, if not for Melisandre conjuring a magical assassin, it would be the best he could hope for. But both brothers' egos were too big for that.

:bs:

See this is the thing. Renly fans would say the same but vice versa. Yet Renly has no lawful claim, other then being more popular he has no claim at all. Stannis will name him heir. Renlys a good few years younger, healthy and strong. Stannis doesnt seem to be the most fertile of men. Renly would have eventually sat on the throne. This was a great option for Renly

The other end of the deal does nothing for Stannis

Except that Stannis has the better claim (Renly himself admits this,) and Renly would be a terrible king.

Except that Stannis has the better claim (Renly himself admits this,) and Renly would be a terrible king.

Except that they are both traitors to the crown and Renly had already declared himself king after he fled KL whike Stannis was skulking on Dragonstone.

From Renly's POV, Joffrey had the claim and they both were usurpers. And how good a king Renly would make was of secondary importance to Stannis, the crucial thing was "me! me! mine! rightful king!".

Except that they are both traitors to the crown and Renly had already declared himself king after he fled KL whike Stannis was skulking on Dragonstone.

Even so, Renly's claim is worse than Stannis, as Renly admits himself. Stannis is following the law (even if much of the realm doesn't know it,) whereas Renly is working on "might makes right."

Nope. Thats wrong. Cercei and her lannister troupe are traitors to the crown. Also whoever declares first has absolutely ZERO bearing on anything. The elder comes first every time, theres not even any debate to be had on the subject.

From Renly's POV, Joffrey had the claim and they both were usurpers. And how good a king Renly would make was of secondary importance to Stannis, the crucial thing was "me! me! mine! rightful king!".

So renly was wrong no matter what, its good you admit that. A man who has no respect for anything is not to be trusted. As for stannis saying me me me, well yea. The throne is his. He is the rightful king.

Nope. Thats wrong. Cercei and her lannister troupe are traitors to the crown. Also whoever declares first has absolutely ZERO bearing on anything. The elder comes first every time, theres not even any debate to be had on the subject.

Every time except when Robert had to choose between Stannis and Renly for Lord of the Stormlands, right?

Archived