Does anybody else hate Bran's chapters?

Pinkie Baelish

ASOS is pretty great, but Bran's chapters bore the living hell out of me. IMHO, he's the least interesting Stark to read about(besides Rickon, but he doesn't really count), and it's incredibly hard for me to feel anything for his character. It frustrates me whenever I've finished reading a great chapter, like one of Arya, Tyrion or Jaime's, and then I have to go back to Bran and his stupid dreams and those stupid Reed kids.

This is basically what happens in every Bran chapter:

Jojen: I think we should move from X to Y tomorrow

Bran: Why's that?

Jojen: Because.

Hodor: Hodor.

Meera: (launches into a boring story that dominates the rest of the chapter)

Hodor: Hodorhodorhodorhodorhodorhodorhodor.

Look, I appreciate the mythology in Westeros and the history of the continent, but Bran's chapters are so detached from the rest of the events in the book, that I can't find it in myself to care about it. The only eventful chapter of his that I can recall is the one at Queenscrown, and even then, it stops just when it starts getting good. The more I read his chapters, the more I wish Jaime had thrown him off a higher tower.

Just kidding. But yeah, I really do hate Bran's chapters. Does anybody else feel this way?

Know that feel bro...

I also think his chapters are way much boring (IMO) than the rest of the story, which is quite thrilling, and that might be a reason.

It might also relate to the fact that I'm sorry for his legs, and associate his chapters with some kind of depression I dislike while reading a story like this.

As much as I try to enjoy them, I just can't seem to connect with these chapters. I know that they are essential to the story as much as all the other POV chapters, but they just annoy me so much. I'm sure they'll pick up much later in other books but for now all I feel like I'm reading is Hodor saying "HODOR!" Jojen acting like an annoying know-it-all, and Bran wishing that he wasn't broken and that he wishes he could fly. I know it's taken from the way Bran sees things and I know a boy his age without the use of his legs would always be thinking of what life would be like without his disability, but he just seems whiny after awhile.

I have to disagree there, I thought it was pretty fascinating to read about Bran's journey to the Wall. One of my favourite chapters is when they are hiding at Queenscrow and they witness the man coming to camp nearby, and the wildlings killing him - Bran gets so close to meeting up with Jon, it's heartbreaking that they don't see each other.

Then later when they get to the Night King's castle and encounter Samwell, it's also a very interesting chapter.

Not saying Bran's my favourite POV, but his chapters are pretty good IMO

And I have a soft spot for Hodor, dunno why but I just like him

I really enjoy the Bran chapters. The Knight of the Laughing Tree story, the night spent in Queenscrown, running into Sam at the Nightfort and the Black Gate...pretty awesome stuff. Not to mention all the wolf dreams! And if you don't enjoy them... oh well.. there's only 4 in the book...

I find Bran's chapters are most interesting on reread. There is so much foreshadowing and hinting at things I missed the first time through because I rushed it. (This coming from someone who likes Bran's story in the first place)

I personally really enjoyed Bran's chapters in aSoS. I actually think it's the fact that they are so detached from the "main story" (if you can even say that what with all the different POVs and happenings) that makes them so enjoyable to me. They're a nice, cozy little sidetrack that has a satisfactory (to me) flavor of traditional epic fantasy. A fellowship headed somewhere. Supernatural abilities. Forests and towers and haunted castles. I love it. I'll eat it up like candy.

^^Ditto. And I love how Bran overlapped w/ Jon and his escape from the wildlings. And Bran's last chapter that overlaps w/ Sam was like a mini-horror/suspense movie all on its own. Such a great chapter.

Although all the nonsense about not at least telling Jon his brothers were alive just pissed me off. Hopefully zombie Cat at least discovers she's still got 4 kids alive in AFFC.

In my most humble opinion, Martin has a massive backstory to tell in order to make everything else work later. He does most of this through the Bran chapters. Meera is giving away so much of what is likely to happen through her stories imo. I enjoy those chapters. The only thing I don't like about the Bran chapters is the same thing I don't like about starting any new chapter in these books: the charm of the previous chapter is so entirely smashed by the sudden change into a different pov, that actually takes an effort to not let the flow of the entire story be broken. Its like your 3/4 of the way through a juicy hamburger and just before you take that last delicious bite, someone grabs the burger from your hands and replaces it with a milkshake. Ya, milkshakes are great to but dammit lemme savor finishing that burger first.

Hey guys, I'm new to this Forum and fairly new to A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. I have to admit, I am one of those now ASoIaF fans after jumping on the GoT band wagon, so apologies for that haha

In terms of the topic, yeah I agree. I do find Bran's (sometimes along with Dany's) chapters a bit of a chore. I think because Bran is a little bit of a passive character as he can't walk. He's always got have someone else they're with him and because he's the youngest he can get a little bit annoying. That's just me though

I didn't feel the same way about Bran's chapters. However, I do feel each of the first three books had POVs that kind of distracted from the rest of the story, and kind of was disliked by the readers.I think in AGoT, people really disliked Sansa's chapters. In ACoK, it was Daenerys' chapters there were a point of contention. And, of course, in ASoS, Bran's as you stated.

With that said, you can't have every single chapter be an exhilarating, blood-pumping, mind racing chapter. You have to give a chance of people to have a breather.

I didn't feel the same way about Bran's chapters. However, I do feel each of the first three books had POVs that kind of distracted from the rest of the story, and kind of was disliked by the readers.I think in AGoT, people really disliked Sansa's chapters. In ACoK, it was Daenerys' chapters there were a point of contention. And, of course, in ASoS, Bran's as you stated.

With that said, you can't have every single chapter be an exhilarating, blood-pumping, mind racing chapter. You have to give a chance of people to have a breather.

Interesting. I find reading the first sentence of every paragraph in boring chapters gives me the jist of whats going on and the chance to go back and read more thoroughly when things get interesting.

Archived