This Small Question Thing

Angalin

Does Varys really have the tongues of his little birds cut out or is that a popular misconception? I know there's a brief exchange in the books where he hints at this but it doesn't make much sense. Has it been confirmed by GRRM?

It hasn't been confirmed by GRRM, but not of the little birds Kevan comes upon in the Epilogue speak. Plus, the birds were to know how to read ledgers, letters and charts, and probably communicate via writing.

How many members went into Danys cock basket? When she took Mereen and ordered every rapist to be castrated and fill a basket (this was one of those OMFG moments); how many men could have went into that exactly? I can't quite remember but didn't two unsullied havecarry it; or was that the one for the thieves hands?

I'm confused about the whole issue of where Robert Arryn was supposed to be fostered, and who thought what and why.

After my first reading of the whole series, I believed that Robert Arryn was supposed to be fostered at Dragonstone with Stannis, and everyone knew that, and Lysa had just lied to Catelyn and said that he was supposed to be fostered at Casterly Rock with Tywin (not sure why she lied, I guess to make her other lies more believable/cause more strife between Stark and Lannister, whatever) but then I was re-reading AGOT, and when Robert (Baratheon) and Ned are in the crypts right in the beginning, Robert tells Ned that Robert Arryn is supposed to go to Casterly Rock with the Lannisters. At that point I think Ned even suggests Stannis, but Robert is set on sending the kid to Tywin. Why did he think that also? Why does it seem like Robert B. and Lysa are both saying Casterly Rock but everyone else says Dragonstone?

I hope the way I phrased this whole thing makes sense.

I'm confused about the whole issue of where Robert Arryn was supposed to be fostered, and who thought what and why.

After my first reading of the whole series, I believed that Robert Arryn was supposed to be fostered at Dragonstone with Stannis, and everyone knew that, and Lysa had just lied to Catelyn and said that he was supposed to be fostered at Casterly Rock with Tywin (not sure why she lied, I guess to make her other lies more believable/cause more strife between Stark and Lannister, whatever) but then I was re-reading AGOT, and when Robert (Baratheon) and Ned are in the crypts right in the beginning, Robert tells Ned that Robert Arryn is supposed to go to Casterly Rock with the Lannisters. At that point I think Ned even suggests Stannis, but Robert is set on sending the kid to Tywin. Why did he think that also? Why does it seem like Robert B. and Lysa are both saying Casterly Rock but everyone else says Dragonstone?

IMO, Jon and Stannis arranged for sweet Robin to be fostered at Dragonstone, and it this helped Littlefinger convince Lysa to kill Jon Arryn.

But Cersei also arranged to sweet Robin to be fostered on the Rock, because she knew that Jon was snooping around the looks of Roberts bastards so she wanted a hostage.

In Jon's first chapter in ACOK there is a scene where the Raven says "King." Then it says something like Mormont stroked the Raven but "he" never took his eyes off Jon. Is "he" Mormont or the Raven? In my book GRRM refers to the Raven as "it" and Mormont as "he". But it has been suggested to me that we are supposed to understand that it is the Raven staring at Jon.

Fostering Sweetrobin at Dragonstone creates an automatic alliance between Stannis and the Vale. To that alliance you can almost certainly add Riverrun, and quite possibly Winterfell + the north. This alliance would prevent the Lannisters from moving against Stannis. However, with Sweetrobin at Casterly Rock, Stannis is isolated and vulnerable. In this case, Sweetrobin is a hostage, as Rune Targaryen mentions.

Securing the right to foster SR is a political masterstroke, when you think about it. Without it House Lannister very possibly falls to the aforementioned alliance. With it, this potentially dangerous alliance is dissipated.

Others sightings:

- Long Night (8000 yrs ago)

- Night's King (>7500 yrs ago)

- GoT (last few years)

Any other sightings?

Not really a small question. Many theories, and question about multiable aspects. Many questions about the timeline, and how true it is. You should try to search for Others, the Long Night, and Night Kings theads.

I've got a question that's bugged me through reading the books (but I've only just finished so avoided these forums like the plague).

How do they measure years? For us it would have been the changing of the seasons, but in this world the seasons last many 'years'. So how do you measure a year in Westeros?

Archived