This Small Question Thing

Angalin

I've got a question that's bugged me through reading the books (but I've only just finished so avoided these forums like the plague).

How do they measure years? For us it would have been the changing of the seasons, but in this world the seasons last many 'years'. So how do you measure a year in Westeros?

We don't really measure a year by the changing of the seasons. Some places don't have a typical four season cycle. We use astronomy to measure time - solar and lunar cycles, positioning of stars, etc.

Here is what GRRM has to say about it.

"What is the cycle of a year? Why do they count years when seasons are strange?

Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth. Even on our earth, years have nothing to do with the seasons, or with the cycles of the moon. A year is a measure of a solar cycle, of how long it takes the earth to make one complete revolution around the sun. The same is true for the world of Westeros. Seasons do not come into it."

Thanks. My other question regards technological advances.

What has stopped it? For thousands of years there have been no real advancement?

I wondered if it was because of the wildfire instead of discovering gun powder.

There has been some discussion about whether thechnological advancement has actually lagged or whether that's just the Old Nan Fallacy striking. Regardless on which side of the debate you'll come down, this thread has some interesting posts about it.

In ACOK in Jon's chašter when he wargs Ghost in Frostfangs he sees face on weirwood with three eyes face of his brother. Jon/Ghost asked had his brother three eyes from beginning. Later he told to Halfhand that he saw his brother's face on tree. Which brother he refered to, Bran or Summer?

In ACOK in Jon's chašter when he wargs Ghost in Frostfangs he sees face on weirwood with three eyes face of his brother. Jon/Ghost asked had his brother three eyes from beginning. Later he told to Halfhand that he saw his brother's face on tree. Which brother he refered to, Bran or Summer?

I don't remember the scene, but by the way you describe it, I think he almost surely refers to Bran.

ETA: I just read the summary of the chapter in the wiki:

"Seeing through the eyes of Ghost, he finds himself in a forest and senses a voice calling his name from a nearby weirwood, one that resembled his brother except it had three eyes. His brother explains to him how to open his eyes, and the tree reaches down and touches him, and he finds himself back in the mountains."

So, it's Bran.

What region of the Seven Kingdoms would Dragonstone be considered part of? For the longest time I considered Dragonstone its own region, but the wiki categorizes it as part of the Crownlands.

I'd say it's a part of the Crownlands as it was normally a seat reserved for the crown prince of the heir to the throne.

I don't remember the scene, but by the way you describe it, I think he almost surely refers to Bran.

ETA: I just read the summary of the chapter in the wiki:

"Seeing through the eyes of Ghost, he finds himself in a forest and senses a voice calling his name from a nearby weirwood, one that resembled his brother except it had three eyes. His brother explains to him how to open his eyes, and the tree reaches down and touches him, and he finds himself back in the mountains."

So, it's Bran.

yeah, I see it now but i was confused cause paragraph seemed writen in Ghost's perspective (he thought about other direwolves- the brothers...) tnx anyway

What region of the Seven Kingdoms would Dragonstone be considered part of? For the longest time I considered Dragonstone its own region, but the wiki categorizes it as part of the Crownlands.

It's considered Crownlands because it was the seat of Aegon before he became King and made King's Landing. And also it's close geographically.

I'm not entirely sure if House Baratheon of Dragonstone was part of the Crownlands or if it was made it's own separate area.

I do know that the wiki generally uses the most current info from the books. As of ADWD, Dragonstone is definitely in the Crown's holding as Loras broke the siege and raised the royal banner.

@my name is Reek, we don't know. There are threads about the size of Armies of Westeros, which some think they have worked out how many people they think there should be based off amount of people per squire mile each region has, but no hard proof.

There is some hope the world book will have some of that type info.

@my name is Reek, we don't know. There are threads about the size of Armies of Westeros, which some think they have worked out how many people they think there should be based off amount of people per squire mile each region has, but no hard proof.

There is some hope the world book will have some of that type info.

Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case because I couldn't find anything definitive. New question, what is the world book and when is it being released?

Another question. Ramsay Snow knows that Bran and Rickon are alive somewhere, and mostly through that, even Roose Bolton knows this fact. Both of them would surely know Winterfell and The North isn't fully secured to be theirs until all the Stark heirs are put to sword. Has there been any indication in the books that the Boltons are actively pursuing Bran and Rickon, hoping to find him somewhere in the North?

Also, since the Bastard Boys were really spying on Ramsay for Roose Bolton, did Bolton know of every move that Ramsay was making, right from the Lady Hornwood horror story, to his plan for the Winterfell sack and everything?

Archived