This Small Question Thing

Angalin

Another question. Ramsay Snow knows that Bran and Rickon are alive somewhere, and mostly through that, even Roose Bolton knows this fact. Both of them would surely know Winterfell and The North isn't fully secured to be theirs until all the Stark heirs are put to sword. Has there been any indication in the books that the Boltons are actively pursuing Bran and Rickon, hoping to find him somewhere in the North?

No indication I believe, but of course they could only launch very covert operations as the rumour of the Stark's survival alone could be extremely damaging to them. So it would be hard for our eyes in the North to get wind of it.

Ramsay I believe acts careless about them, with some words like "Pfft, if they show up, I'll just kill them again", indicating that he didn't and wouldn't make arrangements for such an operation.

Roose is a bit more difficult to read though I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the risk of word getting out to be greater than the potential for success (pretty slim for such a dl search party). That's just speculating though.

Okay so how many inhabitants are there in Westeros? In the show they mention a million/or millions can't recall exactly which it was. Is this right because it seems to me that it would be significantly less than that judging there army sizes and stuff.

is a video on that subject with a few estimates, though nothing definitive. Armies in Westeros are if anything are bigger than Medieval Europe, which had tens of millions of people.

Its definite that Cersei paid Ser Mandon to kill Tyrion during the Battle on the Blackwater right? I don't remember coming across any particular confirmation in the book. Just Tyrion's musings.

Its quite possible that Littlefinger tried to have Tyrion killed, as Tyrion betrayed him when he said he was giving him Harrenhal. Ser Mandon Moore is from the Vale as is Littlefinger and both of them were brought to court by Jon Arryn. It is also Littlefinger's idea for there to be dwarf jousters to create tension between Joffrey and Tyrion at the wedding.

Other speculation is that Joffrey put the order in, as how would have had a reason to do so. IIRC Cercei never once mention or thinks in any of her POVs about ordering Tyrion's death at the battle of Blackwater.

I'm re-reading ACOK, and came across something that confused me...

In a conversation between Tyrion and Varys (the chapter where he's arranging various marriages/alliances with Pycelle, LF, and Varys) and they're discussing an alliance with Dorne, they say:

"My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a ...certain name...when they came for her"

"Is a secret still a secret if everyone knows it?"...

..."This secret is your lord father's sworn man"

They basically say that the name is Gregor, and everyone knows he raped and killed Elia. What I don't understand is, who is the "they" that came for her? She was dead when Gregor finished...and wouldn't have known he was coming beforehand to scream his name. Or, did she scream a different name when Gregor (and maybe a few others?) came to her room? If so, what was the name?

I think I'm missing something here. Can someone clarify for me?

I'm re-reading ACOK, and came across something that confused me...

In a conversation between Tyrion and Varys (the chapter where he's arranging various marriages/alliances with Pycelle, LF, and Varys) and they're discussing an alliance with Dorne, they say:

"My little birds tell me that Princess Elia cried a ...certain name...when they came for her"

"Is a secret still a secret if everyone knows it?"...

..."This secret is your lord father's sworn man"

They basically say that the name is Gregor, and everyone knows he raped and killed Elia. What I don't understand is, who is the "they" that came for her? She was dead when Gregor finished...and wouldn't have known he was coming beforehand to scream his name. Or, did she scream a different name when Gregor (and maybe a few others?) came to her room? If so, what was the name?

I think I'm missing something here. Can someone clarify for me?

To me that reads like Varys is telling Tyrion that the identity of Elia's murderer is known. And 'they' would just be Tywin's men.

He turned back to the weirwood and studied the carved face a moment. It is not the face we saw, he admitted to himself. The tree’s not half as big as the one at Whitetree. The red eyes wept blood, and he didn’t remember that either. Clumsily, Sam sank to his knees. “Old gods, hear my prayer. The Seven were my father’s gods but I said my words to you when I joined the Watch. Help us now. I fear we might be lost. We’re hungry too, and so cold. I don’t know what gods I believe in now, but… please, if you’re there, help us. Gilly has a little son.” That was all that he could think to say. The dusk was deepening, the leaves of the weirwood rustling softly, waving like a thousand blood-red hands. Whether Jon’s gods had heard him or not he could not say.

On a re-read i kind of realized that Bloodraven must of seen Sam when he was praying and then sent Coldhands?

Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case because I couldn't find anything definitive. New question, what is the world book and when is it being released?

There is a whole forum about it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/21-the-world-of-ice-and-fire/

Small question: Do you think Lady Dustin knows "Arya" is not Arya? I think so because she was pretty quick to reveal herself to Theon who seems a less likely champion than Lady Dustin. What is she going to do about it?

IIRC we are never told that she knows. The way she says things, IMO means she does, but thats more of a gut feeling.

Does Robert killing Rhaegar count as kinslaying as they are second cousins? How far back to does one have to go back for it to be deemed as not kinslaying, Rickard Karstark thought he and Robb were of kin. Alternatively is there no curse and its just some fishwives tale to stop family members from killing each other?

Does Robert killing Rhaegar count as kinslaying as they are second cousins? How far back to does one have to go back for it to be deemed as not kinslaying, Rickard Karstark thought he and Robb were of kin. Alternatively is there no curse and its just some fishwives tale to stop family members from killing each other?

I think that's the case. There's no real set definition for kinslaying. Rickard considered Robb a kinslayer, yet I'm sure many others thought it was far from kinslaying. The way I see it, someone's detractor will always use the "kinslayer" title whenever possible, whilst supporters won't ever bring it up.

Has it ever been mentioned anywhere about the sex of Dany's dragons and about topics like dragon breeding etc, because i'm curious about if Dany survives ASOIAF, does she have the means to ensure dragons live on?

I recall Aemon (?) saying that dragons are gender-neutral, so I suppose there's a future for the dragons. I will try to find the source when I get home (if I don't forget about it).

Archived