This Small Question Thing

Angalin

Varys knows of one other and there ought to be 8 more from maegi's predictions. Which IMHO is a way to give GRRM some extra people if he needs them

Actually I think Varys probably knows for most, if not all of them.

I do not think any more will appear in the series, the story needs conclusion, not adding any new characters at this point. But it is not impossible.

Also, there was a theory that Satin is Robert's son too.

Actually I think Varys probably knows for most, if not all of them.

I do not think any more will appear in the series, the story needs conclusion, not adding any new characters at this point. But it is not impossible.

Also, there was a theory that Satin is Robert's son too.

Varys doesnt lie. So if he says he knows of 8 I am pretty sure he knows of 8. He has no way of knowing of the other 8. Speculation without evidence isnt a theory.

Varys doesnt lie. So if he says he knows of 8 I am pretty sure he knows of 8. He has no way of knowing of the other 8. Speculation without evidence isnt a theory.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that he says that ... when does he say it? When talking to Eddard in the black cells?

Why people keep saying that Jaime Lannister could've held titles in a Game of Thrones?

He can be Warden of the East

He can be Hand of the King

What is up with that? Isn't he a member of the Kingsguard?

The Kingsguard are not forbidden from holding titles. The members of the Night's Watch are, but not the members of the Kingsguard. There is nothing wrong with Jaime being appointed Hand or Warden.

That said, I do think it's a bit odd that Ned says Jaime will inherit the Warden of the West title from Tywin. This has always struck me as a continuity error.

Is there a (relatively) precise mention of Tyrion's age, either in the books or in SSM?

I read about the Tysha is the Sailor's Wife and Lanna is Tyrion's daughter theory, and I guess if Lanna's age fits with Tyrion's when he was with Tysha...

Tyrion was born in 274 AL, putting him at about 23-24 years old at the time of the first novel (which I believe ends in 298 AL).

I'm intrigued by this...would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail?

I think the point is that while Kingsguard members can be elevated to honoraries like that, they're technically still cut from their own line of succession (see: Barristan Selmy having to bow out of inheriting Harvest Hall). So while Jaime could still, in theory, be elevated to Warden of the West (which is a military honorific and not necessarily tied to any one family or property except through custom; the titles may be inherited but they don't have to be), he would be unable to inherit it through his father.

The Kingsguard are the commanders of the Kings Armies. The inheriting the title of Warden of the West is just another name for the commander of the army in the west. It is the Wardens who call the banners.

We know what the Warden titles entail. The main issue is the idea that Jaime would inherit such a title from his father, when he is barred from inheriting anything else.

He is inheriting a title in which gives him command of the western army.So it is not as if he is inheriting Casterly Rock and the title of Lord. Yes, they are both titles but that doesn't mean the distinction between them is the same.

Right, I get that the title is not the same as being a lord or what not. You don't have to keep repeating that. The point is that it makes no sense for Jaime to inherit anything from his father, especially not a title that is supposed to pass to the heir to House Lannister when Tywin dies. Jaime is no longer that heir, so why should he inherit the title? It doesn't make any sense, and is probably a continuity error. It's ok admit that George makes mistakes. In fact, it's amazing that he doesn't make more of them.

I think the point is that while Kingsguard members can be elevated to honoraries like that, they're technically still cut from their own line of succession (see: Barristan Selmy having to bow out of inheriting Harvest Hall). So while Jaime could still, in theory, be elevated to Warden of the West (which is a military honorific and not necessarily tied to any one family or property except through custom; the titles may be inherited but they don't have to be), he would be unable to inherit it through his father.

We know what the Warden titles entail. The main issue is the idea that Jaime would inherit such a title from his father, when he is barred from inheriting anything else.

Thanks.

Right, I understand that Jaime cannot inherit Casterly Rock, but it seems to me that there is a subtle difference in succeeding to the title of Warden of the West. With Robert Arryn, for example, it seems that even though he should succeed to the Warden of the East (as the Arryns have always held it), King Bob has no problem with naming Jaime in his place. Seems to be more of a custom in passing the title down rather an inheritance..?

:agree: as that is the point I was about to make. Also the title is an honor in all times but war and then it actually means something. Didnt King Robert say something about given him the title if he grows up and proves him self or something?????

Thanks.

Right, I understand that Jaime cannot inherit Casterly Rock, but it seems to me that there is a subtle difference in succeeding to the title of Warden of the West. With Robert Arryn, for example, it seems that even though he should succeed to the Warden of the East (as the Arryns have always held it), King Bob has no problem with naming Jaime in his place. Seems to be more of a custom in passing the title down rather an inheritance..?

The way Ned describes it, it comes across as an automatic thing. In other words, the head of the house that usually holds the title automatically succeeds to it, unless the king intervenes and gives it to someone else.

If Ned said that Robert would one day give the Warden of the West title to Jaime, I wouldn't have an issue with any of this. It's his statement that Jaime will one day succeed to that honor that raises eyebrows.

The way Ned describes it, it comes across as an automatic thing. In other words, the head of the house that usually holds the title automatically succeeds to it, unless the king intervenes and gives it to someone else.

If Ned said that Robert would one day give the Warden of the West title to Jaime, I wouldn't have an issue with any of this. It's his statement that Jaime will one day succeed to that honor that raises eyebrows.

Who knows then. Maybe the realm along with Tywin and Ned are in denial about Jamie an his inheritance.

:agree: as that is the point I was about to make. Also the title is an honor in all times but war and then it actually means something. Didnt King Robert say something about given him the title if he grows up and proves him self or something?????

Yes, he does and then Tywin restores the title to House Arryn in aSoS.

The way Ned describes it, it comes across as an automatic thing. In other words, the head of the house that usually holds the title automatically succeeds to it, unless the king intervenes and gives it to someone else. If Ned said that Robert would one day give the Warden of the West title to Jaime, I wouldn't have an issue with any of this. It's his statement that Jaime will one day succeed to that honor that raises eyebrows.

Maybe it's just because there aren't a lot of other suitable candidates for the title, so it's a foregone conclusion that Jaime would succeed to it?

Archived