This Small Question Thing

Angalin

Quick question do Bran and Rickon know what happened to Robb?

Bran knows, this is from his chapter 56 in ASOS.

No, thought Bran, it is the Nightfort, and this is the end of the world. In the mountains, all he could think of was reaching the Wall and finding the three-eyed crow, but now that they were here he was filled with fears. The dream he’d had  … the dream Summer had had … No, I mustn’t think about that dream. He had not even told the Reeds, though Meera at least seemed to sense that something was wrong. If he never talked of it maybe he could forget he ever dreamed it, and then it wouldn’t have happened and Robb and Grey Wind would still be.

Anyone know when Ned got Ice? I assume he didn't have it in Roberts Rebellion because his father would have brought it to Kings Landing?

Why would his father bring it down to KL? He didn't know he was going to need it, and it used for mostly ceremonial purposes, such as beheading. Ice was in Winterfell when Rickard and Brandon died.

Anyone have an idea why Sam's dad didnt just send him to the citadel instead of the Nights Watch? If he swore his vows and became a maester he would still be giving up any family claim and name so he wouldnt get in the way of Dickon. Was he just being a dick and chose the harder path for Sam?

Anyone have an idea why Sam's dad didnt just send him to the citadel instead of the Nights Watch? If he swore his vows and became a maester he would still be giving up any family claim and name so he wouldnt get in the way of Dickon. Was he just being a dick and chose the harder path for Sam?

He thought that being a maester was "beneath" the Tarly family, because maesters are basically servants.

I'm intrigued by this...would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail?

I am not going to look up the SSM, but GRRM has stated that he wrote 5 or so chapters, and then stop and came up with the back story of Westeros. It is likely that this is just a continuity error from one of the early stories, that either could not be fixed( meaning other things in it had to stay inplace, [such as "promise me Ned"] without changing the entire chapter) or it was missed in the editing of aGoT.

I also assume during this time Bolton is communicating with Ramsay, who's back at the Dreadfort rallying troops to sack Winterfell, unbeknownst to Theon. Clearly the wheels are turning in Roose's mind, but has he brought the Freys in yet? Any thoughts?

On rereading the chapter, the Boltons and Freys both seem to have already turned on Robb, before they knew of Robb wedding Jayne. Yes he is in talks with the Freys, and yes he seems to be in contact with Tywin.

Quick question do Bran and Rickon know what happened to Robb?

Good Question, but we just don't know the answer to it. Yes Bran seems to know, at least in his wolf dreams that Rob and GW are dead, but he is never told by anyone that we have seen in the books. It is likely that Rickon also knows thru wolf dreams.

I am not going to look up the SSM, but GRRM has stated that he wrote 5 or so chapters, and then stop and came up with the back story of Westeros. It is likely that this is just a continuity error from one of the early stories, that either could not be fixed( meaning other things in it had to stay inplace, [such as "promise me Ned"] without changing the entire chapter) or it was missed in the editing of aGoT.

Dragonfish and you both hold out the possibility that it might just be a continuity error. That may be true, and I'm amazed that we haven't found a multitude of them, considering how carefully these books are scrutinized!

GRRM has stated there are many in the books. I forget where but, at the end of one book someone is riding on a horse, at the begining next book they are still on that horse, but the horse has change both color and sex.

lol...yes, the horse and Renly's eye colour. One of my favourite books of all-time is chock full of mistakes and continuity errors, and I found those just by myself. Thousands are combing through these complicated storylines and finding a few mistakes here and there. It's amazing to me. :)

Why would his father bring it down to KL? He didn't know he was going to need it, and it used for mostly ceremonial purposes, such as beheading. Ice was in Winterfell when Rickard and Brandon died.

shrug. I figured even in times of peace you don't make the long trip down the King's road without a sword. He brought and donned his armor, according to Jamie, why not his sword?

shrug. I figured even in times of peace you don't make the long trip down the King's road without a sword. He brought and donned his armor, according to Jamie, why not his sword?

Any castle-forged steel sword will do

I suppose. Is it suggested in the text somewhere (or by Martin) that he left it behind or are you just speculating?

No, there's nothing like that in the books. Personally I imagine he did have it with him. He knew Aerys was accusing Brandon of treason. He demanded trial by combat and he had brought his armor with him so why wouldn't he bring the valyrian steel sword his family possesses as well? Ned isn't Lord Tarly carrying his great sword everywhere even to the toilet but even he brought Ice south with him.

People may not like the idea of these guys running around using huge two handed greatswords in combat but Martin did write them that way. Lord Tarly uses Heartsbane in combat and I don't see the Starks keeping a sword around just to look pretty either.

No, there's nothing like that in the books. Personally I imagine he did have it with him. He knew Aerys was accusing Brandon of treason. He demanded trial by combat and he had brought his armor with him so why wouldn't he bring the valyrian steel sword his family possesses as well? Ned isn't Lord Tarly carrying his great sword everywhere even to the toilet but even he brought Ice south with him.

People may not like the idea of these guys running around using huge two handed greatswords in combat but Martin did write them that way. Lord Tarly uses Heartsbane in combat and I don't see the Starks keeping a sword around just to look pretty either.

IIRC it is never stated in the books either way, however to bring your families fame blade to meet the king, and get him to release your son, wouldn't be a good idea, and would only ask for trouble. Richard had his guards, and likely left Ice at WF with Benjen. On the other side, if Richard had brought Ice, I would think that there would have been some mention in the stories about Ned getting it back after the fall of the Mad King.

IIRC it is never stated in the books either way, however to bring your families fame blade to meet the king, and get him to release your son, wouldn't be a good idea, and would only ask for trouble. Richard had his guards, and likely left Ice at WF with Benjen. On the other side, if Richard had brought Ice, I would think that there would have been some mention in the stories about Ned getting it back after the fall of the Mad King.

Rickard did more than just bring guards, he brought two hundred of his best men.

Their grandfather, old Lord Rickard, had gone as well, with his son Brandon who was Father’s brother, and two hundred of his best men.

He brings his best men and his armor but leaves his sword? I doubt it but like you say it's not stated either way and it's unlikely it will be unless Martin is asked sometime.

Rickard did more than just bring guards, he brought two hundred of his best men.

Their grandfather, old Lord Rickard, had gone as well, with his son Brandon who was Father’s brother, and two hundred of his best men.

He brings his best men and his armor but leaves his sword? I doubt it but like you say it's not stated either way and it's unlikely it will be unless Martin is asked sometime.

Ice may not of been at his hip, but it was with him. Like how Ned had to ask Jory for Ice when he had to kill Lady on his way to KL to be the hand.

When he went to meet Aerys? IDK If I could see that. Leaving with his men when he went to meet Aerys. ok I could see that. Then his men returned it to WF, if MK did not have them put down.

I doubt he'd take his two handed greatsword to a battle, it wouldn't be something he would wield in battle, unless he was the size of Hound or bigger. It wasn't going to be something that was worth carrying around a huge sword, so I doubt he'd of took it, probably left the ancestral sword back at Winterfell because he knew that he might lose his life I think..

I doubt he'd take his two handed greatsword to a battle, it wouldn't be something he would wield in battle, unless he was the size of Hound or bigger. It wasn't going to be something that was worth carrying around a huge sword, so I doubt he'd of took it, probably left the ancestral sword back at Winterfell because he knew that he might lose his life I think..

Randyll Tarly is never described as a big man, lean is what is used yet it's said more than once he uses Heartsbane, a two handed greatsword just like Ice, in battle. This is not real life. Martin uses a lot of stuff because he thinks, in his words, it looks cool.

Archived