This Small Question Thing

Angalin

I doubt he'd take his two handed greatsword to a battle, it wouldn't be something he would wield in battle, unless he was the size of Hound or bigger. It wasn't going to be something that was worth carrying around a huge sword, so I doubt he'd of took it, probably left the ancestral sword back at Winterfell because he knew that he might lose his life I think..

Ice is not common steel, so it is not as heavy. It would not be hard for him (or Ned) to use it in battle, It would give him a vantage because the (unexperienced) enemy would not expect him to be quick with a sword that big.

Randyll Tarly is never described as a big man, lean is what is used yet it's said more than once he uses Heartsbane, a two handed greatsword just like Ice, in battle. This is not real life. Martin uses a lot of stuff because he thinks, in his words, it looks cool.

The fact that Tarly carry and use his sword to "every day" business is something that is noted by a lot of characters.

So, IMO, if Ned would do the same some other character would make a remark to it. The two occasions that I remember Ned using it someone else was carrying it. (Theon was carrying to the beheading and Jory had to fetch it to kill Lady, the poor thing.)

Ice is a very characteristic sword, if Rickard uses it to battle, he definitely took it to KL and Ned get it back later, but even if he doesn't fight with it, he probably took because it was a sign of status.

I don't think that Ned taking it back after the sack of KL would be a important enough fact to be mentioned on the books.

I doubt he'd take his two handed greatsword to a battle, it wouldn't be something he would wield in battle, unless he was the size of Hound or bigger. It wasn't going to be something that was worth carrying around a huge sword, so I doubt he'd of took it, probably left the ancestral sword back at Winterfell because he knew that he might lose his life I think..

In real life two handed great swords were used by mounted knights (in armor) to rain down death and dismemberment on those who were near enough and on foot. GRRM says that Ice is made of Valyrian Steel which is lighter and stronger than common steel, thus it is easier to wield and use in battle.

These swords are not for show, they use them and use them regularly. LIke I have previously said, the sword may not of been at his hip at the time he saw Aery's.As some kings do not allow weapons but that of their KG in their presence. But for his steward to be holding onto it or someone in the party of the 200 men he brought to KL is a reasonable assumption. People didn't have a sword like Ice and put it up on the shelf to collect dust. They traveled, battled and dispensed the Kings justice with it if need be

No, there's nothing like that in the books. Personally I imagine he did have it with him. He knew Aerys was accusing Brandon of treason. He demanded trial by combat and he had brought his armor with him so why wouldn't he bring the valyrian steel sword his family possesses as well? Ned isn't Lord Tarly carrying his great sword everywhere even to the toilet but even he brought Ice south with him.

People may not like the idea of these guys running around using huge two handed greatswords in combat but Martin did write them that way. Lord Tarly uses Heartsbane in combat and I don't see the Starks keeping a sword around just to look pretty either.

There's no reason Ned wouldnt have gotten Ice back if Rickard had taken it to KL. Even when thoroughly defeated people will get their Valyrian or family swords back. Example: Dawn. Barristan returning the sword of Maelys the Monstrous. Ned did not take Longclaw. Ned used Ice regularly and Rickard probably did too.

He thought that being a maester was "beneath" the Tarly family, because maesters are basically servants.

In fact this is why Sam had such a panic attack at the idea of being sent to Oldtown - clearly he had already come up with this idea himself and been shut down pretty forcefully.

In GoT, Robb's direwolf Grey Wind attacks Tyrion and even Robb is not sure why it acted that way as it hadn't before. Is this ever explained in the books why it chose to attack Tyrion, maybe sensed something?

Ghost did the same thing. They're feeding off Jon and Robb's emotions. They just don't realize the connection they have with their wolves.

Hi everybody, kinda "crackpot" here, about Dunk and Egg Mystery Knight, I've read about Bloodraven having been disguised/glamoured as Maynard Plumm but would it be possible, what with his First Men blood, that he could have warged Maynard and/or others to create a spy network?

Ghost did the same thing. They're feeding off Jon and Robb's emotions. They just don't realize the connection they have with their wolves.

This is true.The more theoretical explanation is the the direwolves can sense a danger to House Stark.

Maybe they think he has Targ blood?

[spoiler ALERT ETC.]

i got a question that touches the series as well as books. in 1st episode of game of thrones, there's a scene in the great sept of baelor where jaime comforts cersei, sayin she worries too much etc., then again there's that talk eddard and cersei have after eddard finds out truth about the heirs. so whole time it's been implyed that it was cersei and jaime who killed jon arryn. yet at the end of the book 3 we find out that in fact it was lysa on the behest of littlefinger. so i was wondering, did cersei and jaime really have anything with jon arryn's death?

This is true.The more theoretical explanation is the the direwolves can sense a danger to House Stark.

Maybe they think he has Targ blood?

If the direwolves had some sort of supernatural ability to sense danger Grey Wind would have been feeding on Bolton's guts the second he caught scent of him. They're animals.

If the direwolves had some sort of supernatural ability to sense danger Grey Wind would have been feeding on Bolton's guts the second he caught scent of him. They're animals.

Grey Wind does go bananas in the presence of the Westerlings,and more so when approaching the Twins/Freys.

Ghost goes bananas on the day Jon receives the Pink Letter.

Sadly,both Robb and Jon ignored the warnings.

The direwolves are more than "just animals"Bran was warned by Summer,when he wet on his ill-fated,climbing expedition.

Grey Wind does go bananas in the presence of the Westerlings,and more so when approaching the Twins/Freys.

Ghost goes bananas on the day Jon receives the Pink Letter.

Sadly,both Robb and Jon ignored the warnings.

The direwolves are more than "just animals"Bran was warned by Summer,when he wet on his ill-fated,climbing expedition.

I would personally chalk up the others to the wolves smelling the nervousness of men plotting betrayal but good point on Summer.

[spoiler ALERT ETC.]

i got a question that touches the series as well as books. in 1st episode of game of thrones, there's a scene in the great sept of baelor where jaime comforts cersei, sayin she worries too much etc., then again there's that talk eddard and cersei have after eddard finds out truth about the heirs. so whole time it's been implyed that it was cersei and jaime who killed jon arryn. yet at the end of the book 3 we find out that in fact it was lysa on the behest of littlefinger. so i was wondering, did cersei and jaime really have anything with jon arryn's death?

Cersei did wordlessly urge Pycelle to hurry Jon Arryn along to his death while he was lying sick. But she was not involved in poisoning him in the first place.

Cersei did wordlessly urge Pycelle to hurry Jon Arryn along to his death while he was lying sick. But she was not involved in poisoning him in the first place.

Concur, but I am pondering Littlefinger's motivations. We know that Varys had motive and desire to off Jon Arryn, and vetoed Illyrio's suggestion of Ned Stark following. Did Littlefinger get motivated by the spider? This may be a good thread to start on the main.

Archived