This Small Question Thing

Angalin

It's Old Nan who said the red comet meant dragons, not Osha. Osha said it meant blood and fire, which is similar to House Targaryen words, but I don't think she knew that. Her comment, "Blood and fire, boy, and nothing sweet" seems more like she's saying that the comet is a bad omen.

Thanks for that, it's in the show not the books that Osha says dragons and thats what got me confused.

Who were people of note born at the same time as Aegon VI?

He is estimated to have been born in 282 AL. Other people born that year were:

1. Loras Tyrell.

2. Brienne of Tarth.

3. Joyeuse Errenford, 8th Lady Frey

4. Amerei "Gatehouse Ami" Frey.

5. Jhogo.

The births of 283 AL include Alaya, Roslin Frey, Gilly, Desmera Redwyne, Meera Reed, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, and Samwell Tarly.

The births of 281 AL include Olyvar Frey, Kyra, Pate, Sarella Sand, and Shae.

I can't find a link to read about the Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory which Ran refers to in the faq and says was disproved by ASOS. Can someone help?

Apparently it was a theory by Ran that involved Littlefinger being the one behind the attempt to assassinate Bran. I could only found scattered references to it with a google search. You should probably just message Ran directly if you want the actual details.

I can't find a link to read about the Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory which Ran refers to in the faq and says was disproved by ASOS. Can someone help?

If you're referring to the Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory, this might help:

Ran's contribution at post #328 is talking more about Tyrell's actions during Robert's Rebellion and has a link to an SSM concerning this.

:

He is estimated to have been born in 282 AL. Other people born that year were:

1. Loras Tyrell.

2. Brienne of Tarth.

3. Joyeuse Errenford, 8th Lady Frey

4. Amerei "Gatehouse Ami" Frey.

5. Jhogo.

The births of 283 AL include Alaya, Roslin Frey, Gilly, Desmera Redwyne, Meera Reed, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, and Samwell Tarly.

The births of 281 AL include Olyvar Frey, Kyra,

Pate, Sarella Sand, and Shae.

Thanks so much for this! :)

Just some small thingy. . .

Do they use months like us here? How would they know if it is their name day already?

I read something about this the other day. Basically a year is measured the same as it is here on Earth - one complete orbit around their star. Also, I believe it said that there are 12 months in ASoIaF year. Further, I recall that Joffrey and Margery's wedding took place on the first day of the new century, 300AL.

Some discrepancies about the calendar system:

• According to the Citadel there are 2 years between Aegon's Landing and his crowning in Oldtown, and it's unclear which of these events should count as year one. One of them definitely does, though.
  • In the book, Joffrey's wedding takes place in the 300th year since the Conquest, at the start of the third century. This would indicate that the year is 301.

My question is this: what other date markers are we given by canon sources? Where do we actually get our current understanding that the action takes place in the years 298-300? The grand unified timeline of the events of the main series that is posted somewhere on this forum places the dates of later events in the year 301, for what it's worth, but that might be a parallel mistake made through assumptions and extrapolation.

On AFFC pg337 Arriane mentions hearing that in Qohor followers of the Red Priest had rioted and tried to burn down those of the black goat. Is it implied that this religious violence is atypical and possibly something to do with them propagating that Dany is AA? Knowing that your divine savour has arrived and the apocalypse has come would obviously encourage violence against "servants of the great other" as the red priests see all other faiths.

The stone dragons Melisandre keeps talking about... those were Dany's dragon eggs, correct? The burning spell Melisandre wants to do to wake them up, Dany already did that... right?

That's one possible interpretation (Drogo providing the King's Blood), but there are a lot of different theories. Some think that Jon is in fact the Stone (dormant/unknowing) Dragon (Targaryen), some think it might have something to do with Shireen's Greyscale, and there are probably more I'm forgetting.

GRRM has said many times that the birth of Dany's dragons was a unique thing, and I don't think that we've seen any other cases of burning a dead person for magical purposes, so I think it is safe to assume that the sacrifices have to be alive.

Also, an argument can be made that it was Mirri Maz Duur's death that "payed" for the dragons' birth.

Archived