This Small Question Thing

Angalin

In Meera's story he stayed away because Jaime was being given a white cloak. As I recall the story of Jaime's white cloak, Cersei was instrumental in convincing those necessary that Jaime was worthy when one of the older White Knights passed somewhat mysteriously. It is when it is known that Jaime will be given his cloak that Tywin resigns as Hand and takes Cersei back to Casterly Rock with him. It had been Cersei's intent to give Jaime and herself time together, but the cloak only served to separate them.

Got a source about the older white knight dying mysteriously? I just re-read that Jamie chapter and they didn't mention it then just "Jamie gave his consent and Cersei took care of the rest"

They also say that after some weeks a royal raven arrived informing Jamie that he had been selected for the Kingsguard and commanding him to report. I always thought the Kingsguard was something you volunteered for. Can the king conscript any knight into it?

Why was Theon Greyjoy named Theon? The only person before him in the world of ASOIAF I can remember to have the name Theon was a Stark and a King of Winter.

I think it's just a name, nothing to do with the Stark king. Also it shares the -on suffix all the Greyjoys seem to have - Balon, Euron, Aeron.

Got a source about the older white knight dying mysteriously? I just re-read that Jamie chapter and they didn't mention it then just "Jamie gave his consent and Cersei took care of the rest"

One might search for Harlan: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Harlan_Grandison I remember though that the pieces of the story are scattered about, and Cersei herself is a partial source.

They also say that after some weeks a royal raven arrived informing Jamie that he had been selected for the Kingsguard and commanding him to report. I always thought the Kingsguard was something you volunteered for. Can the king conscript any knight into it?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Kingsguard

` This had been bothering me for a while, even though it's not important. However, when Jon escapes the wildlings and he gets to Mole's Town he exchanges his horse for another one. How does this work? Is there a fee for the exchange or is it good hospitality? What if the horse exchanged is worse than the one that was taken?

Why was Theon Greyjoy named Theon? The only person before him in the world of ASOIAF I can remember to have the name Theon was a Stark and a King of Winter.

It could be a First Men name. The ironborn are descendants of the First Men, if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's just a name, nothing to do with the Stark king. Also it shares the -on suffix all the Greyjoys seem to have - Balon, Euron, Aeron.

In the DwD chapter when Theon shows Lady Dustin the Stark crypts, he reflects,

"Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf. My namesake."p.545

As he is passing by the statues , remembering Maester Luwins lessons.

Whats does the "hour of wolf" mean ?

When Jon wakes up from his defending the Wall dream the narration says its early morning the hour of the wolf.

Im thinking they have names for the hours instead of numbers?

I think it's probably just a colloquial term for a specific time of day, probably sometime in the middle of the night, like 2-3 a.m. Like how we might say "the witching hour."

` This had been bothering me for a while, even though it's not important. However, when Jon escapes the wildlings and he gets to Mole's Town he exchanges his horse for another one. How does this work? Is there a fee for the exchange or is it good hospitality?

He got a new horse because he was a Black Brother and, furthermore, on his way to the wall with news of a wildling attack.

What if the horse exchanged is worse than the one that was taken?

The quality of the horse wasn't the issue. The one he had was exhausted and needed rest. The one he got in exchange was fresh.

Whats does the "hour of wolf" mean ?

When Jon wakes up from his defending the Wall dream the narration says its early morning the hour of the wolf.

Im thinking they have names for the hours instead of numbers?

We don't know for sure that the hours match up with the real world, but this is about all we came up with last time this question was asked.

http://en.wikipedia....our_of_the_wolf

I see the notion around here that FM gain memories when they were a face, but I don't seem to remember anything of the sort. I would guess the chapter where Arya puts on a face beneath the HoB&W, but I don't have the books in me. Can someone please give me a quote to this (gaining memories with a face)

Immediately after applying the mask..

"Hands closed around her throat, hard as stone, choking her. Her own hands shot up to claw at the arms of her attacker, but there was no one there. A terribe sense of fear filled her, and she heard a noise, a hideous crunching noise, accompanied by blinding pain. A face floated in front of her, fat, bearded, brutal, his mouth twisted with rage. She heard the priest say, "Breathe, child. Breathe out the fear. Shake off the shadows. He is dead. She is dead. Her pain is gone. Breathe."

Archived