This Small Question Thing

Angalin

Whats not the same??Taking over a position previously held by someone else whomever may hold it is to inherit the position..

It's not the same as the kind of inheritance/succession that Ned is describing. He's talking about the automatic kind. He doesn't say that in time Robert will give Jaime the title; he says that in time Jaime will succeed to it by virtue of being Tywin's son. So the sort of situation you're describing simply does not apply here.

If you don't make the assumption that Ned is speaking quite literally. As in Jamie is going to inherit the title as one would being a heir, then it makes sense. There is more than one definition of the word inherit an that's what I am saying.

If you don't make the assumption that Ned is speaking quite literally. As in Jamie is going to inherit the title as one would being a heir, then it makes sense. There is more than one definition of the word inherit an that's what I am saying.

In order for your interpretation to work, you have to assume that Ned is assuming Robert will give the Warden of the West title to Jaime at a later date, just as he plans on giving him the Warden of the East title. This simply makes no sense. Robert makes no mention of any such plans. Ned is clearly referring to Jaime inheriting the title when his father dies, as he would've done had he not joined the Kingsguard. That's the only interpretation that works.

A title to land isnt the same as a "title" as in a job. Presumably the KG are prevented from the former, not the latter. After all, Robert threatened to make Jaime Hand, which is a Title in our usage but not a title to an estate.

To you it may be. And I don't understand how you say it makes no sense. Who better to call the banners for the West than the son of Tywin Lannister. Just saying... Robert also does not make any mention against such plans.

You're not getting it. I'm not saying Jaime wouldn't qualify for the position, or that his vows barred him from receiving it. That makes your third sentence above meaningless. As to your last sentence, the point is that Ned has no reason to assume Jaime will be given the Warden of the West title by Rober later. His statement is based solely on the fact that Jaime is Tywin's son. He's not assuming any future action on Robert's part.

A title to land isnt the same as a "title" as in a job. Presumably the KG are prevented from the former, not the latter. After all, Robert threatened to make Jaime Hand, which is a Title in our usage but not a title to an estate.

Except that's exactly how wardenship is described, as coming with the land.

“The Arryns have always been Wardens of the East. The title goes with the domain.”

You're not getting it. I'm not saying Jaime wouldn't qualify for the position, or that his vows barred him from receiving it. That makes your third sentence above meaningless. As to your last sentence, the point is that Ned has no reason to assume Jaime will be given the Warden of the West title by Rober later. His statement is based solely on the fact that Jaime is Tywin's son. He's not assuming any future action on Robert's part.

So why cant Jamie inherit the title of Warden I dont get it, its it because he wont be their leige lord. I dont see what the issue is then.

But if that's the case, then why is everyone so shocked at Barristan's dismissal? Releasing a knight of the Kingsguard from his vows had never once happened before that, and when it did happen, it's treated as a radical move. This doesn't really make sense if everyone was expecting Jaime to be released from his vows.

Moreover, Ned doesn't make any mention of Jaime being released from his vows before succeeding to the title. He simply says that Jaime will inherit it by virtue of being Tywin's son. He says it so casually, and without contradiction from Robert, that it comes across as the normal state of affairs.

Who said anything about being released?

He's just going to ignore them, and no one will do anything about it. And everyone knows it.

This is the small question thread. When your begun to discuss a question for a couple of pages it clearly becomes anything but a small question. I suggest you create a topic on the matter and stop bogging this one down.

As for Bran and Rickon, I do not believe we know if they know but wouldn't be surprised if they did know of Robb's fate. Bran has had little contact with others but he does have a special gift, although he might not have seen the death of Robb. Osha has likely heard about the death of Robb but if she would tell Rickon is another question.

Quick question do Bran and Rickon know what happened to Robb?

I would presume so, the Stark (and Snow) children all have a connection between each other via the direwolves, so I'm sure they will have felt something when Robb died, perhaps not fully understanding it until later on though.

Except that's exactly how wardenship is described, as coming with the land.

“The Arryns have always been Wardens of the East. The title goes with the domain.”

Domain is not ownership. The title warden of the east may have traditionally gone with the land but this is clearly not necessary. Why shouldnt an Arryn who is not an heir be able to be warden? for example

Domain is not ownership. The title warden of the east may have traditionally gone with the land but this is clearly not necessary. Why shouldnt an Arryn who is not an heir be able to be warden? for example

That quote is coming from a Northman who holds honor above all else. Obviously his views are not shared by the one person who matters the KING

Archived