Best Storm of Swords chapters? (SPOILERS)

Pinkie Baelish

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me the Epilogue was among the best, especially the scene where Merrett Frey starts begging for mercy, saying he has children to take care of, and Lem replies "The Young Wolf won't have any" if i remember correctly. It sent chills down my spine, also the moment when Cat is revealed to be alive.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you nailed it! The only one I would add is the Samwell chapter at Craster's keep where Jeor bites the dust, I really enjoyed that one. Catelyn's RW chapter is one of my favourite pieces of writing ever I think, despite it being depressing as all hell lol. I think the final Tyrion chapter is my personal favourite, so satisfying!

Samwell's chapter with the flashbacks from the battle was pretty good aswell

Oh yeah!

Sam fell over sideways, curling up into a tight ball to protect himself from the kicks. He hardly felt them through all his wool and leather and mail, but even so, they hurt. I thought Grenn was my friend. You shouldn't kick your friends. Why won't they let me be? I just need to rest, that's all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little.

I was mesmerized. I read that passage four times in a row.

IMO the epilogue was the most holy shit moment of the series.

Funny, but when I turned the page and read 'Epilogue,' one of my first random thoughts was, maybe Cat will turn out alive. That might be because I didn't fully believe Cat's death earlier, because it only said that the knife was at her throat, not that she died.

There are a lot of whoah moments in this book and my favorite ones are:

-Battle at the Fist

-Mutiny at Craster's Keep

-The Lord's Kiss

-Battle of Castle Black

-Sack of Astapor

-The Weddings

-Tyrion's Trial

-The Fight at the Crossroads Inn

-Snowcastle and Moon Door

-Epilogue

Bran at the Nightfort - a good example of GRRM's ability to write horror.

Arya with the Brotherhood, specifically camping on High Heart - the Ghost of High Heart's prophecies are interesting and a little easier to understand than others.

The Knight of the Laughing Tree - filled with lots of good backstory

Battle at the Fist of the First Men & Sam vs. the Other - nerve racking, more horror style goodness.

Robb & his bannermen meeting before the RW

This entire book was full of gold. You listed a lot of great chapters, but almost every single chapter was fantastic in my opinion. I loved all of Arya's chapters with the Hound. Everything was great. This book is just fabulous, I pick it up all the time and reread my favourite scenes and they never ever get old. The only thing that gets old is the book's cracking spine and the tape holding it together.

Archived