Dany news reaching Westeros (ASOS minor spoilers)

jethrie

Hello,

N.B.: This topic may contain some spoilers from ASOS, only if you haven't passed the first half. As far as I'm concerned I'm still reading it too (just passed the "sewer rats" chapter in Meereen), so please don't spoil the end of it, nor of any later books that are still waiting on my shelf.

One of the forum posters pointed out recently, that he liked how news from Westeros were reaching Dany's ears with so much delay (like, Robert or Eddard's deaths, or the Lannisters climbing the Iron Throne). I agree it makes an interesting effect, in addition to being quite realistic in a middle-age-type world.

However I am surprised to read no hint of the other way round, that is, no-one in Westeros seems informed that Daenerys Targaryen is growing three dragons, and using them to raise an army of sixty thousand children likely ready to die for her and her quest.

I find it hard to believe that no one on the western continent is interested: sure, all Westeros is busy dealing with the War of Five Kings, or with wildlings and Others, but the Lannisters, and Stannis and his hindsighted witch counselor, should have as much an interest as Robert had, to keep an eye on one more legitimate contender.

We know Jorah is no more sending reports, but it's made clear in the book, ever since Clash, that a lot of people on Essos know that some exile Queen owns the last threee dragons in the world. I find it hard to believe that our favorite Master of Wishperers doesn't have a hint or two about Dany's acts - but maybe Varys is hatching something of his own indeed...

Did I miss something in Clash or Storm, about Dany being mentioned by some Westerosi?

Indeed now that I think of it, has news of Viserys' and Drogo's deaths even reached King Landing? That might explain how the reigning family may disregard the threat of a 14-year-old girl straying on a distant continent.

Thanks in advance and happy reading.

J.

My personal theory is that the news is in fact reaching Westeros but that the high-lords don't believe it. Remember Aliser Thorne being mocked in King's Landing because of his Wight/White Walker-talk? It is somewhat the same thing. My point, would you believe it if someone tells you that dinosaur eggs were hatched in Africa?

Minor spoilers for AFFC about the topic

In AFFC the word about Dany's dragons reaches Westeros by sailors from essos telling stories about them(the conclusion is that while all stories are different they ALL mention a beautiful girl with 3 dragons)

Qyburn also tries to tell Cersei about them aswell but she doesnt care for it much

I am a bit further down in the aSoS than you (mammoth battle at the Wall) but I think I won't spoil anything by saying this: I think news are reaching Westeros in general, but only the well-informed, such as Varys, Littlefinger etc. The POV characters don't seem to care (Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime, Bran, Catelyn) or probably don't hear of it (Arya, Jon, Samwell) since they are either at large without reliable means of getting news (Arya) or having other things to worry about (like Jon).

The only one that is a bit surpriging is Stannis/Melisandre through Davos POV since they're all at Dragonstone and have their maester and ravens. Maybe for some reason Stannis is too absorbed in the Melisandre/R'hllor environment and events in Westeros and doesn't pay much attention to news from the East. I'll admit I'm not sure there.

Not many people are seen talking to Varys in aSoS, except Tyrion, so not many people we read about are aware of news from the East.

Plus like you said, Robert used to take this threat seriously, but it seems no one else does. This might change by the end of the book, or in further books.

We'll just have to read on!!

I am a bit further down in the aSoS than you (mammoth battle at the Wall) but I think I won't spoil anything by saying this: I think news are reaching Westeros in general, but only the well-informed, such as Varys, Littlefinger etc. The POV characters don't seem to care (Sansa, Tyrion, Jaime, Bran, Catelyn) or probably don't hear of it (Arya, Jon, Samwell) since they are either at large without reliable means of getting news (Arya) or having other things to worry about (like Jon).

The only one that is a bit surpriging is Stannis/Melisandre through Davos POV since they're all at Dragonstone and have their maester and ravens. Maybe for some reason Stannis is too absorbed in the Melisandre/R'hllor environment and events in Westeros and doesn't pay much attention to news from the East. I'll admit I'm not sure there.

Not many people are seen talking to Varys in aSoS, except Tyrion, so not many people we read about are aware of news from the East.

Plus like you said, Robert used to take this threat seriously, but it seems no one else does. This might change by the end of the book, or in further books.

We'll just have to read on!!

I suppose the part is a spoiler... Better edit that out.

Archived